New laptop not working - advice on getting a refund

I bought a new laptop online at the beginning of September. After 4 weeks the fan broke and there was an error message that came up saying the fan needed to be changed, so I contacted HP (the manufacturer) and they came and changed it. Since I have had it, it has frozen multiple times and the fan goes into overdrive and is constantly running. Obviously I am not happy that a now 6 week old laptop has already needed a part replacing and is freezing constantly.

The online company I bought it from have a 28 day returns policy and the fan broke after this time, so I have had to deal with the manufacturers who are useless and it took 7 days to get an engineer in to replace the part. I have had to communicate with a service centre in India and it has been very long and arduous trying to get a case number. I just want to return the laptop and get my money back as I doubt it will last 6 months at this rate. I paid by Visa debit card for the laptop. Is there any way I can force the company I bought it from to give me a refund or replacement even though their t&c stipulates a 28 day policy?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    You deal under Consumer Regulations with the vendor .The 28 days is nonsense see the stickies top of this board .That is if you bought from the UK .
  • bavli
    bavli Posts: 39 Forumite
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    You deal under Consumer Regulations with the vendor .The 28 days is nonsense see the stickies top of this board .That is if you bought from the UK .

It was bought from a company called Ebuyer, who are a UK company. Thanks.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    bavli wrote: »
    It was bought from a company called Ebuyer, who are a UK company. Thanks.
    Good luck with that then ;)
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Freezing and high fan speed are an indication that you are trying to run software the computer simply cant handle.

The processor gets hot so the fan runs high to compensate, when it fails to compensate the processor shuts down to protect it and let it cool, rinse and repeat.

Are you running ant demanding software?
  • bavli
    bris wrote: »
    Freezing and high fan speed are an indication that you are trying to run software the computer simply cant handle.

The processor gets hot so the fan runs high to compensate, when it fails to compensate the processor shuts down to protect it and let it cool, rinse and repeat.

Are you running ant demanding software?

Nope. Not at all.
  • bavli
    neilmcl wrote: »
    Good luck with that then ;)

Oh dear. What does that mean?
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    bavli wrote: »
    Oh dear. What does that mean?
    Judging by the many posts we get here and other forums they're not the best company to deal with.

You need to exercise your rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. Normally if dealing with the retailer from the outset they would have one attempt only to repair but as you've dealt directly with the manufacturer yourself then I'm not sure this will apply and they could end up sending your laptop off for repair again. That is, of course, if you can actually persuade them you have a fault in the first place.
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    With laptops the same issue can be caused by the cooling vent being blocked, do you use it on your lap or on a soft surface such as a bed or sofa?
  • are you trying to play a game that is graphically intense? that is generally why lappys and pc's freeze the heat generated by the gpu and the cpu is very hot hence fans kick into overdrive
  • bavli
    The laptop is not working at all now, windows not even booting up :(.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure