• pab233
    pab233 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    LBM : A long time ago ...
    Highest : £26,208.60
    Started paying back : November 2015
    DFD : 01/10/2017
    Pearl of wisdom : Stop spending. I don't need books, CDs, DVDs, video games, latest sports equipment, satellite TV

Helped no end by a partner who has allowed me to live rent-free for 2 years and my mother who gave me a substantial sum to clear the debts. If it wasn't for them, I would be nowhere near.

Being totally honest, I'm absolutely debt free as, whilst I am finally clear of all long-term debts, I still owe £2100 to my mother as she paid for some very expensive car repairs for me with the view that she would rather I owed it to her than a credit card. I will be free from that debt at the start of December.

Now to start saving to buy partner's ex-husbands share of the house :)
    SPC 9 2015/16 # 451 £266 SPC 10 2016/2017 #451 £273 SPC 11 2017/2018 #451 ?
    LBM : Oct 2015 : £26,208.60 Current : £0.00 :T Paid : £26,208.60 :) Achieved : 01/10/2017
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,271 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    pab233~~Great result for you.
    Not long til December :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • pancakequeen
    Options
    Lightbulb moment: March 2006

Debt at highest: £18,000

Pearl of Wisdom: 'Do I really need it?'

Debt Free Date: 5 October 2017

:j:beer::j:money:
  • beanielou
    Options
    Lightbulb moment: March 2006

Debt at highest: £18,000

Pearl of Wisdom: 'Do I really need it?'

Debt Free Date: 5 October 2017

:j:beer::j:money:

Great result :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Been debt free for over 15years now, enjoying talking about savings instead.
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • doingitanyway
    Options
    Paul_DNAP wrote: »
    Been debt free for over 15years now, enjoying talking about savings instead.
    Ooh, I can't wait to be in that position :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • Miss_Toffee_Penny
    Options
    LMB: 2008
    Debt at highest: £52k
    DFD: Summer 2017
    Pearl of wisdom: I'm not going to lie, retraining yourself to think differently about debt is tough. I still have the odd pangs for splashing out on 'stuff' but I am getting better at waiting and questioning whether I want it or need it.
    I no longer want to live hand to mouth. I no longer want to be a slave to debt. I want all my wages to myself to do what I want with. As I've got a little older (and hopefully wiser) I now understand the importance of saving money for a rainy day. That's what we will be concentrating on from now on; saving, so we will never fall into the high interest credit card/loan trap again.
    (Used to post on here as Toffee Penny) the people on the debt free wannabe board helped me so much back in the day when I was posting regularly. Thank you to each and every one of you who helped me through my darkest days at the beginning of the DMP.
  • beanielou
    Options
    LMB: 2008
    Debt at highest: £52k
    DFD: Summer 2017
    Pearl of wisdom: I'm not going to lie, retraining yourself to think differently about debt is tough. I still have the odd pangs for splashing out on 'stuff' but I am getting better at waiting and questioning whether I want it or need it.
    I no longer want to live hand to mouth. I no longer want to be a slave to debt. I want all my wages to myself to do what I want with. As I've got a little older (and hopefully wiser) I now understand the importance of saving money for a rainy day. That's what we will be concentrating on from now on; saving, so we will never fall into the high interest credit card/loan trap again.
    (Used to post on here as Toffee Penny) the people on the debt free wannabe board helped me so much back in the day when I was posting regularly. Thank you to each and every one of you who helped me through my darkest days at the beginning of the DMP.

Pleased for you :T

• Alarae
    Alarae Posts: 355 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Lightbulb moment: October 2016

Debts at highest:!£7,076.47

Debt free date:!October 2017

Pearl of Wisdom: Don't think about doing it. Don't think about failing. Just do it. No better time than now.

---

It is such a relief to pay off my last credit card today (even if the payment was over 3k!) as I am officially debt free! In order to pay it all off in a year I resorted to taking on two extra part time jobs around my full time, working 70 hours a week two days a week for 17 hours (excluding travel and work breaks). The third part time job I only lasted in for six months, but I still have the second and I love it! I saved every single penny of my second/third job earnings to pay off bulk amounts off my debt.

I didn't actually have to pay off my debt today as it is at 0% for another year, but it is just nice to have it gone and any money is officially mine, instead of earmarked against debt.

After paying off my card I have my savings started at £500 for this month which will slowly increase through part time job earnings. My car insurance, mot and service have all been paid off in full (no credit!) over the past two months, so no worries.

I can actually save now. It feels wonderful.

One thing I am truly grateful for is the fact I did this now, as I've got rid of this noose relatively young and can go into my mid-twenties next month (25) absolutely free! OH and I got our mortgage two years ago, so next discussions are for mortgage overpayments!
  • beanielou
    Options
    Alarae wrote: »
    Lightbulb moment: October 2016

Debts at highest:!£7,076.47

Debt free date:!October 2017

Pearl of Wisdom: Don't think about doing it. Don't think about failing. Just do it. No better time than now.

---

It is such a relief to pay off my last credit card today (even if the payment was over 3k!) as I am officially debt free! In order to pay it all off in a year I resorted to taking on two extra part time jobs around my full time, working 70 hours a week two days a week for 17 hours (excluding travel and work breaks). The third part time job I only lasted in for six months, but I still have the second and I love it! I saved every single penny of my second/third job earnings to pay off bulk amounts off my debt.

I didn't actually have to pay off my debt today as it is at 0% for another year, but it is just nice to have it gone and any money is officially mine, instead of earmarked against debt.

After paying off my card I have my savings started at £500 for this month which will slowly increase through part time job earnings. My car insurance, mot and service have all been paid off in full (no credit!) over the past two months, so no worries.

I can actually save now. It feels wonderful.

One thing I am truly grateful for is the fact I did this now, as I've got rid of this noose relatively young and can go into my mid-twenties next month (25) absolutely free! OH and I got our mortgage two years ago, so next discussions are for mortgage overpayments!

Great news for you:T

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback