Life Assurance - mental health

marmitemum
marmitemum Posts: 74 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 9 June 2018 at 6:30PM in Insurance & life assurance
My daughter and her husband have recently married and are in the process of buying their first home. They are applying for a mortgage of £180,000 and will be wanting to take out life assurance to cover this sum,

My daughter was diagnosed with OCD in December 2016. She had a course of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy sessions on the NHS until August 2017. She has never needed medication for it, has never needed time off work and manages it well. She has never attempted suicide.

I understand that OCD is a medically recognised disorder and that she will need to declare it when she applies for life assurance. Is anyone here able to tell me if there are any companies more likely to accept her for a policy? Or are there any brokers here who have experience of getting policies for clients with mental health issues, especially OCD, who may be able to offer help? I’m just trying to do some research to try and avoid her applying and getting turned down.

Comments

• jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Has she tried any so far?
    It might be better to go through a broker rather than direct.
  • marmitemum
    Not yet - they only applied for the mortgage yesterday and took their ID to the estate agent today so that their offer could be properly confirmed and accepted. I was hoping that any brokers reading who have any experience in this area might post or contact me.
  • Insurers may write to her GP for a report as it!!!8217;s a recent diagnosis, but generally the factors that would result in a premium loading or declined application would be hospital admissions, attempts at taking own life and treatment by a psychiatrist.
  • marmitemum
    Thankfully none of those three apply. No hospital admissions, no suicide attempts and no treatment by a psychiatrist (only time she has seen one was for initial diagnosis)
  • marmitemum
    Is no one else able to advise me?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    marmitemum wrote: »
    .... I’m just trying to do some research to try and avoid her applying and getting turned down.
    You are worrying unnecessarily about this - if she does get turned down it does not have any impact on her going elsewhere - getting turned down does not have to be disclosed to other insurers
  • mangog
    mangog Posts: 145 Forumite
    I disclosed an anxiety diagnosis in my application for Vitality life & critical illness covet and they were fine with it - we were accepted at a very slightly higher rate (I think it added £1 a month!) so I don't think you need to worry too much about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure