• karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm now sitting with my egg/toast and a black coffee

:)

Edit: and finished :)

Coffee cost is 3½p

I could be quite tempted by egg and soldiers, but after having egg last night I don't want them again today.

Ages since I had egg and soldiers...maybe that'll be on the menu tomorrow?
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Morning everyone
    Not CFO today so lasagne tonight and probably naughty lorne sausage & HP sauce sandwich for lunch I will see what the "boy" fancies when he surfaces.:D

Re grapes - I've still got a punnet of perfectly fine red grapes in the fridge with BB date of 29/12 which I'm working my way through!!! (No cashmere or yaghts here LOL ;))So I wouldn't stress about using them up if you get some just keep cold:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »

Re grapes - I've still got a punnet of perfectly fine red grapes in the fridge with BB date of 29/12 which I'm working my way through!!! (No cashmere or yaghts here LOL ;))So I wouldn't stress about using them up if you get some just keep cold:)

I don't struggle to use them up - they get wolfed down in 1-2 days without any trouble ... the trouble, for me, is justifying the cost for what is "nibbles" really. I compare a punnet of grapes at, say, £1.85 with a huge pizza at £1.80-2 ....

Food is judged on how much it contributes towards "actual food" and filling my belly each day. Grapes tend to be eaten like sweeties, so "surplus to requirements".

Now I need to look up the calories in grapes.... ah, a 500 gram pack is 350 calories. Not too bad.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 10:36AM
    Sorry Pastures - but I've just been to the supermarket and your comments about grapes had me looking at them and thinking "Yep...there's some nice-looking red ones" there and in the trolley they went.......

I don't own a single cashmere sweater/don't belong to a yacht club (I wish to both - as I rather fancy the thought....oh well....not in my price bracket....).

Today's supermarket visit saw me trudging in wearing a jumper passed on from my mother and that raincoat I bought the other day when a friend dragged me into the local Oxfam shop and some jeans that I'd like to replace (but not just yet.....).

I prioritise food over clothes when there's not enough money for both - on the basis that I can chuck off the clothes I'm wearing and put on some better ones in moments come the time I can afford both. But the effects of eating unhealthily could last for years...
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »

It's not using them up that's the problem...I could quite happily eat the whole lot on the day of purchase. :)

It's the cost that is prohibitive to me :o. I see them as quite an expensive treat so only buy them occasionally as a treat :o
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Oh yes - I dont think I've ever seen chard on sale in any shops - even Waitrose and I've no longer got a Waitrose around nearby:(. I don't think I've ever seen sorrel on sale either?? - so I've got that there permanently in my garden.

Fortunately - I can still get at farm shops and a farmers market - so thats where I buy more "modern" vegetables. I have grown chard myself and must get some more planted up for the coming year. Add that there's some vegetables that aren't available at all yet anywhere - so I'll have to grow them myself in order to get them.

Oh well...off to the supermarket again in a minute. Always a frustrating experience hunting for much of "my" sort of food at all in a small supermarket. I do sometimes walk around it feeling more than a little frustrated that I can see, for instance, lots of conventional type cereals there but all there is for someone like me is that I can manage to buy my organic jumbo porridge oats for my breakfast porridge/etc there. So I leap fast on any of "my" food I spot when there - as it's gradually coming onto the shelves - but the ratios of junk food to "my" food must be something like 10 to 1 at best still.

Chard, and a lot of other 'unusual' greens used to be sold in Morrisons, I liked one called Mibuna, and I think there was a Mizuna too (something like that anyway). I haven't really been in for a few years though and I think last time I went it was back to just normal cabbage etc.
    Save
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ames wrote: »
    Chard, and a lot of other 'unusual' greens used to be sold in Morrisons, I liked one called Mibuna, and I think there was a Mizuna too (something like that anyway). I haven't really been in for a few years though and I think last time I went it was back to just normal cabbage etc.
    Save

There is both Mibuna and Mizuna, Mibuna being a mustardy flavour which is stronger than mizuna. Love them both. Very easy to grow as is chard, not sure why SM don't stock it.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,049
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ames wrote: »
    Save
    karcher wrote: »
    There is both Mibuna and Mizuna, Mibuna being a mustardy flavour which is stronger than mizuna. Love them both. Very easy to grow as is chard, not sure why SM don't stock it.

Morrison's locally did for a short while stock some more unusual veg - but stopped no doubt due to lack of demand. Small towns in the West of Scotland aren't in the main known for their culinary adventureness:( I love all the green leaves especially mustard leaf- do grow some each year but the season is short and they tend to bolt quite quickly:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 12:59PM
    Lunch was a success *burps*.

I used one of the baking spuds and mixed it with some very hot/strong chilli cheese that needs to be used up and I threw in a tiny bit of red onion .... and then grilled that and served with the other half of the tin of beans/sausages I opened yesterday.

Bit of a "push the boat out" lunch price-wise, but well tasty and worthwhile.

Ingredients 40p plus the pricey cheese at 56p, so call it £1. This is what happens when you splash out for Xmas and buy "a nice bit of cheese" instead of bog standard £4.25/Kg cheddar at Lidl/Aldi. Done with cheddar (maybe splash of Tabasco) and bog standard beans it'd have come in closer to 60p.
  • caronc wrote: »
    Morrison's locally did for a short while stock some more unusual veg - but stopped no doubt due to lack of demand. Small towns in the West of Scotland aren't in the main known for their culinary adventureness:( I love all the green leaves especially mustard leaf- do grow some each year but the season is short and they tend to bolt quite quickly:)

Have you tried growing sorrel (as in the standard variety)? Think it's called French sorrel? Its the large leaf variety anyway. I'm quite partial to that and one of my CBA meals is a cheese and sorrel omelette made with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure