Cooking for one

Comments

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I heard little violins playing for the grapes that PasturesNew rejected in favour of the biccies and would now have made an ideal healthy picky snack.

Those grapes are gutted, abandoned and heartbroken :D

Too late now PN! :p
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    TROY-100 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thought I'd save money and buy a couple of cheap noodle thingies from B and M, on offer for 30p each. They smell like bin wagons and taste how I would expect bin wagons to taste! I've binned them and am going to have cheese on toast for tea. Steer clear of Noodle Express stuff from B and M!

In the main I take out the flavour sachet - then you've just got regular noodles and can add in any flavours you like ... random stuff from that old collection of glass jars that kick around in the corner of the kitchen... or jazz it up with half a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, or even half a tin of peas.

It's probably cheaper for me to just buy packs of thread noodles and snap a sheet in half ... but I'd bought the noodle packs years ago when I was eating more of them.

That's the thing - you eat some stuff endlessly, stock up, then one day you stop and it all lurks.
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    katkin wrote: »
    I heard little violins playing for the grapes that PasturesNew rejected in favour of the biccies and would now have made an ideal healthy picky snack.

Too late now PN! :p

I was used to there only being two types of grapes: Green and black. I saw the Red for the first time a few months ago and bought them (£1.65 at the time) expecting to be disappointed as grapes are usually pretty grim/soft... and they were gorgeous! So I've bought 3 more packs since. All from Lidl. I then picked up a punnet in Home Bargains and that was pretty rank.

The ones I saw yesterday were in Aldi - and there was a strange, different variety of grape alongside.... jet black in colour they were, I think they said Noir (which would make sense of course) - but these were blacker than what I'd ever seen before as black grapes. These were very black. I'd like to try one .... but I'd be too scared to waste money on a whole punnet in case I were disgusted or disappointed.

Trying new things is one thing you can't easily do if you're "one" - it's too much commitment to buying something you might despise. With other people around they recommend/suggest or bring/offer stuff to try, without the commitment of a whole pack to yourself to plough through.

Re: Scoffing with wild and gay abandon.
    I snapped - and grabbed 2 bits of toast and had half a tin of beans/sausages on top :)
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    Karma .... is getting belly ache 10 minutes after you've sneaked into the kitchen and helped yourself to 2 bourbon biscuits and 2 chocolates. :(
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 7:02AM
    caronc wrote: »
    Yes in someways but round here in both supermarkets and independants it's very much traditional on the F&V front even things like chard which is pretty mainstream now and no local asian grocers etc. :(which tend to hold a more varied range of things. Chard is one of the things I make a point of growing every year as it's a great veg for picking just what you need ideal for solo cooks:)

Oh yes - I dont think I've ever seen chard on sale in any shops - even Waitrose and I've no longer got a Waitrose around nearby:(. I don't think I've ever seen sorrel on sale either?? - so I've got that there permanently in my garden.

Fortunately - I can still get at farm shops and a farmers market - so thats where I buy more "modern" vegetables. I have grown chard myself and must get some more planted up for the coming year. Add that there's some vegetables that aren't available at all yet anywhere - so I'll have to grow them myself in order to get them.

Oh well...off to the supermarket again in a minute. Always a frustrating experience hunting for much of "my" sort of food at all in a small supermarket. I do sometimes walk around it feeling more than a little frustrated that I can see, for instance, lots of conventional type cereals there but all there is for someone like me is that I can manage to buy my organic jumbo porridge oats for my breakfast porridge/etc there. So I leap fast on any of "my" food I spot when there - as it's gradually coming onto the shelves - but the ratios of junk food to "my" food must be something like 10 to 1 at best still.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

Re: Scoffing with wild and gay abandon.
    I snapped - and grabbed 2 bits of toast and had half a tin of beans/sausages on top :)

I knew you wouldn't let us down PN :)

My Crustless Quiche was very good even if I do say so myself :cool:
    I scoffed the lot too, so no LO....and apart from a dollop of chilli mayo on the side I had it on it's own and resisted a chunk of bread and butter. :D

Just the bloody washing up to do now :(
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    katkin wrote: »

They shouldn't be so flipping expensive then :p

Anyway some rich person will have grabbed them without even glancing at the cost...coz they don't need to, and will eat a few with their expensive wine and cheese and if any are left over they'll probably be jettisoned into the bin without a care in the world :(....
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 9:11AM
    karcher wrote: »
    ....some rich person will have grabbed them without even glancing at the cost...coz they don't need to, and will eat a few with their expensive wine and cheese and if any are left over they'll probably be jettisoned into the bin without a care in the world :(....

Sad ... but very true. Probably while wearing cashmere and while getting ready for dinner out at the local yacht club :)

I just decided on breakfast - I have some large eggs and I have bread.... so it's egg/soldiers. Cost 10p and on my lap in under 5 minutes :)
  • karcher
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Sad ... but very true. Probably while wearing cashmere and while getting ready for dinner out at the local yacht club :)

Pah to them I say!

I have a few options on the CFO front today. Pizza, Fish Finger sarnies, Dhal and Flatbreads (if I cba to make any), beans on toast pasta and pesto, a veg draw full of veg type stuff....In fact too many options!

Can't think about it now it's taking up too much energy...I'll decide later!
  • PasturesNew
    Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 9:22AM
    I'm now sitting with my egg/toast and a black coffee

:)

Edit: and finished :)

Coffee cost is 3½p
This discussion has been closed.