MSE News: PM pledges to raise student loan repayment threshold

Comments

• silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Wilt wrote: »
    Can this be removed from the article? Most current graduates wont benefit unless govt pulls something for pre-2012 loans out of the bag.

To be fair the article is clearly only referring to post 2012 loans.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    silvercar wrote: »
    To be fair the article is clearly only referring to post 2012 loans.
    I think the article has just been updated
  • Thanks folks, yes, the news story's been updated :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lorian wrote: »
    I don't think this will buy her any student votes. She'd would need to reduce the fees at least as far as £7.5K to get some traction.

As Martin explained on his section on 5Live today (from 12:50 - 12:55, curtailed because of events in Las Vegas) reducing the fees has no impact on how much is repaid for the vast majority who will never repay the full amount anyway, whereas the increase in the threshold means less to pay for anyone (except the very high earners) earning over £21K for as long as they earn at above that level. Even at £25K threshold it could add up to £360 * 30 years = £10,800. And if the threshold does increase annually as promised the saving will be even more.
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    MSE a 'pledge' is not a 'victory' until the result is in black and andl has a parliamentary law to inforce it.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Wilt wrote: »
    Can this be removed from the article? Most current graduates wont benefit unless govt pulls something for pre-2012 loans out of the bag.

Obviously if you're a pre-2012 graduate the government thinks you have less need of money compared to a post-2012 graduate on the same salary as you!
    Start mortgage date: August 2022; Start mortgage amount: £240,999; Original mortgage free date: August 2056
    Current mortgage amount: £233.529.75
    Start student loan 2012: £29,750; current student loan: £11.400.50; OP offset fund: £750
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,865
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Ambassador
    Obviously if you're a pre-2012 graduate the government thinks you have less need of money compared to a post-2012 graduate on the same salary as you!

Pre-2012 students are more likely to be able to clear all their loan as their loans were for a far lower amount. Therefore the calculation is different as interest added will make a significant element of the loan. So lower initial repayments, by raising thresholds, will actually cost them more in greater interest that will be repaid.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,698
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    If they go to university and generate say £60K debt without expecting to earn at least £25K at some point then I'm lost as to see why they would go in the first place.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,867
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Lorian wrote: »
    If they go to university and generate say £60K debt without expecting to earn at least £25K at some point then I'm lost as to see why they would go in the first place.

But it's not a case of earn £25k and you've got to repay the full whack. It's a case of earn over £25k and you contribute 9% of your salary over the threshold. It's a tax cut. Expect the threshold to come down sharpish once a competent government get in as it can't be sustained at these levels of write offs.
  • Mogley
    Mogley Posts: 250 Forumite
    Ed-1 wrote: »
    But it's not a case of earn £25k and you've got to repay the full whack. It's a case of earn over £25k and you contribute 9% of your salary over the threshold. It's a tax cut. Expect the threshold to come down sharpish once a competent government get in as it can't be sustained at these levels of write offs.

I think even a competent government will realise the impact on the country will be too far in the future for a 5 year tenure to concern themselves over ruining their popularity. I can see state pensions being wiped in 25 to 30 years time (for the post 2012 era) to pay for the levels of write-off.
    You should pay attention to the needs of the moment - otherwise there is no future. But to ignore the future is foolish - living solely for the moment leaves nothing for when the next moment arrives.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure