Frugal Living 2010 -The Cost of Living Challenge, INTRO

Comments

• thriftlady wrote: »
    I've never seen this challenge before. How come I've missed it?

I think it's usually on the DFW board.

I do all the most of the things in the OP already but still am nowhere near living on so little so best not to count me in. :o
  • Me too please

Hard Up Hester

Never let success go to your head, never let failure go to your heart.
  • cw18
    cw18 Posts: 8,615
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite

I do all the most of the things in the OP already but still am nowhere near living on so little so best not to count me in. :o

Nyk opts to live on £4k.
    My budget for 2009 is £8k.
    Practically everyone taking part seemed to set a different budget - depending on number of people in the household and what they included (mine was 'all-in' so includes things like Council Tax and Water that Nyk's doesn't)
    Cheryl
  • looby-loo_2
    looby-loo_2 Posts: 1,566 Forumite
    welcome to all the new names:beer:

count me in please, I'll keep on with the challenge - the challenge for me being that my house husband (one year into retirement) OH just doesn't get frugal living, reuse, recycle, renew, charity shops, combining journeys, batch cooking, (well any cooking!) the off switch on the c heating, etc

But I'll keep going, not really to save the money but rather to do my little bit towards saving the planet.

looby-loo
    Doing voluntary work overseas for as long as it takes .......
    My DD might make the odd post for me
  • JayneC
    JayneC Posts: 912 Forumite
    HI can I join too please JAYNEC. Not sure how much I'll budget yet, will have to work out my outgoings but think I'm fairly frugal, like some others have mentioned it's as much for environmental reasons as money saving. Will do some sums and be back....

Jayne
    Official DFW nerd - 282 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts'
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z member # 56
  • the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 26 November 2009 at 8:38PM

Fear not, we are not all anywhere near as good at living on a budget as Nyk (or several of the others)! Also many people discount expenses such as their mortgage, council tax etc. so are not including everything

As a guide, I am going to run on an all-in budget of the scandalous amount of £16K:eek:. I have however included absolutely everything from the mortgage right down to the cost of a stamp

I think the idea is that we all set our own, completely individual budget and glean support from this thread in attaining it. I have been lurking and occasionally posting on the thread on DFW and can honestly say that EVERYONE has been made hugely welcome by all regardless of their spending or budget

So to all of you wavering and thinking that your circumstances do not match the challenge......please join in the fun!
  • Julimk
    Julimk Posts: 349 Forumite
    Go on then. I am not sure I can do this but I need to.

Julimk

Thanks.
  • Hi Nyk, please count me....ENJOYFINANCIALCHALLENGES...I have not been as efficient as I could be but have enjoyed reducing my expenses and increasing my income to fit in with my budget. Even though I dont seem to have reduced finances a lot and I dont think I could manage to keep records going like many of you do, I know Ive spent less cash mainly because I have cash left over at the end of the month and not month left over at the end of my cash. Just being on this forum and adapting other peoples suggestions into my budget has been of great help, so thanks to everyone for sharing successes and failures with us all.

Next year I'm going to try harder and keep my eye on the ball for longer....I promise.
    Keep to £400 a month on C/C.
    :j
  • I think i am ready for next year!!! - brief about me I work, OH does not, although he has been able to do a few jobs - his situation is a bit complicated. Privately rent house. I have lottie and hens. 3 kids are 5,3 and 2 (on sunday) Anything else ya care to know ASK

essential rent, debt and water 12,080

budget left: 15 358 - save 3000 (250mth)

= LIVE ON 12 350

2 adults, 3 children, 3 hens and a dog :)

yearly amts
    Electric and Gas 1080
    Int/sky 44 (cancelled for march - kindly neighbour has open net so use hers and tv is going back to basics! - also hve i player and stuff through ps3 and xbox in bedroom for kids to watch streamed from computer)
    Mobile 420
    Home Phone 150
    TV Licence 145
    Clothing/Footwear 500
    Pet ins 193
    car tax 209
    car ins 600
    bdays 240
    xmas 180
    other 180
    petrol 1040
    groceries etc 5100
    hens/lottie/emergency 1800
    with a little leeway of about £500 for the year

I do have the opportunity to do extra teaching hrs which are not included in income and my business will be expanding so the income is subject to change - all that means is that it will go into debts and saving for full and finals.

Does not include any additional income from TCB and other sites - last year saw me sell most of my designer clothes on ebay so not much left for auction sites lol. Also do some pomotion for a jewellery co. which makes me a small small amt of money (maybe £50 next yr)

Wish me luck!! 2009 total to come!
    DFW since JAN 2009 - 2014 will be the year i finally clear debts :) Just to see which month :))))

One adult + 4 children + dog
  • Wow Nyk... we'll have lots of company here.
    Congratulations!! :T sft
    :cool: Frugal Living 2010 member MFW by 2014 Was 88,000 now £46,877.90 Grocery Budget for Dec-April=£173.72/£244 (Groc Budget 2010 from Ebay/Voucher savings/Quidco -If we can do it will save our £980 GC budget) Now living the dream -in our tiny country cottage-all thanks to MS forums. x 39 2 go
    Stockpile Savings: £89.72 Voucher savings £8
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport