Managing someone with a big ego

Comments

• People with big egos and arrogant- you need people like that in your Organisation because you all hired him.

Don't feel you have to treat them differently , give them a task, ensure they can do it (even shredding) and then give them feedback on their performance.

Ensure they understand the big picture and how their role delivers this.

Ensure you give them specific standards to work to and have regular conversations to ensure they are on the right track , any issue brought up and have open honest discussion with them.

Ignore the individual who said dismiss them as they obviously have not managed people before and if they did it would have been a disgruntled diminishing team .
    Debt is a symptom, solve the problem.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    If this person has been operating like that for decades, they are unlikely to be willing to change now.

This person may adjust to their new working environment in their own time but it sounds they are unlikely to change as a result of being told off by management.

If their conduct is completely unacceptable, it should be reported. But I wouldn't bother reporting minor things.

I think you probably just have to suck it up and try not to let it get to you.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    All we have heard so far is that they are good at their job, but don't like shredding documents, which isn't part of the job they are good at, and are confident. Why exactly would you be dismissing them?

I’m not? I said 6 weeks to improve / change behaviour.

If there’s no change then I’d dismiss not for refusing to shred documents, but for not adapting to my requirements.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If you are not managing this person, don't make things difficult for yourself. Let their manager deal with it. If he is rude then other people need to confront him or report him to his manager. If he is rude to you then speak to him about it. Possibly ye doesn't realise.
    I'm guessing if this person is older and previously had a senior job it might be hard to adjust. That's no excuse for rudeness though.
  • If it was me, first I'd have a one to one, and of course you will keep it factual, polite, and listen to the other person.

If the response is not what you expected or behaviour does not change, report the person now.

Caution advised. If it's a smaller company or smaller group of a larger company, you need to be aware that people at the top do support people at the top and weigh up the repercussions before you complain.

Any sensible person may feel a bit hurt when pulled to one side, but better than doing it in public and it may just pay off.

Finally, keep work and friendship/chats separate as some people can use them against you, ie familiarity breeds contempt. I've been there and learnt the hard way

Good luck :)
  • Ja7188
    Ja7188 Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I'd say that it's really not your problem - put up with him unless anything he does/ doesn't do has a real impact on your own work - it doesn't sound like a battle worth having. If it's felt that he's having a negative impact on the company in general, he probably won't be around long anyway...

Every workplace has members of staff who don't gel with certain other members of staff - no way of avoiding it!
  • andygb
    andygb Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I am in a job where I am in sole charge of my function. However, I do have to work with many other people in order to get the job done efficiently. I have around 25 years experience of this work, and I know the industry regulations thoroughly.
    Some of the people however are much younger, with very little experience of the industry, and had become used to the very lax approach to "the rules" which my predecessor took, which meant that they were breaking the law.
    Consequently, they think that I am bigheaded, a know it all, and they show a reluctance to fall in line with the new, amended procedures.
    My very simple reply to all this, is to make a record of everything, bring it up at the monthly management meeting, or go straight to the managing partner if it is more serious.
    If you have a problem with another member of staff at work, keep an account of what happened and keep your boss informed.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,472 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    There is a big difference between knowing the relevant rules and regulations and pulling people up on that when they are actually breaking the law, and the situation the OP describes of 'not my job' and having a go at other staff members who would appear simply to have asked him to do something he felt was 'below his grade'.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    re: the shredding,

if stuff is confidential, in your possession and needs destroying then it is your job to make sure that happens.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,018 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If there are things which your team are responsible for getting done (eg shredding) and one person doesn't see it as their job, I might look at other things which they could do while I'm shredding and see if they'd rather do them. So eg "well, the shredding's got to be done and I don't mind doing it, but if I'm doing that I can't archive this filing cabinet. Would you like to crack on with that, or shall I archive and you shred?"
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport