Credit Limit of a Balance Transfer Credit Card!!!

Hello!
I was about to apply for a 0% Balance Transfer Credit Card but do not want to carry on without knowing a second opinion. If you do not mind, would you tell me,
a) Which 0% Balance Transfer Credit Cards have you recently applied for and what was the highest credit limit and longer interest free period they approved/gave you?
b) How much money did you need to transfer and what were the actual credit limit and interest free period you received with the Balance Transfer Credit Card?
c) What was the condition/nature of your Credit History (Electoral Roll, Defaults, CCJ, etc) when you applied for these Balance Transfer Credit Cards?
KInd regards!

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,134 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    A second opinion is not going to help as any offers anyone else has had will be based around their personal circumstances including income. This is used against the risk appetite of the lender in line with their lending criteria.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • hugheskevi
    hugheskevi Posts: 3,833 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    a) Which 0% Balance Transfer Credit Cards have you recently applied for and what was the highest credit limit and longer interest free period they approved/gave you?

My credit limits vary massively between providers, ranging from £3,000 to over £13,000. As Dobbibill says, decisions are based on individual credit histories so there is little benefit looking at other's experiences.

Having said that, Barclaycard, MBNA and Virgin have been the providers which have consistently given me the largest credit limits over the years.

I only take offers with 0% fee, and most of these have been for 12 months. Santander was much longer though.
    b) How much money did you need to transfer and what were the actual credit limit and interest free period you received with the Balance Transfer Credit Card?

I take as much as offered. I don't need any particular amount, I just use it as a line of free credit which is then put toward other financial goals.

I usually select that I will do transfers later during application stage. If I put an amount, it will be for something quite large, around £10 - £15,000. I have no idea whether this influences any issuing decision, and if so what an 'optimal' figure may be.
    c) What was the condition/nature of your Credit History (Electoral Roll, Defaults, CCJ, etc) when you applied for these Balance Transfer Credit Cards?

Spotless in all ways except a large amount of unsecured credit spread across a lot (about 7) cards, both in terms of access to unused credit and use of of credit.

I try to keep used credit/available credit and used credit/annual gross income around the 50% marks as far as possible but particularly with used/available this can be difficult. I can usually push both limits beyond 50%, but only to about 60-70%.
  • hugheskevi wrote: »
    I usually select that I will do transfers later during application stage. If I put an amount, it will be for something quite large, around £10 - £15,000. I have no idea whether this influences any issuing decision, and if so what an 'optimal' figure may be.

So what do you suggest me to do?
    I urgently need to transfer £4000 from an Aqua Card that's charging me £150 per month (contractual minimum payment). I definitely do not want to carry on paying £150 in interest but to repay the debt.
    Should I ask for a £8000 Credit limit when applying for the 0% Balance Transfer Card and cross my fingers to receive half of that amount?
    What can I do to get £4000 as my Credit Limit? Is there any strategy/loophole?
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,105 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you tried an eligibility checker? Do you have any failed applications?

You can't ask for a credit limit, what you can ask for is an amount you want to transfer. I definitely wouldn't ask for twice what I needed. My experience like the other person was good with Virgin. I asked for a 12k money transfer and got it. That was about 18 months ago, and may have changed as they are under new ownership.

You need to take whatever you can get, and possibly spread your debt over more than one card. If you're paying £150 pm on £4k shifting £2k will still save you £75 to put towards repaying the debt instead of paying interest.
  • Dobbibill
    Do an eligibility checker.
    Do you have any other existing cards with a zero balance that you can ask about existing customer offers?

Barclaycard are usually good for existing customers.

If you get approved for a BT card, take whatever limit you are offered and transfer as much as possible to zero percent (this will normally be 90% of the credit limit given). If it's not quite enough, make one more application to see if you can get another card and spread the balance across 2 cards. If declined for either/or both - wait 6 months and try again.

In the meantime keep chipping away at the debt so you require a lower credit limit in the future. Consider heading over to the DFW board where you'll get helpful suggestions about tackling the debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    jhon_83 wrote: »
    So what do you suggest me to do?
    I urgently need to transfer £4000 from an Aqua Card that's charging me £150 per month (contractual minimum payment). I definitely do not want to carry on paying £150 in interest but to repay the debt.
    Should I ask for a £8000 Credit limit when applying for the 0% Balance Transfer Card and cross my fingers to receive half of that amount?
    What can I do to get £4000 as my Credit Limit? Is there any strategy/loophole?

If you have an Aqua card, that says your credit history is poor which means all the 0% offers will likely not be available to you as they tend to be reserved for those with a good/excellent credit history and high credit limits with a combination of good/excellent credit history plus high income/low debts.

Your chances of getting another card with a £8k limit would be slim to none, I'd hazard a guess of getting a limit around £1k mark if you are lucky, with another subprime lender.

By all means, use the eligibility checker to see if anything comes up, but don’t hold your breath.
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/eligibility/credit-cards/

I think your best bet will probably be Capital One:
    https://www.capitalone.co.uk/creditcards/0-balance-transfer-credit-card-12-months.jsf

All you can do is apply for what is available to you and move as much money across to 0% where possible, and then take a look at your income/outgoings and cut out anything unnecessary and throw the spare money at clearing the Aqua debt.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • What can you do?

Cut back on other spending, earn more, sell some stuff, throw as much at it as you can to clear it etc.

Use an eligibility checker to see if you're even eligible for a BT card first, though this won't tell you the limit you'll get.

Even if you specify you want to BT £4k over that doesn't mean they will give you £4k.
  • Nebulous2 wrote: »
    You need to take whatever you can get, and possibly spread your debt over more than one card. If you're paying £150 pm on £4k shifting £2k will still save you £75 to put towards repaying the debt instead of paying interest.

Which cards would you suggest me to apply for?

Dobbibill wrote: »
    Do an eligibility checker.
    Do you have any other existing cards with a zero balance that you can ask about existing customer offers?
    Barclaycard are usually good for existing customers.

Do you mean transfer money from a, let's say, 21% Barclaycard to a 0% Balance Transfer BarclayCard?
    Dobbibill wrote: »
    If you get approved for a BT card, take whatever limit you are offered and transfer as much as possible to zero percent (this will normally be 90% of the credit limit given). If it's not quite enough, make one more application to see if you can get another card and spread the balance across 2 cards. If declined for either/or both - wait 6 months and try again.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The eligibility checker will help you answer that question.
  • Dobbibill

Do you mean transfer money from a, let's say, 21% Barclaycard to a 0% Balance Transfer BarclayCard?

You can't do same brand AFAIK - so Barclaycard to Barclaycard wouldn't be allow. It would need to be from one brand (where the balance is held) to another brand (do you have any cards already which have a zero balance?)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family