What services do you guys use to manage your portfolios?

Options
Hi All

I currently use iWeb as my ISA stocks and shares platform, the interface is very basic and i'm on the lookout for something better to track how my shares are doing, some basic alerting (price drops, news etc) and also comparisons on your portfolio performance vs other major indexes.

Ideally also want Android App support, anyone aware or tried any services (even if not free) which do this?

Alternatively I'm thinking maybe I should look at a more expensive platform which may have the above features.. with iWeb theres no annual fee and a flat £5 per trade.

Comments

• Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,803 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I use investing.com and its mobile app for live prices and trustnet.com for fund and portfolio comparisons. My platform (Youinvest) also provides free access to Morningstar tools which are good
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    Options
    MsMoney, Trustnet, and Morningstar X-ray.
  • bostonerimus
    bostonerimus Posts: 5,617 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 26 May 2018 at 3:42PM
    Options
    I use the performance numbers generated by my platform and a spreadsheet. I have a general idea of the return that I need to meet my goals and as I basically invest in trackers the only actions I take are rebalancing or occasional adjustment changing of my asset allocation. Back in 1988 I had a goal of 6.5% return and today I stand at 8.5% average return so things are working out.
    “So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I check our portfolio once a year, or twice if I'm feeling super competent. Anything more frequent would only lead to fiddling about with it which is costly.

I don't give a button how the indices have been doing other than gaining the general impression that general equities - especially on Wall St - are unsustainably high, and that bonds are much too pricey for us too.

What I do indulge in is intermittent attempts to refine my description of the purpose of our investing. That occasionally results in a penny dropping and my deciding that we should probably sell x and buy y.

If we were still in the accumulation phase of life I'd think we'd mainly use passive trackers.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    As my investments do not mirror any index. Seems little point in tracking performance against same. Instead I focus on the investments themselves and whether they are generating a satisfactory return. That will enable me to meet my personal objectives. There's always a potential higher return available. Trouble is with it comes risk. How much is one prepared to lose? That's the question. As ultimately there's an element of luck and good fortune when investing. Though some seem to believe it's their own skill. Overconfidence being an investors greatest enemy.

Why pay higher fees? Might as well invest the money instead and use it to take a punt.
  • dellboy102
    dellboy102 Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies, I'll check out some of the services mentioned.

In regards to tracking performance I do agree with the points made, at the moment i'm 85% in Vanguard LifeStrategy 100 and 15% I'm actively buying/selling shares so I guess just wanted a easier way to track my own performance against some passive funds and a couple of indexes, the figures will not provide much benefit (as they are not comparing like for like etc) apart from indulging my own interest in how much more money I'm getting for the extra effort and risk :)
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,044 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    dellboy102 wrote: »
    Thank you all for the replies, I'll check out some of the services mentioned.

In regards to tracking performance I do agree with the points made, at the moment i'm 85% in Vanguard LifeStrategy 100 and 15% I'm actively buying/selling shares so I guess just wanted a easier way to track my own performance against some passive funds and a couple of indexes, the figures will not provide much benefit (as they are not comparing like for like etc) apart from indulging my own interest in how much more money I'm getting for the extra effort and risk :)
    I use II to set up portfolios. At present I have a portfolio for our ITs (pension and ISA) and I also have mirror portfolios using OIECs / ETFs, and indexes.

I do this primarily because I use actively managed ITs and so I like to have a guidance for the mean (indexes) and comparison against similar set of OIECs.

II are going through a bit of a re-engineering process for their forum site at present but, I have approx 8 different portfolios listed in II (I also manage my mothers investments).
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family