PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Taking bulk buying to an extreme! Strange behaviour.

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    swingaloo wrote: »
    The only other thing I hoard/collect are scarves, I have dozens. Not thick wooly ones but the type you can wear over a jumper or tee-shirt. More decoration than anything. Mind you I get the all from charity shops, I wouldnt dream of paying a tenner for a new one.

Although another quirk- (people are going to think Im mad reading this thread). I collect the new £5 notes. I havent spent one since they first came into circulation. It started because I have childrens birthdays in October and November so decided to give them £30 each in new fivers. Ever since then I just keep them, I cant spend one and will change a ten or twenty before I will part with one.

Iv got them all stashed in a sock in my sock drawer (I tend to have a lot of socks too!) I try not to count up how much Ive saved but I was well over £200 about 6 weeks ago.

With you on the fivers

To make it harder to use them, Dh has made a box for them, they can go in but can't come out. We also change up £20s for them. Must have £500 or so saved so far

Lord knows what going to happen when the tenders come out lol
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    A slight smile of amusement here; although our household is now down to fairly normal proportions with just 4 of us most of the time, I still buy certain things in bulk. For example, a full tray (12 tins) of tomatoes, or chick peas, a sack (25Kg) of spuds or jumbo oats, and 8kg sacks of the flours that we use the most.

There are reasons for this; I do have storage space, and I don't have easy access to inexpensive supermarkets. They are 5 miles or more away, down in the city, which is also a busy port with multiple heavy lorries hurtling to & from the docks at all hours. So I'd rather go down there just once a month, and stock up. A sack of spuds, bought from the farm shop en route to my mother's, will last us 6 weeks-2 months now, and I have a cool dark place to keep them. They work out considerably cheaper than buying multiple small bags, and we do use them up before they sprout. The oats, bought online & delivered, live in a small "dead" vermin-proof freezer out in the garage, and I buy a sack two or three times a year. That's no cheaper than supermarket's own brands, but they are better oats! Ditto the flour, which comes from a local mill and is a treat to work with.

We do have two small & expensive local supermarkets, and I do use them from time to time, but can think of many things I'd rather be doing with my time than trotting up & down to them. We also have an excellent market, which is where I buy most of my perishables on a weekly basis. I've found that most things do store well once you've worked out how best to store them - for example, tomatoes taste better out of the fridge, with air circulating, courgettes don't like the cold, parsnips & carrots do, potatoes need to be cool & dark, onions cool & light.

12 tins of tomatoes will only just get us through the month. We used 2 tins tonight; I made chilli con carne, and DD2 made herself chilli sin carne, with sweet potato. Both dishes were eaten with rice tonight, but the leftovers will reappear later in the week alongside baked potatoes and any other leftovers-in-sauce - I'd expect there to be some of Monday's chicken Jalfrezi left over, too. DD2, pescatarian, goes through chickpeas like there's no tomorrow, in falafels, hummus, chick-pea burgers and all sorts of other meat-free culinary delights. Much cheaper than "vegetarian" sausages, Quorn etc.

I'm aware that some people might consider my buying habits to be hoarding, judging by the looks I sometimes get at the checkout. But to me, it's a huge time-saver to have the ingredients to hand, and often a money-saver too; I do rotate my stocks, only buy what we need (for the month) & will use, and hardly anything ever goes out of date.

I got into this habit when feeding 7+, and it still works for us. However, I do know I'll have to re-think it when the girls finally spread their wings & fly! Provided none of their brothers have "returned" again...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Well I think we all have been a bit guilty at some point of over-buying. I am at the moment going through a Love Food Hate, Waste system, and from the 1st of March I decided that the only thing I would by would be something that was essential.

I went through my cupboards this morning and found 28 different packets of dried pasta,rice casserole mixes and sauce mixes !!

I now have them in a box on my worktop and nowt more will be bought of them until they are all gone :)

Its absurd to have all this cash sitting in my cupboards instead of my bank account. I have nothing on my 'essential' shopping list at the moment and am trying to adapt other things instead of buying fresh.Slowly working my way through the fresh stuff in the fridge at the moment :).

I decided that although I finished the lettuce yesterday I would use up the watercress in a salad instead of buy-in another lettuce over the weekend. every little less bought is less thrown away :):):) I have enough room to store stuff but have decided its just plain daft and the world won't stop turning if I am down to one of everything instead of lots my freezer is going to get reduced as well as its far too full of Y/S stuff and left overs and all sorts of bits that I probably have forgotten about :):):) so I want to eat well and buy less for awhile.:)
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I struggle with this so I'm kondoing things and am limiting my stockpiling to ground coffee (we go through a 250g packet a week so I can never have too much!) and one extra of anything else. When I open the "last" packet of something then I'm "allowed" to buy another. It's stopped me hoarding and wasting stuff.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    I struggle with this so I'm kondoing things and am limiting my stockpiling to ground coffee (we go through a 250g packet a week so I can never have too much!)
    Wow! That is a big luxury.

I usually buy DE instant when it's £4 for a 190g jar, so stock up then. It lasts me 3 months, £12 pa vs goodness knows what you must be spending!

(Feels like a v smug moneysaver :D).
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »

I usually buy DE instant when it's £4 for a 190g jar, so stock up then. It lasts me 3 months, £12 pa vs goodness knows what you must be spending!

each to their own VfM, Nothing wrong with buying luxury if it falls within the personal budget

I have always overbought, coming from a background childhood of post war rationing, even string was saved and wrapping paper was ironed for re-use. When items becam freely available, then many of us stockpiled, it was a psychological thing. Most of us have done it, when it came to a bargain in something we use eg I am still using stockpiled toothpaste but I am in process of using what I have and not replenishing until every last one has gone. I still have enough stocks for a considerable time but spaces are slowly appearing. Upside is that I am spending very little money and so have available money for some luxuries, like extremely good coffee beans :D
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    i'm purpleybat and I'm a groceries hoarder :D

things like tinned tomatoes, passata, baked beans etc i'll buy by the case. dried pulses are bought by the half dozen as are stock cubes, laundry detergent, hand wash, washing up liquid.
    luckily I have the space to store it all. my main reasoning behind it is that as I don't drive and can't often get a lift I buy stuff in bulk every month or so.
    but I also do it cos I spent a long time years ago on incapacity benefits and towards the end of the month when money ran out I could always rely on dried food stores for something to eat.
    also the job I had after that I had a 7 hour contract so some weeks were good and other dire. so when I had a bit of money spare I would buy stuff that would keep so never went hungry.

anything fresh that cant be frozen I can carry so that's not a problem.
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Wow! That is a big luxury.

Yep, it's mostly my OH, he drinks gallons lol! Ground coffee works out cheaper because u can get 4 cups out of the same volume of instant for 2 cups and I know where to get ground coffee for £1.29 a pack - hence the stocking up as even the budget supermarkets charge between £1.90 & £2.50 per pack!

So it only costs me about £5 a month compared with £12 if I bought it from a big-4 supermarket.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Well, I thought I understood, as I sometimes bulk-buy non-perishables too. That was until I read further and saw that you seem to bulk-buy even when they aren't cheap!

I tend to be flexible about my bulk-buying or I don't fell I've 'won'. If something's full price I would just buy what I need at the time. If something's really cheap, I'll take as much as I can carry.
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    Yep, it's mostly my OH, he drinks gallons lol! Ground coffee works out cheaper because u can get 4 cups out of the same volume of instant for 2 cups and I know where to get ground coffee for £1.29 a pack - hence the stocking up as even the budget supermarkets charge between £1.90 & £2.50 per pack!

So it only costs me about £5 a month compared with £12 if I bought it from a big-4 supermarket.
    Coffee is one thing we absolutely refuse to compromise on; we buy a 1kg bag of Guatemalan Elephant Beans roughly every six weeks; we grind them as we want to use them.

Mr LW and I both really enjoy this coffee, so we feel it's justifiable.

I can't abide instant coffee _pale_ - I can drink it if I'm out and have to in order to be polite, but I'd far sooner not; I drink my coffee black and unsweetened, so I probably notice the difference more than people who have sugar and/or milk/cream in theirs.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure