Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Comments

• Just wanted to say thanks to Martin. After seeing the programme on TV I phoned Halifax and within 3 minutes the guy said I would receive a cheque for £155. I did! The easiest and quickest £155 I have ever made or ever likely to make again.

Keep up the good work. Who knows you might get an OBE one day - you deserve it.

Thanks again.

Val.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just wanted to say thanks to everyone (especially Martin of course)!!. I just got a cheque off A&L for £210!!!

Even more surprising is the fact that I worked it out at £163, so I think I got too much back. Don't think I'll bother ringing them though;)

Thanks again guys.
  • :beer: Thanks to this website we just got a cheque from Abbey for £160- all it took was to request a form, fill out mortgage number and post off!
    All we need now is our court case on2/10/07 to go as well - You are a star, thank you. Donna
  • Just got a cheque thru the post from Abbey for £175!
    All it took was to ring them, they then sent out a simple 1 page form for us to complete and then posted it off and hey presto a nice cheque!
    We agreed £50 on our contract, paid £225 on exit last year, hence the £175!

Brilliant - thanks Martin! :T
    Newbie :j
  • OMG, i didnt think i would get anything so put off ringing Abbey, simple call to request form, form came returned 2nd class stamp, and i cant believe it i got a cheque this am for £140, i am so gobsmacked!!!!
    always on the lookout for a bargin always better when its free!!:T

• techspec
    techspec Posts: 4,464 Forumite
    Just phoned Natwest, using number in Martin's guide, and was offered full amount of £140.

Now thats what you call easy money!!
  • I had a mortgage with the Bradford and Bingley from 2000 to 2005 before moving to another lender. My exit fee was hiked from £75 to £235 by the time I left which I just paid without thinking about it...

After I read the article about reclaiming in the weekly email I just used the template letter provided, filled in my details and sent it off to the B & B - only took about 10 minutes. They wrote to me yesterday and said they're sending me a cheque for £160, simple as that!

MoneySavingExpert - Thank you! :D:D
  • Martin - just wanted to say thanks a million for your easy to understand, straight to the point articles. We went back through all of our redeemed mortgages and have been able to claim back nearly £200.00 (better than a kick up the you know what!) in unfair mortgage exit administration fees from three different lenders. We used your sample letter which was just great and it only took literally 10 minutes to put them together. If we didn't have information on what we had actually paid when we redeemed the mortgage, we just sent a standard letter off and the lender did all the work and investigation for us. Fab! These lenders behave in such an unscrupulous fashion, no wonder they make such much money!

I've also done letters today to the brokers we used when we purchased our endowment policies in 1990. I had not realised we could claim compensation for this until I read it on your site. Fingers crossed, it's worth a try I just hope it's not too late to claim. The projection at the moment is that my policy alone will pay out 47.2% less than was originally predicted. We are very lucky as we don't have a mortgage now, but that's not the point. I was 23 and naive when I bought the policy and my first house. I remember coming out of the brokers thinking I had won the pools (they didn't have the lottery then!) The policy would pay off my mortgage AND give me a lump sum at the end. NOT!!! I'll let you know how we get on.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble, just wanted to let you know that I think you are fab and what would we all do without you.

Cheers
    Jackie

Big clap and cheer for you! :T
  • Just received a letter telling me that they are sending me a cheque for £160. any thanks for your template letter it worked a treat all for the cost of a stamp.
  • Paid off our mortgage with the Halifax last October. I phoned the dedicated number and spoke to a very agreeable young man, there was no awkwardness and he merely asked for the roll number and date of redemption and my personal details. He then looked up the details and said that there was a difference of £135 between the original redemption fee and what we had paid in October and that it could be dealt with over the phone, no forms to fill in. He then promised a chq for £135 within the next 28 days. Total time spent on the phone, 4 minutes. Very pleased, thanks Martin.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure