PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    NM I hope that this is your property ! I have everything crossed for you.
    Haven't been posting as I have been struck down with the dreaded lurgy. My cough has broken this morning, so I hope I am on the mend, just a chesty cough and very little voice, to contend with now.
    I have tried to keep up with the thread but can't remember much, other than LilySue joining :hello:. I blame an overdose of cough medicine !
    Hester I'm wishing you good luck with the DGC for next week.
    Polly Can't give you a drum roll but will a clatter of spoons be ok ?
    Karcher have you managed to open the hwb yet ? I use the nutcrackers on a lot of small things that refuse to budge.
    Sending healing vibes to all the poorly people and hugs to anyone in need.
    nan
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • wondercollie
    wondercollie Posts: 1,591 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MMF007 wrote: »
    Minus 31 ° centigrade?? Wow. Coldest I've ever been out in was minus 18 C in Canada, when we were delayed on a flight and they decanted us to a hotel. Unfortunately, I stood in a summer skirt and sandals reading the frostbite warnings at the airport because we were in transit from Hawaii :rotfl:

Karcher, hope,you are warm now!!
    Yup -31C and that!!!8217;s before the wind chill is factored in.

One year, we left home at -32 to go to Mexico. It was +32C when the plane landed. As soon as I got off of it, my hair fluffed up from the humidity.

And I didn!!!8217;t use any bad words in my original post so I have no ide why my post was full of exclamation marks!

Ou airport had a coat check service, so you don!!!8217;t land in warm climates wearing a duvet and felt lined boots
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Polly, it is so beautiful to hear you so excited and positive. You must be walking on air. Not before time, you and your DD have been suffering and fighting for so long that you are well overdue some good news.

As are you nursemaggie. The bungalow sounds just perfect for you. The garden might be small but I bet it's big enough for a clothes line - just think of the joy of hanging out your washing when you want to! You've no. idea how hard I am praying that it will be yours.

I do hope that Mrs LW has some success in her search. She wants to live nearer her DDs and her adored grandsons so much. It's difficult looking in an area that is new to you and a distance away.

Ivyleaf. I hope the blood test results are what you want to hear.

HH. It never stops does it. I bet that by the time the last grandchild doesn't need your babysitting services, you will be in line to take on your greatgrandchildren.

Well I've made bread, biscuits and cheese scones but chickened out on the tangerine marmalade, just didn't feel like it, and discovered that I didn't have any unsalted butter for the lemon curd . Those will have to wait till the mood strikes again.

It's cold here today. Millie and I are holed up in my room with the oil filled radiator on and its still only 15°. I put an old duvet on my bed for Millie but she has climbed underneath it and is sleeping peacefully. I'm wrapped up in a blanket in my chair but my fingers are still cold, so I've given up the idea of knitting.
    The heating has just kicked in so things should start warming up soon.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    LilySue sorry I keep forgetting to say welcome.

Oh that Eaton mess cookie was lush, I would love another one but I am too full.

I can't be bothered to move but I'm cold DS left the door open. He keeps doing it, he is on holiday until next Tuesday.
  • nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    Options
    Oh Yes monna there is a washing line but even better 3 recycle bins and my own bin no one else will use. Recycle bins are all full here and will not be emptied until a week next Tuesday. Someone with 5 kits can't put all their rubbish in a pencil case.

I'll have to move if I don't want to be sitting in a puddle. :rotfl::rotfl:
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,954 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    It's cold here in Reading VJSMUM.
    I'm providing child care as dd2 has started training for her new job, I have two DGC's today and tomorrow. Next week is half term so l shall be looking after all four of them from 8 til 4 for five days!

Ooh I didn't notice you were in Reading - it was flipping parky...
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    monnagran wrote: »

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a long time making it.

Thank you for this, Monna. It is very timely. I have lived here for over fifteen years and tried so hard to like it. Lovely home, but I have known for almost all that time that I am in the wrong town. I am definitely clinging to a mistake I have spent a long time making. I'd already rung the estate agent today to do a valuation on the property, so your Thought for the Day felt like confirmation it is the time to go.

I also liked your earlier Robert Frost comment 'Life goes on'. Frost lived near here for a short time but left and returned to the US to live out the rest of his life. He must also have felt that he was in the wrong town ;).
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    NM - if (when) you get the bungalow I won't mind if my eyes stay crossed - I'll be able to see round corners!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done Polly. Sounds like the massive breakthrough you both needed x
    Welcome LiliySue.
    NM, I sooooo hope you get that house x
    Hester - wow, you have my total admiration. 4 grandkids at once, for 5 days. Phew!

Well I am almost falling asleep in the chair. I did 3.5 hrs non-stop cleaning and tidying this morning, checked on an empty house and collected the post, shopped for elderly neighbour, then spent 2 hrs helping a client sort out a very full wardrobe and a large suitcase.

Got home to find 2 lovely emails. One inviting us to dinner with friends who are visiting our area next weekend, the other was friends from Canada asking when we are next visiting the Caribbean* so they can meet us there!
    I feel all warm inside :)
    Funny that both these couples are people we met on holiday abroad but we really hit it off and have kept in touch and visited with over the last few years.
    DH has few real friends and I only have 6 or 7 (plenty of acquaintances who I am happy to chat to, but not who I feel would be considered real friends, iykwim).
    * a year from now, if we are very lucky and depending on our friends over there invite us to stay again!! I think we were well behaved enough to get an invite back :rotfl: I am saving for the airfare already :rotfl:
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    Options
    Ooh, I hope you get back there next year MMF!

Lovely to hear you had good news pollyanna :T

nursemaggie The bungalow sounds just right, I so hope you get it.

Good luck with the househunting Lyn!

HH Your DD is so very lucky to have you!

Get well soon nannywindow and karcher (and any other poorly people I've miised.).

wondercollie
    Don't worry about the odd collection of things when you try to type an apostrophe; it seems to be a problem where people are using an iPad.

I've now been to the GP. My blood sugar was fine (YAY!! :j), cholesterol was slightly on the high side but still within normal range (Phew), but my thyroxine is a bit low. I've to have another blood test in 2 months' time, and if it's still low he will probably prescribe a small dose of thyroxine for me to try. It probably explains why I've been rather tired lately.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback