Savings accounts accepting DD's

Comments

• mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I was able to open two solo Post Office Online Savers yesterday - and a customer adviser confirmed this was OK.

Not convinced - will see if the second one is still operational Monday.

I've done the same, 2 solo accounts.

The direct debits start on 7th of November so I am going to check then to see if its all up and running.
    These are to replace 2 Tesco dds so I will leave them in place until I am sure
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I presume you are talking about the saving account here:
    https://www.postoffice.co.uk/savings-accounts/online-saver

The terms and conditions clearly state only one account can be held in
    your name, and one joint account:

Section 2, 12):
    You may not open more than one Account in your sole name
    and one Account jointly in your name and that of someone else.
    https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:148d19fd-ca62-4604-9560-3548d9f74ca9/online-saver-key-information-pack.pdf
  • The terms and conditions clearly state only one account can be held in

The written TS & Cs are not being disputed - but a customer service adviser informed me that two solo Online Savers could be opened, as well as a joint one.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    djpailo wrote: »
    I presume you are talking about the saving account here:
    https://www.postoffice.co.uk/savings-accounts/online-saver

The terms and conditions clearly state only one account can be held in

Section 2, 12):

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/dam/jcr:148d19fd-ca62-4604-9560-3548d9f74ca9/online-saver-key-information-pack.pdf

May not. Not must not. Therefore if they allow you to, you can.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • First, MSEers killed the Tesco DD functionality.

Now MSEers are moving to eradicate any remaining self-DDs.

Very smart. Not.
    If Tesco etc. didn't want to engage with multiple low amount DD users then they should have restricted such deposits to accounts by Standing Order only.

They recently had to revise the Ts & Cs of their previously no strings attached 3% interest deal on up to £3000 balance on current accounts.

Maybe they were not so smart either ?
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The written TS & Cs are not being disputed - but a customer service adviser informed me that two solo Online Savers could be opened, as well as a joint one.

I've found that the product knowledge of the customer service staff with Post Office savings when I've had to ring them up is very hit and miss. Having said that, Post Office savings have different issues, so maybe the restrictions are per issue - the T&Cs aren't that clear. I have two different previous issues, but have opened three of the current issue. The direct debits have all been set up (I have checked them in the nominated accounts), but I am still waiting for the first deposits to be taken ,which should happen in the next few days.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Sam_J
    Sam_J Posts: 24 Forumite
    One possible option could be to set up a direct debit to a S&S ISA. I am currently with Cavendish Online and they take three direct debits a month (to fund my account and the two JISAs). If you are not going to meet your ISA limit for the year you could potentially set up a DD to the ISA and leave it in cash (an option with Cavendish), before transferring it straight back to you bank account.

Obviously this would be a huge faff to set up a S&S ISA just for this, but if you have a S&S ISA sitting around it could be a way to easily generate a direct debit.
  • I've found that the product knowledge of the customer service staff with Post Office savings when I've had to ring them up is very hit and miss.

My impression also.
    Having said that, Post Office savings have different issues, so maybe the restrictions are per issue - the T&Cs aren't that clear.

The customer adviser seemed to suggest that possibility the way he spoke.
    I have two different previous issues, but have opened three of the current issue. The direct debits have all been set up (I have checked them in the nominated accounts), but I am still waiting for the first deposits to be taken ,which should happen in the next few days.

Please let us know how that pans out over the coming week.
  • The first rule of the 'Savings accounts accepting DD's Club' is.....
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The first rule of the 'Savings accounts accepting DD's Club' is.....
    045-dont-kill-the-goose-that-lays-golden-eggs.jpg

Am I right?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport