Windows 10, update to "1803" file download?

Options
My desktop PC is stubbornly refusing to update from Windows 10, 1709 to 1803 (think I have those version numbers correct).

I've wasted a lot of time over it, not to mention wasting data allowance at an estimated 3 or 4 GB a try. The Windows update site only seems to have a small pre-load file that downloads an update, it says there is an error and starts to download all over again :mad:

Does anyone have a link to the update file for a "one off" download to avoid the endless loop?

Thanks

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,309 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Given the number of posters saying that the latest update has "killed their PC" and two local to me, I would leave it until M$ have sorted out their problems.
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had some issues updating VMware virtual machines, but I updated their hardware versions and then they worked.

I've a couple of older laptops in the process of updating right now, so will report back if any issues.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    My desktop PC is stubbornly refusing to update from Windows 10, 1709 to 1803 (think I have those version numbers correct).

I've wasted a lot of time over it, not to mention wasting data allowance at an estimated 3 or 4 GB a try. The Windows update site only seems to have a small pre-load file that downloads an update, it says there is an error and starts to download all over again :mad:

Does anyone have a link to the update file for a "one off" download to avoid the endless loop?

Thanks

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

follow the instructions for creating installation media.
  • donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    Options
    My laptop updated about two weeks ago.

It took 5 and half hours!!!!:eek::eek::eek: But it did do it on my 6-year-old machine, I just left it to do its thing just having a quick look to see how far along it was every so often.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've done it on 3 machines now, with varying results. 1 was fine except it reverted the keyboard to US English and I had to download the UK English pack again. 1 seems to have caused a printing problem that I still haven't resolved. And 1 failed to install until I used msconfig to disable all non-MS started processes.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,855 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have updated 7 machines. A couple decided to fail on install but downloaded again and installed ok. Some had the US keyboard as well. Just the time it took was the biggest problem.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    wongataa wrote: »
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

follow the instructions for creating installation media.

Thanks wongataa, I thought there might have been a "patch", rather than download the whole Win 10 installation disk ISO.

I'll back up my hard disk then give it a go.

Thanks
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,280 Forumite
    Options
    It's the MS plan with Windows 10. Every 6 months a complete new build and in between minor updates
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    You want Win10_1803_EnglishInternational_x64.iso as opposed to Win10_1803_English_x64.iso

Both links direct from Microsoft and valid for just twenty four hours.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks wongataa, I thought there might have been a "patch", rather than download the whole Win 10 installation disk ISO.

I'll back up my hard disk then give it a go.

Thanks
    There is no patch as these major updates are actually a whole new OS which is why you can get the ISO files of them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure