Over 50’s life insurance

Options
My over 50’s life insurance says there is a Surrender Value ( a lot less than paid in I know) but in Martin’s article doesn’t mention this. I have now bn paying for 18 yrs n don’t feel it’s worth carrying on- value of payout so reduced! Would it be better to just stop paying? Is the surrender value now nil because of the non existent interest rate last ten years? Think would be better to buy funeral plan outright? Advice? Opinions please?

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,371 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My over 50!!!8217;s life insurance says there is a Surrender Value ( a lot less than paid in I know) but in Martin!!!8217;s article doesn!!!8217;t mention this.

Martin's articles are often basic and only cover a number of things. Not every option going.
    I have now bn paying for 18 yrs n don!!!8217;t feel it!!!8217;s worth carrying on
    Chances are it is not an over 50s plan but a whole of life assurance plan with an investment element.
    Would it be better to just stop paying?

Nobody is going to answer that because you could be better off keeping it or replacing it or surrendering it and stopping cover. We don't have enough to go on to say.
    Is the surrender value now nil because of the non existent interest rate last ten years?

no.
    Think would be better to buy funeral plan outright?
    possibly. Possibly not. A cost comparison would need to be done with that, the existing plan and modern life assurance plans (not over 50s plans).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure