Full refund on faulty products but not the carrier bag

Before you read I must stress I'm looking to highlight the principle involved here not the sums of money!

I bought 3 items from a retailer and paid 5p for a carrier bag.
The 3 items I purchased were faulty so returned them to store for a refund.
There was no quibble from the staff except that I couldn't get a refund for the 5p carrier bag as it "had been used".
Despite it being clearly listed on the receipt with the other items.
So had to leave the shop with an empty carrier bag that I don't need, carrying advertising for the retailer and am out of pocket for the privilege of being sold faulty goods.
Is this right?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Before you read I must stress I'm looking to highlight the principle involved here not the sums of money!

I bought 3 items from a retailer and paid 5p for a carrier bag.
    The 3 items I purchased were faulty so returned them to store for a refund.
    There was no quibble from the staff except that I couldn't get a refund for the 5p carrier bag as it "had been used".
    Despite it being clearly listed on the receipt with the other items.
    So had to leave the shop with an empty carrier bag that I don't need, carrying advertising for the retailer and am out of pocket for the privilege of being sold faulty goods.
    Is this right?

Yes, you paid for a bag and there was nothing wrong with it.

Your choice to carry on advertising and not putting it in your pocket.
  • Yes, you paid for a bag and there was nothing wrong with it.

Your choice to carry on advertising and not putting it in your pocket.
    Thanks Andy - apologies if it wasn't clear in my original post - my issue is that I was denied a refund. I asked for a full refund including the cost of the bag which I returned
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But there is nothing wrong with the bag.
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Oakdene wrote: »
    But there is nothing wrong with the bag.

Yes but I didn't intend to go to the shop to buy a 5p bag alone.
    I'm not satisfied that having been sold faulty products I have effectively bought a bag that I don't want or need. As the bag itself is in fine condition they can reuse it for a customer who will make use of it. Appreciate the cost is derisory but why should the consumer be out of pocket in this scenario.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes they should've refunded the bag. Doesn't matter that there was nothing wrong with the bag - if you order things together and some goods don't conform, you have the option of:
    1) rejecting all goods
    2) accepting all goods
    3) rejecting the goods that don't conform and accepting the goods that do conform

If any of the goods formed a commercial unit then you cant reject some of those goods and must reject all goods that form that unit.

However what you can't do (which might apply here if you purchased other items) is only reject some that conform. When it comes to goods that do conform you can't reject just some of them, its an all or nothing affair.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/section/21/enacted
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • You could have
    a. Brought your own bag
    b. Taken your goods without a bag.

It was your choice to buy a bag the whole point of charging for them is so that you bring your own bag.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Bloody hell is this what this forum has come too...... advice on a 5p carrier bag.......
  • miniemma
    miniemma Posts: 505 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    You could have
    a. Brought your own bag
    b. Taken your goods without a bag.

It was your choice to buy a bag the whole point of charging for them is so that you bring your own bag.

What he said ^^^^
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes but I didn't intend to go to the shop to buy a 5p bag alone.
    I'm not satisfied that having been sold faulty products I have effectively bought a bag that I don't want or need. As the bag itself is in fine condition they can reuse it for a customer who will make use of it. Appreciate the cost is derisory but why should the consumer be out of pocket in this scenario.

If you neither want or need the bag why did you buy it?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If you neither want or need the bag why did you buy it?

Presumably to carry the products which turned out to be faulty - isn't it obvious?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure