Aim to get mortgage down before increasing again

Comments

• Maidenmum - thanks for reading and responding. I have only looked on NW website and for extra borrowing the rate is lower I believe under 2%. Just need to see when we apply for part 3 of our mortgage if rate is still good. Trying to get original part 1 & part 2 down figure and will need to extend out the term of the mortgage. The joys. Off out to try to order dd birthday present.
  • Had structural guy out yesterday to look over house where the window will be moved upstairs and new side door put in so cement lintels will be put in. He is to produce the set certificate and send to the council by end of this week.
    Had a builder round today to have a look at house and compare with drawings. He will price up for us on Friday and take from there. He was really nice but if price is reasonable then need to view other projects he has done to see his work as he was not a recommendation.
    Sent updated drawings to another builder who gave us a rough quote and see if he can give a detailed quote to compare with builder guy today. Fingers crossed things are progressing a bit now.

Dd birthday is soon as she wants a phone. Got a phone which we believed to be locked - several trips to the shop. The phone is locked so went to local phone shop in village to pat for guy to unlock which we are trying to do now and then we can order a sim card for the phone before the big day. Did not gave this hassle with my phone
  • Managed to get dd phone unlocked and it works with the new sim we got for her. She gets this on Sunday for her birthday and a theatre ticket to see grease with me and friends in may. Does not seem much but money spent this birthday but will pull in next year.

Received written quote from new builder which is £47 but we have to budget for bathroom, ensuite and kitchen stuff and tiling work so I think £20k should cover this. Awaiting another builder who sent us a figure of the building work and he had £45/£55k down so at least they are similar just need to see if like above we need to budget for other works.

On Sunday we are having my family mum and dad and brother as well as hubbie mum and dad and his gran for dd birthday dinner. Trying to work out the menu but dd wants broccoli soup and red velvat cake for pudding - struggling to find pudding as the one I usually get is only out at Christmas. Need to look out for this tomorrow as well as get birthday cake from the factory shop.

Grocery spend to date for march is £194.25. Can't wait for Thursday as it my payday and need to curb the spending until then. This month seems tight money wise but luckily i have not sent all money to savings and will hope to make another overpayment next week once I have my wages in.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Our local Tesc0 has red velvet cake in - you can check if your local one has it in stock from the website, I think? (or phone them - I've done that before :D)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Greent - thanks for the info and will see if my local store has one. Tesco was where I got it at Christmas time but it was frozen but really tasty. Looked in freezer section last week so will try fresh cakes section.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Greent - thanks for the info and will see if my local store has one. Tesco was where I got it at Christmas time but it was frozen but really tasty. Looked in freezer section last week so will try fresh cakes section.

Ours have a standard 'finest' version around all the time and sometimes have a fancier one in the party cakes section :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Grocery spend for march is £298.04 - at least its under £300 and we had grandparents etc over yesterday for dad birthday so a bit extra food and drink in for that. Dinner went well but daughter not keen on Tesco finest red velvet cake icing as it was hard compared to the frozen one but still had 2 helpings.

Both kids had their parent evening the other night and doing fairly ok. Worried about ds as writing is really bad - need to work on this but teacher does not seem worried but told us a few things that we were not aware of. Dd doing ok but teacher thinks everything really good when I think maths is ropey so bought some books to work on at our leisure.

Dd loved her phone and emoji new duvet cover from us. Done well with presents and still got a few to get from friends. Dd having a birthday treat with friends in 2 weeks to cinema and back to house for eats and play. Got most of stuff for party bags and just need to get another cake and stuff for treat bags for the pics.

Just made another payment to mortgage of £57 which means it's a total of £257 for march. Plodding along with this and putting money in savings to use for extension if it happens this year.

Advised that our council building control does not do electronic plans so architect to print off all info and plans for them and there is a back logo of at least 4weeks so don't think will hear until end April.
  • Schoolworker
    Schoolworker Posts: 499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Grocery spend for April is £76.33 - a bit high as had to stock up on food for dad birthday treat for her birthday that s coming Saturday and alcohol for friends over last Saturday. Hopefully should not spend much this weekend as freezer has several meals in it.

Got building warrant granted. Still awaiting a detailed quote from a builder but he said I would have this by Friday and nothing so he has most his chance.

Going to contact our mortgage lender tomoerow to see if they will provsionally say yes to the extra borrowing we want - wanted to do a 3yr to tie in with other parts of our mortgage but our lender is only doing 2yr or 5yr so need to decide what to go for. Then we can follow up the references given by number 2 builder and take from their, arrange a meeting for hubbie to meet builder and schedule in when it can start.

Paid £200 towards the mortgage as overpayment and will see if we make anything else later in month.
  • Well spoke to references the builder gave and all seems ok - happy with work but took longer than expected (which I think is for most builders but at no extra cost . Will phone builder tonight to see if he can come to speak to hubbie and see when we are able to start - got a holiday in july and an overnight so think start August would be good - need to see what builder says and get detailed build programme from him.

Spoke to mortgage lender NW and got all figures of payments etc and what financial figures we need to give them to do the check. Was advised that because we have been overpaying it goes against us in ltv as they take into consideration £57k outstanding + £22k overpayment (as we can borrow this back) + the extra borrowing). Phoned against a different number I was given and you get direct to a mortgage consultant who advised us that we should make appointment in branch as they can do further advance for works valuation which will give us a lower ltv as they send out a valuer to value the new extended house from the drawings so you get a correct ltv - glad I spoke to him as the previous girl advised that we would be in 75-85% so I was scared in case it would be a no as too near 85% borrowing which is the maximum they pay out.
  • Managing to survive the Easter holidays with the kids and spending a bit of money. So much for not spending money and not going on holidays. Got 4 stays always booked plus another one to be booked with my family for big birthdays in the family, dad and my 2 brothers and my hubbie.

Builder due to cone to visit on Tuesday night to speak to hubbie and we can find out when worjs can start - then I xsn contact lender to book an appointment to sort out extra borrowing.
    Need to start looking at kitchen ideas as no idea where to start and what's available as I believe they have a long lead in time so will probably need to order when build work start so no holds up - famous last words
    Awaiting hubbie expenses and a refund of tickets so maybe a bit can go on the mortgage and try to put the rest into our savings. Trying to save up £20k to use for contingencies and decoration of the house after build works as well as have money for any other emergencies - not going fast enough for me. Fingers crossed it works out for July time
    Away out to swimming now with the kids.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure