PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• westcoastscot
    Options
    I'll ask him Polly, but I do know it comes apart for a hand-held thingy, as he uses it in his car.
    Kittie it was my "bottom line" when I got my diagnosis, the knitting. I'm absolutely gutted. I used to knit everywhere - it was always in my pinny pocket, and how I relaxed and earned a little money.
    Crocheting just isn't the same is it? I may go back to weaving, and I stitch and felt, but knitting is just me, you know??? It has honestly had the biggest impact on my well-being.
    Monna thank you for holding us all in your prayers
    Shropshire Lass I think i'll try square knitting with something - eldest made me some massive needles that were square - they were old bed legs - great fun!
  • 117pauline
    Options
    This thread has definitely brought a smile.

I'd like to join this happy band if there is room.

One of the most difficult things for me is feeling others do not believe how things are.

I went on a pain management course and one of the most useful things was being able to talk and laugh with others in the same boat. I find it helps sometimes to laugh at my accidents with others who can empathise.

Another thing I have found is that I do not like lots of noise and people so time my shopping at the quietest time. When we have been on holiday I always factor in plenty of lazy days as well as sightseeing. If I have to be in a big crowd, I like to get there early so I can place myself where I feel comfortable.

On a good day......... how many times do we say that? ..... I can heed the "pacing" advice but it all goes out of my head when those bad days come.

My best tip on those bad days I do chores etc when adverts come on TV. Those three minutes add up over the day to some small achievements.

I also record my day - weather, food, exercise, things achieved, medicine, bathroom visits, successes and issues. This has helped me to find triggers and things that work.

Be gentle with yourselves
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    SL Thank you will have a look at the square needles .
    WCS It's horrible isn't it when something that has been second nature is suddenly so difficult . It's the things that add up and you begin to feel unlike the person you were . Same with the growing and many other little but important parts of our lives . I know dear Mar is not at all well at the moment so I hope she can still sit by her fire knitting the never ending socks :)
    I will google that cleaner and am glad to hear it has a lift off bit - sounds promising . Have been meaning to mention something you said on the other thread " A small life but meaningful " it has stayed with me and sounds pretty good to me . Monnas signature is also one I love and very true .
    It must be nearly 48 hours since I made that first scary post . I actually woke yesterday morning and thought I had been dreaming !
    Thank you to all who have joined in and also to those who read and I wish a peaceful night and a better day if possible to you all .
    polly x
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Welcome Pauline Always room for another new friend . Much of what you say resonates so much . Both myself and my daughter have long passed the point of being bothered by the opinions of those who think we aren't helping ourselves or making enough effort if we would only try . Motto here is "Those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind " you soon sort out the wheat from the chaff !
    polly

• Toomuchdebt
    Options
    Does the e-cloth mop work as well as a traditional mop? Is the e-cloth different to a microfibre cloth? I have looked at amazon but it didn't have enough details really.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    TMD The ecloth is generally thicker and longer lasting although there are some decent copies out there and some rubbish ones ! I find it doesn't seem to shrink as the others can and stands up to washing better .
    The mop has a flat head so doesn't get in out of the way nooks and crannies as a string type one will . The pad is pretty thick and padded so is pretty good at washing floors . The pads are easy to take off as they are held on the head by velcro , I just give out of the way bits a wipe with either the pad or a damp e cloth .
    I like the fact that either for washing or sweeping the large head covers a fair bit of ground and also can swivel to get under things . The fact it doesn't need a bucket or detergent is also why I like it - just rinse the pad under a tap as you go .
    Hope that helps , I spent a lot of time wondering whether to try it so understand totally .
    polly

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I'll
    Kittie it was my "bottom line" when I got my diagnosis, the knitting. I'm absolutely gutted. I used to knit everywhere - it was always in my pinny pocket, and how I relaxed and earned a little money.
    Crocheting just isn't the same is it? I may go back to weaving!

I even tried to get used to a knitting belt. I have a friend, diagnosed with lupus and she has taken to tapestry weaving, like a duck to water. Also a good way to use up odds and ends of yarn and can be small enough to carry around. I am thinking Scottish scenery on little tapestries. She stands hers on a table at home and just loves doing it and her hands can cope
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Toilets are a bugbear with me. I am so scared of being caught short that I avoid activities like group walking and outings. I was caught short twice in France and it was awful for me. I don`t have much muscle control down there, I blame the massive tear that I had when oldest baby was delivered. I manage fine thses days as I know my limitations
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Does anyone else do jigsaws? I find they take my mind of how i'm feeling, but are easy on my joints to do. I don't really watch tele much, and like to have my mind engaged, otherwise I sit and *think* (for which read feel sorry for myself).
    Kittie i'm going to start a new tapestry this evening, and get my wee loom out at the weekend.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I do the stairs with a slicker brush from a pet shop. It's light and it's prongs get deep down with hardly any effort

Oh and I sit on the stairs doing the stair above away from me , then down, iyswim. I also do the bedroom carpet this way as well as it lifts my hair No stress on joints at all :)

Slicker and my long telescopic fibre duster are used more then the vacuum

Pauline, I'm the same with shops, can't stand them. I always feel like I've become invisible or suddenly become so huge that everyone bumps into me, stands in front of me, barges past me. I get so that I will just end up standing stock still till the aisle clears or avoiding an aisle till it clears

I never go leasure shopping/clothes shopping now. I go into our local town ( more a village) get what I need and get out again quick. Last weekend went for the weeks shop in lidl and the shelves were empty - delivery problems which they say may take 4 weeks to iron out - ended up with buying nearly nothing but I've just had to become inventive with meals this week as I just couldn't face tescos

Still onwards and upwards :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport