Pet Insurance guide discussion area

Options

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,109 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pet Insurance with PAH can only be in one persons name (even when you live as a couple)
    I have split with my partner and i have kept one of our dogs (my dog has a condtion for life, regular claims are made)
    Insurance is with Pets at Home Lifetime cover
    Does any one know how i get the policy transferd to my name??
    As i am struggling to get the cheques that have been issued to my ex from PAH him even though i have paid the vets he isnt giving me the money back

Thank you

Have you contacted the insurance company to explain the situation.
  • suzanne_martin72
    Options
    Hi

Yes i spoke with them they wanted me to get a new quote and a letter from the current policy holder i thought it odd to need a new quote, wondered if anyone else has experience of transferring policy. As my pet has a pre existing medical condition i dont want to go ahead without a little more knowledge first.
  • sheramber
    Options
    If asking for a new quote I would be suspicious that it will be treated as a new policy and exclude pre existing conditions.

If you only spoke to the call centre can you ask to speak to the underwriter as they make the decisions.

I know with Petplan you can speak to an underwriter if you want to confirm about pre existing being covered but I don't know about the underwriters for PAH Insurance.

It might be worth a try.
  • grainy_2
    grainy_2 Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Looking to get pet insurance for my puppy. Animal friends are listed on the comparison sites including doginsurancecompare.co.uk, anyone have any experience of using them? Thank you
    Katie
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please google Animal Friends and pay attention to people who actually tried to claim. There is a lot of glowing reviews from people who took up that insurance praising price, customer service etc but a lot of pretty bad ones from people who actually tried to claim. Like here:

http://www.petinsurancereview.co.uk/animal_friends.asp
  • PhiltheBear
    Options
    Most of the bad reviews seem to be from people that haven't read the policy. And that is the most important thing. There are some terms in their policy I wouldn't be happy with but that's just my take on it. If you are happy with them then they are no different to anyone else in terms of claiming. But whatever policy you choose you should always read the policy first. The website you mentioned also has a link to a Buyer's Guide, which is the best explanation of pet insurance I've ever seen. I suggest you read it before going further.
  • sheramber
    Options
    If it is important to you that your vet can claim direct ,rather than you paying the bill then claiming the money back, check with your vet what companies they will accept a direct claim for.

They may not be prepared to claim from some companies.

My last vet would only claim direct from Petplan.

Do not delay in taking out the insurance as there is a an introductory exclusion period, ofter 2 weeks, when any condition arising during that time will be excluded and will be considered a pre existing condition in future. So something like a simple upset tummy could to a lifelong exclusion of all stomach issues.

Always check the underwriters for the company as one in particular has a reputation for avoiding paying out.

Remember cheap policies can be cheap for a reason.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 9 October 2016 at 1:20PM
    Options
    then they are no different to anyone else in terms of claiming.

But they are. I never heard of any other insurer putting an inclusion at renewal on ALL legs following a problem with one on a life time policy when the problem with the one leg happened when a dog was already insured. Or putting exclusion on renewal for both eyes for a cat who had a problem with one - again life time policy when problem with the one eye happened while the cat was insured.

Lifetime policies should not have exclusions added to them while the issue happened when a pet was already insured and I know that AnimalFriends have done it many times in the past.

I have 4 cats insured with PetPlan and a dog insured with Argos - all on 7k lifetime policies and few vets that I have used, including referral vets were always happy to do direct claim from both companies. That is very important if you are faced with a massive bill. Check with your own vet which insurance companies are they happy to do direct claims with. None of the vets I have used would do a direct claim with Animal Friends.
  • PhiltheBear
    Options
    Which is precisely why I said to read the policy. If you have a lifetime policy they CANNOT change the policy - but if it's already there then you only have yourself to blame if you don't read it. I originally said "There are some terms in their policy I wouldn't be happy with". Other people may be happy with that - I, personally, wouldn't.

When I said that they are no different to claims what I meant was that they will have almost identical claim processes to any other pet insurance, which may mean getting full vet history etc.
  • gettingready
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Which is precisely why I said to read the policy. If you have a lifetime policy they CANNOT change the policy - but if it's already there then you only have yourself to blame if you don't read it. I originally said "There are some terms in their policy I wouldn't be happy with". Other people may be happy with that - I, personally, wouldn't.

When I said that they are no different to claims what I meant was that they will have almost identical claim processes to any other pet insurance, which may mean getting full vet history etc.

I do not think you actually read my post properly. AF DID change lifetime policies and put exclusions it at renevals and those were not preexisting conditions.

I never used them but know people who got caught with their useless policies.

I have a dog with Argos Platinum (just jumped from 140 to 197 per month) and 4 cats with Petplan
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback