Sainsburys disability discrimination

Comments

• Mental health services in this country are appalling. You're criticising the OP for stating a fact.

Yes that may be the case, but I am also reminded that the services are free/subsidised and that OP appears to be receiving at least *some* support. If your default position in that situation is to criticise the whole service then go private.

It pains me to say this, but it sort of is a case of "be grateful for what you have". Not right, but better than nothing/forking out money.
    If someone had a rant because they couldn't access cancer services would you lose all sympathy and tell them to go private?

Well, I lost sympathy more due to the wider context and the Sainsburys issue.

I might well lose sympathy in similar circumstances with a cancer patient. Then again, cancer is generally progressive, more common and more life threatening so I'd expect that the services will be much better (to the point where a fair number of services not offered by the NHS would fall into the "rare" category).

So yea, I probably would tell a cancer patient in similar circumstances to go private. Only the "sympathy" element is up for debate really.
    Your frustration should be aimed at Jeremy Hunt and the government that are doing their best to decimate the NHS, not people trying to access much needed help.

Aye it should be, but in this case *some* treatment is better than *none*
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes that may be the case, but I am also reminded that the services are free/subsidised and that OP appears to be receiving at least *some* support. If your default position in that situation is to criticise the whole service then go private.

It pains me to say this, but it sort of is a case of "be grateful for what you have". Not right, but better than nothing/forking out money.

Well, I lost sympathy more due to the wider context and the Sainsburys issue.

I might well lose sympathy in similar circumstances with a cancer patient. Then again, cancer is generally progressive, more common and more life threatening so I'd expect that the services will be much better (to the point where a fair number of services not offered by the NHS would fall into the "rare" category).

So yea, I probably would tell a cancer patient in similar circumstances to go private. Only the "sympathy" element is up for debate really.

Aye it should be, but in this case *some* treatment is better than *none*

Your post demonstrates the ignorance around mental health. Be in no doubt that, when we're talking about a condition to the extent that the OP describes, it can kill. Each time it does, the NHS investigates and tells us it has made improvements, but in reality nothing changes, even if they wanted to the funds are not there.

Often *some* care is as bad or worse than none at all, it opens the patient up to the hope of treatment and getting better, and then when that hope is removed the patient is even worse than when they first asked for help. Or they're stuck on drugs that turn them into a zombie, but that's seen as a success because the initial problem no longer presents.

(I'm not using the term ignorance in an offensive sense, but rather that people don't comprehend just how debilitating mental illness can be, and how poor treatment can actually make things far, far worse.)
  • Your post demonstrates the ignorance around mental health. Be in no doubt that, when we're talking about a condition to the extent that the OP describes, it can kill. Each time it does, the NHS investigates and tells us it has made improvements, but in reality nothing changes, even if they wanted to the funds are not there.

Ok, if you think that then fine :)
    Often *some* care is as bad or worse than none at all, it opens the patient up to the hope of treatment and getting better, and then when that hope is removed the patient is even worse than when they first asked for help. Or they're stuck on drugs that turn them into a zombie, but that's seen as a success because the initial problem no longer presents.

Interesting point there. Do you have any evidence to back that up like? Something which shows that *some* care can actually be more detrimental than *no* care? Believe it or not but I'm actually asking from an academic and open-minded viewpoint, not necessarily to catch you out.

If you are merely guessing then I will be bitterly disappointed though, because it would be worse than had you just not said it...
    (I'm not using the term ignorance in an offensive sense, but rather that people don't comprehend just how debilitating mental illness can be, and how poor treatment can actually make things far, far worse.)

I do understand how debilitating mental illness can be (both personally and academically). I just choose to use elements of the NHS and other support groups to help overcome it, and try not to slag off either of them for the services they provide*

*that being said, the OCD in OP's case seems to be more profound than most and I did provide a link very early on in the thread to Sectioning, which may be the next step to discuss with the NHS.
  • Yes that may be the case, but I am also reminded that the services are free/subsidised and that OP appears to be receiving at least *some* support. If your default position in that situation is to criticise the whole service then go private.
    Free?
    There was me thinking that the £125 billion that the NHS is going to receive in the next year was from taxes and NI contributions. (Well, to be exact, 98.8% of this money comes from tax and NI payments)

How can it be free if the general population is paying for it?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Free?
    There was me thinking that the £125 billion that the NHS is going to receive in the next year was from taxes and NI contributions. (Well, to be exact, 98.8% of this money comes from tax and NI payments)

How can it be free if the general population is paying for it?

It is free at point of service. No need to be pedantic. Same as schools, if you have kids or not some of your council tax goes to them.

Someone who hasn’t contributed a penny to that 125billion gets the same as someone who may have contributed thousands over their lifetime
  • UN17ED
    UN17ED Posts: 453 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Not sure what to make of this.

I cant see the ban being due to a complaint about the tills. Your daughter doesn't like other people going near her trolley, so how does she stop other customers or staff going near it ?

If another customer comes near then she has to put whatever is in her trolley back and start over.
    If a member of staff goes near when she is in the self service tills then she'll pack it up but won't have it hence why sometimes we used to go in there everyday.
  • UN17ED
    You can hardly blame Sainsburys because your daughter refuses to eat.

Because of her ocd and because she could only have food from there and then they ban her for no reason then I think we can.
  • UN17ED
    z1a wrote: »
    They can ban whoever they like without explanation.

When she has done nothing wrong? When they know that she couldn't eat because of it and the repercussions of that?
  • UN17ED
    McKneff wrote: »
    Is your daughter getting any help medically .

She has a very understanding GP who has helped her when the local mental health team have been appalling and made her worse and is causing upset and stress in all of us.
  • UN17ED
    Ames wrote: »
    I can't help with Sainsbury's but is the problem that she can't go to any other shop, or that it's the only one she's tried that she can go to? Are there any others that she hasn't tried before that might possibly be manageable? I'm just thinking that a solution, even if it's temporary and very stressful, needs to be found quickly so she can eat.

Waitrose might be worth a try, they tend to be small and I've always found the staff to be helpful and understanding. They're not as expensive as people think, at least for the basics. They're not open late at night though.

Would buying dry food (cereal bars and the like) from Amazon be acceptable? if you buy a bulk load they'll probably still be in the outer carton so won't have had any more handling than stuff on the supermarket shelves. You'll be able to get them quickly too.

Unfortunately she won't have her shopping delivered as she hasn't chosen it and she doesn't know who has touched it. Now to us that may sound daft because the items she picks in the shop have been touched by other people but sadly this is how her illness is,

We had been to all the shops within reach but Sainsburys was the place she had to get her shopping from. Fortunately with help from the GP and Asda she now goes after midnight where it is easier for her to shop but still an extremely stressful thing for her to do.

She would rather still go to Sainsburys but for the time being Asda is okay for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure