Neighbours want to dig up our drive

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    If it was me id probably allow it with written agreement that if there are any problems with your drive in the next xx Amount of years then your neighbours will pay for repairs/ like for like new drive. If it were my partner on the other hand he'd say no flat out because he is an unhelpful git!
  • J_S_H
    J_S_H Posts: 29 Forumite
    missile wrote: »
    It is never too early to consult a solicitor :-(

I have a few friends who are solicitors but this isn’t their area of expertise unfortunately. I wonder if Citizens Advice could help.
  • J_S_H
    If it was me id probably allow it with written agreement that if there are any problems with your drive in the next xx Amount of years then your neighbours will pay for repairs/ like for like new drive. If it were my partner on the other hand he'd say no flat out because he is an unhelpful git!

The only agreement Northern Powergrid will give me is that the work is guaranteed for 2 years, I have asked for written confirmation that work will be put back to original condition but the 2 years guarantee is all they will give me.

My partner must be similar to yours as he keeps saying “let’s just say no”.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    J_S_H wrote: »
    I have a few friends who are solicitors but this isn’t their area of expertise unfortunately. I wonder if Citizens Advice could help.

I am sure your friends can advise you who to consult and that would not be CAB.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Do you have legal cover on your home insurance?

At this stage, I think a simple refusal to allow work to take place will do the immediate job. Legal advice may be required if the neighbour starts being difficult but as things stand, you are not obliged to allow work to take place on or in your property. Legal advice isn!!!8217;t needed for that.
  • You haven't a contract with Powergrid so you can specify what conditions you wish otherwise the work doesn't go ahead.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • J_S_H
    missile wrote: »
    "They said" :eek: I would expect and demand a detailed written proposal before I agree to any work being carried out on my property.

It appears you have had detailed discussions with NP and they appear to be under the impression that you have agreed to the work?

I think you are in a difficult situation and it is never too early to consult a solicitor :(

I have asked for a written agreement that the work will be put back to original condition but all they will give me is a 2 year guarantee for the work.

I have had detailed discussions with them but I haven’t agreed to the work, they definitely aren’t under the impression we have agreed, more the opposite to be honest.
  • If your neighbours get uppity, show them the discussion on here which will show you are being very reasonable in the circumstances.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • J_S_H
    Do you have legal cover on your home insurance?

At this stage, I think a simple refusal to allow work to take place will do the immediate job. Legal advice may be required if the neighbour starts being difficult but as things stand, you are not obliged to allow work to take place on or in your property. Legal advice isn!!!8217;t needed for that.

No we don’t have legal cover unfortunately.

It looks like any good neighbourly relations we had are going to be severed which I didn’t want. I can’t understand why they have started the work without our agreement, either they thought that we would just say yes to the work without any agreements in place or they thought they could play the ‘we’ve already started and need this work doing’ card. Either way it’s infuriating.
  • J_S_H
    If your neighbours get uppity, show them the discussion on here which will show you are being very reasonable in the circumstances.

Thank you for that Ms C, I was feeling like I was being unreasonable and awkward but this thread has made me realise that I’m definitely not.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure