Neighbours want to dig up our drive

Options
J_S_H
J_S_H Posts: 29 Forumite
Our adjoining neighbours are (have already started) building an extension on the other side of their house. The overhead electricity cable currently attaches to their house where they want to build the extension. Northern Powergrid have said they will need to disconnect the cables and sink them underground. The problem is this means that they need to sink our power cable too which means digging up our block paved drive. NP have said the work will be guaranteed for two years but we have been given no assurances that it will be put back to the original condition.

My concern is that they won!!!8217;t put the drive back to original condition and that it may sink after the work has had time to settle and we!!!8217;ll be left footing the bill to correct it. Does anyone have any similar experiences or thoughts on what they would do in our position?

Comments

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    AFIK, you do not have to agree to the work and if you are concerned you could refuse?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • J_S_H
    Options
    I have raised our concerns with the neighbour and Northern Power but she has been to speak to us today to say we are delaying the work for her extension... I feel like we!!!8217;re being pressured into having it done.

We were told the plans on 1st of Feb and told the excavation team were already booked for 19th Feb - not giving us a great deal of time.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Does re-routing power require planning/building regs?

Have a good look at the planning portal for the docs on this extension.

They should not have started if this needs your approval.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "she has been to speak to us today to say we are delaying the work for her extension"

That alone would make me refuse permission.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would be really annoyed if my neighbour assumed they could dig up my drive without first asking my permission. I would be less concerned that I was delaying her extension.

Were you served with formal notice of the intended works?
    Do you have legal protection per your insurance?

On the other hand; Overhead wires are unsightly and it may be to your advantage to have underground power supply to your own property?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • J_S_H
    Options
    Does re-routing power require planning/building regs?

Have a good look at the planning portal for the docs on this extension.

They should not have started if this needs your approval.

I’ve had a look and can’t see anything about re-routing the power on the planning portal.

That’s what I think too, I would never go ahead unless I knew everything was agreed to first.
  • J_S_H
    Options
    missile wrote: »
    I would be really annoyed if my neighbour assumed they could dig up my drive without first asking my permission. I would be less concerned that I was delaying her extension.

Were you served with formal notice of the intended works?
    Do you have legal protection per your insurance?

On the other hand; Overhead wires are unsightly and it may be to your advantage to have underground power supply to your own property?

She mentioned it to us a while ago (months ago) but she didn’t know exactly what needed doing and also mentioned another option (but now we are being told there is no other option).

No formal notice, the power grid left us a letter to call them and we Arranged to meet them at our house to discuss work but this was 1st Feb and the work was already booked in for 19th Feb.

No, we don’t have legal protection.

I agree that they would look better if they were underground but not if it means we are left with a mess for a driveway.
  • Ms_Chocaholic
    Options
    Who laid your drive? Can you get a quote from them to lift and relay and tell your neighbours you will only agree to work being completed if you receive payment upfront for dismantling and reinstating your drive.
    Thrifty Till 50 Then Spend Till the End
    You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time but you can never please all of the people all of the time
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Options
    Who laid your drive? Can you get a quote from them to lift and relay and tell your neighbours you will only agree to work being completed if you receive payment upfront for dismantling and reinstating your drive.
    This is a good approach. Any delay to their extension while they negotiate with you is likely to cost them money so they should weigh this up against the cost of covering the works to your satisfaction.
  • J_S_H
    Options

This would be an ideal solution as the previous owner did the drive and I would trust him to do a good job however; the neighbour has already paid the powergrid £1,000 to have the work done and their subcontractors are booked for next Monday.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure