How to open a student bank account when studying at Open University?

Options
I am studying at the open university fulltime and wonder if any bank account will accept me for a student bank account?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Damagedcar wrote: »
    I am studying at the open university fulltime and wonder if any bank account will accept me for a student bank account?

Highly unlikely because a condition of student bank accounts is that you pay in your student loans. Which as a part time OU student you won’t have.
  • Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Quite possibly - some of the criteria is...
    You can apply if:

you're aged 17 or over
    You’re studying full-time on a course of at least two years’ duration, or a one-year full-time access course leading to a degree
    You've been a resident in the UK for at least three years

When can you apply for a student account?

As soon as you have a place confirmed, you can apply.
    If you’re already a student, you can still apply for a student account.

Not all Student accounts require you to pay in your student loan. Some state that the overdraft feature will only be considered if you pay in a regular amount. This could be from another bank, savings, earnings etc.

Have a look at the different providers and see which ones you meet the criteria for

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The criteria you’ve quoted states full time course. OU is classed as part time.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Santander only require you to be an undergraduate, no mention of full time so may be worth asking.
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    It highly depends on the bank, some have become more flexible with OU study. I looked into Santander the other year I *think* you need to pay £x amount in for that one and it can't be from another S account.

I do know some people who have got one though, plus whilst for student finance reasons you class as 'part-time' you can even get council tax reduction for being a 'full-time' student.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • gregoryneill
    Options
    this is was precise information. i will surely refer one of my friends who was asking for such information here.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure