Couch to 5K support thread.

Comments

• Hi WantToBeSE.

Well done on 3/1.

I've tended to do my runs before eating as well. Maybe I'll try to go mid afternoon tomorrow. I have a feeling I'll need all the help I can get!

Cheers

WR
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    claire-i started to get a stitch yesterday, just as i was finishing though. I'm not sure what causes a stitch, hopefully someone else can help you.

WR- Good luck with your run today. I am going to do the next few runs in the afternoon, after lunch and see if it makes a difference, or if it was just a 1 off!

Rest day today! Good luck to everyone who is running!
  • indesisiv
    indesisiv Posts: 6,359 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    @clairec79 I find that changing your breathing (big in then all the air out fully) usually sorts it. Or a slight change in pace.

There is a technique that involves stuffing your fist into your diaphragm but personally I have never really managed to make that work.

Don't eat within a few hours of starting your run normally helps too.
    “Time is intended to be spent, not saved” - Alfred Wainwright
  • Today is week 3 run 1 and, given some of the comments here, I am trying a new approach.

I had a bit of a lie-in today. I had a banana on toast at about 10.15 and have been hydrating myself. Mrs Wild Rover needs a lift somewhere for about 12.30 (parking is Hellish where she is going:D) so I'll drop her off, come home and start my run about 1.00 p.m.

I'll report back.

WR
  • clairec79
    clairec79 Posts: 2,512 Forumite
    I managed 25 minutes this morning - only 3.5km in that time though so not convinced I'll be at 5k in a fortnight or so time

It does make me realise how far I've come in the 7 weeks though, I wasn't completely unfit to start, but I didn't run. I'm still not enjoying the running but 10-15minutes is now absolutely fine, doesn't bother or frighten me at all - whereas the jump to 8 minutes was huge and scary at the time (and I didn't like the 5 minutes if I'm honest)
  • indesisiv
    clairec79 wrote: »
    I managed 25 minutes this morning - only 3.5km in that time though so not convinced I'll be at 5k in a fortnight or so time

It does make me realise how far I've come in the 7 weeks though, I wasn't completely unfit to start, but I didn't run. I'm still not enjoying the running but 10-15minutes is now absolutely fine, doesn't bother or frighten me at all - whereas the jump to 8 minutes was huge and scary at the time (and I didn't like the 5 minutes if I'm honest)

Once you are running for that length of time improvements come really quickly. A jump from 3.5k to 5k is no longer scary. Well done so far :T
  • Hi all!

Week 3 run 1 completed. It was ok, but as would be expected, the last 30 seconds of the last run was hard. I just kept telling myself to keep going as I'd be furious with myself if I stopped. Seems to work.

Now cooling down with water.

I could murder a lager, but I won't :D !

My regime for runs 2 and 3 is a bit off this week as we are away all day Tuesday, so it looks like Wednesday and Friday.

Well done to all those doing this!

WR
  • WantToBeSE
    WantToBeSE Posts: 7,729 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    Wild_Rover wrote: »
    Today is week 3 run 1 and, given some of the comments here, I am trying a new approach.

I had a bit of a lie-in today. I had a banana on toast at about 10.15 and have been hydrating myself. Mrs Wild Rover needs a lift somewhere for about 12.30 (parking is Hellish where she is going:D) so I'll drop her off, come home and start my run about 1.00 p.m.

I'll report back.

WR

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the later runs and also hydrating well.
    Have a great run!
    clairec79 wrote: »

You've done really well! I cant imagine running 5 mins, let alone 10-15 mins!

Rest day again today. Back to it tomorrow afternoon :)
  • indesisiv
    Wild_Rover wrote: »
    I could murder a lager, but I won't :D !

Noooo don't murder the lager! You drink it. :eek:

Good effort WR, your brain is designed to stop you well before your body actually needs to stop. So just tell it to shut up and carry on :D

You're doing better than me, I really struggle to stop my brain winning sometimes, when I really want to push I end up in a jog rather than speeding up!
  • Well done, Claire! It's wonderful when you get to the 25 min walk. Have had a we off due to a hectic scheduke, but goingot start week 7 again this evening. Feeling freshly inspired after watching some colleagues run the royal parks half- who knows, might even be ready for it by next year!
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport