MoneySaving Poll: How much time does your personal admin take?

Poll started 11 July 2016

How much time does your personal admin take?

We all have to do it – deal with bills, bank online, book travel & holidays, file letters and receipts, collect vouchers, sort out problems with the home, cope with tax credits / benefits, manage kids' school requests and more.

How much time do you spend in a typical week on personal admin (excluding cleaning your home / gardening)?

Did you vote? Are you surprised at the results so far? Have your say below. To see the results from last time, click here.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks! :)

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 239
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Checking emails? How long???
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    It takes forever, because i keep putting it off until there's a mountain of things to sort out.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • I am a single woman, yes, but I have a father who has dementia that he was very clever at hiding it. It has been taking me a great deal of time to deal with the scams, banks, Action Fraud, police, credit cards, inertia marketing, mass of charity subscriptions and other general things that he has signed up for such as some superduper air heat exchanger and commercial shutters across the back of his tiny terrace house (he was an engineer and still LOVES gadgets. I think only someone who has gone through this will understand. I think that there doesn't seem to be too much difference between the sexes as to time spent. Reckon anyone spending over 10 hours a week is self employed and doing VAT or something similar.
  • G6JPG
    G6JPG Posts: 147
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I get a credit card bill and current account statement once a month (and ground rent/electricity every four weeks), so probably that'd be a better interval to ask about; I have weeks when I don't do any (financial, anyway!) admin.

(Yes, I know there are things that only happen once a year too, and at other intervals. But I think a lot of people will have monthly things.)

[Yes, obviously, I guessed it by dividing my monthly time by about four.]
  • lisa110rry
    lisa110rry Posts: 1,794
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I reckon I must spend an average of two hours per week on personal admin. However that is purely an average as insurances only happen once a year.
    “And all shall be well. And all shall be well. And all manner of things shall be exceeding well.”
    ― Julian of Norwich
    In other words, Don't Panic!
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I would say overall a couple of hours a Year. We file everything and place in relevant categories, so always know where we stand up to date on the finances, which can be dealt with on an as and when scenario.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • Hi, I'm new here, just had to join because I'm unhappy about the limited choice of household options. No option for single with dependent kids!

I know that in many couples the paperwork falls to one person more than another, but I have extra paperwork because of being a single parent :-(
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Money Saving Expert
    Hi - Im somewhat confused. There is an option for a single person with kids.

"I'm a woman with a family"

We deliberately don't make any mention of being in a couple. A single person with kids is a family as far as we're concerned, as is a couple with kids. Rightly the modern definition of a family is a broad one. :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • ScarletBea
    ScarletBea Posts: 2,913
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    Hi - Im somewhat confused. There is an option for a single person with kids.

"I'm a woman with a family"

Well, every person has live family, near or far. When did 'family' started meaning 'children'??
    Being brave is going after your dreams head on
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    marleyboy wrote: »
    I would say overall a couple of hours a Year. We file everything and place in relevant categories, so always know where we stand up to date on the finances, which can be dealt with on an as and when scenario.
    ^^ He doesn't see most of it :rotfl: Including school stuff, it's a couple of hours per week.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport