oh my life...... Light Bulb moment.

Comments

• DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    I had subscribed to your diary previously and it just popped up again so I shall contionue following :)

Who was the letter off saying 0% won't be offered any more? That's interesting as I'm waiting for one to be offered on my card and they normally have by now so could be the same process.
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • MiMi66
    MiMi66 Posts: 198 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I had subscribed to your diary previously and it just popped up again so I shall contionue following :)

Who was the letter off saying 0% won't be offered any more? That's interesting as I'm waiting for one to be offered on my card and they normally have by now so could be the same process.

Hi Debtfree2012 - it was from Natwest and also last year I had the same from Nationwide - both seem to be withdrawing the 0% and going for LOB rates of 7.9% :-(

Sorry its taken me an age to write back - I have had my head firmly in the ground like the proverbial ostrich! Now squealing having to drag my self up to the air to look at situation - ex husband is withdrawing more financial support - claiming that he and new wife are facing unexpected large bill but will not disclose what this is - seeing they are on a joint income of around £120 000 and have two houses it must be something serious or trying to portray a different version of the truth?? Hard not to be a bit bitter I have to say. Have to go and practice more yoga to control my evil feelings.....
    MiMi66 2023 and moving forward ☺️
    £38154 - DEBT FREE May 2021
  • MiMi66
    edited 15 August 2014 at 4:19AM
    MiMi66,
    I've lurked for a long time now but having read your posts from the beginning today i thought i'd come out of my cosy cupboard and join you. Reading your posts i thought it was a thread i must have started and forgotton about! Yet another single mother of over 10 years, 2 daughters, oldest left home now, youngest just finished 1st year of uni. Yes tried the dating thing but can't afford it!
    My debts around the 23000 mark built up of what?? Not alot to show for mine.
    I also love books ( have a bit of a library going on !), walking and would love a dutch bicycle :D.
    Oh and i'm 46 and a nurse! So if you don't mind i'll hop on board, was getting a bit dusty in my cupboard anyway!
    Jules x
    Ps think my username should've been solwayspender :rotfl:

Hi Jules!! Hop in the same boat as me - nice to have company - and as above - I am sorry I haven't written back before - as said - head has been firmly buried in the ground and I have not wanted to venture out of my bubble. A dusty cupboard sounds a dark place to be - a bit like my earthy head buried place!!

Isn't the Summer holidays a stretch on finances!! And with finances that are already strained to breaking. I find myself thinking about selling up but just so frightened that I may go from frying pan to fire. And I can't really downsize as I am in a very modest semi anyway. Tatty but I love it - and the children do to. So I am awaiting pay ay but sadly current monthly debt is at the point that paying it all off means not much money to live on for Sept. And my daughter heads to uni - and there will be associated costs of set up.... How do people do it???? there must be so many people like us struggling I think? God forbid if they put up the interest rates....

Dating - argghhhhhhhhhhh. Need I say any more. Can't afford it, don't have the waist line or the clothes, or the cash to make sure I can go halves, and seriously couldn't cope if I met a 'bad apple', my tolerance isn't great, and I think I have opted to opt out rather than test my romantic resilience.:rotfl:

So - I try to take small inexpensive pleasures - have taken up yoga which is a delightful way to bury one's head (and work on the waist line 87cm needs to get back under 80cm so I can fit into my old clothes and therefore not need to replace wardrobe- at moment I am unintentionally looking like a shabby sheik vintage woman, and unfortunately am at an age where that doesn't get carried off all that gracefully or elegantly.

Also by throwing myself into work - have done an extra 12 hours on NHSP this month - keeping wolf from door money. Just wish the extra work was reliable.

And my beloved bicycle - I am off work for two weeks - and it hasn't stopped raining in Devon!!!!!!!! Arghh and double arggghhhhh. She is lovely though and I am so glad I have her.

I have just advertised a couple of items on gumtree - a tent and a cot - fingers crossed as the extra pounds will make the difference.

I hope everyone else following my trials is doing OK? Keep focused - and don't panic - that's what I keep saying to myself.:eek::p
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Perhaps you could do a new SOA. I was wondering if you were more open to cutting back on some of your expenditure as suggested a few months back, but which you seemed to be resistant to. And did you get anywhere with your water bills? I may have missed the last bit.

What's happening with daughter - is she at college, at home or away?
  • chesky
    chesky Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry, missed the bit about you daughter off to uni. Is she eligible for maintenance grants?
  • DebtFree2012
    DebtFree2012 Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Keep your chin up hun and hopefully something will present itself soon but in the mean time you are doing fabulouss
    Debt - CCV £3792
    CCB £1383 (took a hit for a holiday)

Loan 1 £1787
    Loan 2 £1683
    Total £8601 Was £39302
  • MiMi66
    edited 23 August 2014 at 11:56PM
    Well, this month the debt is decidedly going the wrong way! School hiday period has hit hard.
    Hi Chesky - my daughter gets a small grant for uni. And thank heavens she has a brilliant attitude to money. I long struggled with the idea of asking her to pay board and decided against it as she has been so good at saving and not throwing away her small earnings that I know she will need every penny at Uni. As for being more open to cost savings? I guess we all differ in what is really valuable as a standard. Having watched Mosley's documentary this week on the meat industry I feel very validated in my views and the fact that I buy small quantities but ethically 'grown' produce. I think you might have the wrong idea. Cheap huge quantities of food that is produced like something out of a cruel nightmare is not for me or my family. So if that is what you call being resistant I am happy to take that title. Resistance is not such a bad thing when up against fundamental wrongs I think?

Thank you Debt free2012 - positive thinking is all! On a happy note I have has some unexpected news. My home bordered two properties that have HUGE trees on the fence line in their gardens. Lalandia? Spelling wrong. Anyway I have had many conversations with both neighbours who acknowledge that I live in a black out ( more war references!) but who refused to cut the trees back. I couldn't afford to do it, so accepted it as philosophically as I could. Anyway. Both neighbours have sold and moved and new neighbours (both of them) have come and asked me if I minded if they cut the trees back and put fences up instead!
    Yahoo!!!! So happy!!! I didn't quite bite their hands off but certainly had teary eyes when the first neighbour with the hugest trees came to see me. It would cost many many hundreds of pounds and I am so grateful they are doing this. So maybe not entirely debt related but it means whatever I can save through to next summer I could put towards tidying up my place outside so the lovely neighbours don't have an eyesore of my house to look at! (And it might just stop it from falling down in a mass of flaking paint and rotted garage doors).

So debt. I don't know. Sometimes I panic, sometimes I am accepting. But mostly I am trying my best to get things straighter.

The kids and I have discussed Christmas already. Reconciling them to a smaller but beautiful loving Christmas which they are on board with. We are going to do a modest Christmas but one full of fun and games and time and food ('good' food). Aren't I a bit bonkers mentioning Christmas in August! Anyone else thinking ahead yet?

My intermediate goal is to have my debt down to £18500 by April 2015. I think if I can the pay off £4/5000 a year (gulp) I will be debt free in 2019. Focused. I think it helps? Realistic pace I hope?
  • MiMi66
    That was a mega ramble wasn't it!
  • MiMi66 wrote: »
    Aren't I a bit bonkers mentioning Christmas in August!

You're not the only one, already thinking of it.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5045717&highlight=
  • MiMi66 wrote: »
    my daughter gets a small grant for uni. And thank heavens she has a brilliant attitude to money.
    Hi MiMi - just spotted this thread this time around. :)

If your daughter is eligible for a grant she may also be eligible for a bursary from her university. The Student Loans people should forward her name to the university automatically depending on household income. This happened to my daughter and two years in a row she was given a nice surprise sum by her uni.

If she needs stuff for moving into uni (e.g. saucepans, crockery etc.) - be sure to ask on Freecycle, you will be amazed what you can pick up on there.
    MiMi66 wrote: »
    The kids and I have discussed Christmas already. Reconciling them to a smaller but beautiful loving Christmas which they are on board with. We are going to do a modest Christmas but one full of fun and games and time and food ('good' food). Aren't I a bit bonkers mentioning Christmas in August! Anyone else thinking ahead yet?

I've already started planning for Christmas - mainly by applying for a second job because I know I can't afford Christmas otherwise. Actually, I've almost never been able to afford Christmas but this year I don't have a credit card to fall back on. :eek:

I also wanted to say not to be too envious of the 'smug marrieds'. Even with two incomes, not all couples are happy and living a life of plenty. At least being alone you have control over where your money is going and you can decide on your own priorities.

As an example, far too much of our household income goes on alcohol - and there's not a thing I can do about it. :(

Anyway, good luck with getting through the summer, through uni and through Christmas when it comes - your kids sound lovely. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback