Best credit card for cash back/rewards?

TheLondoner
TheLondoner Posts: 109 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 7 October 2016 at 3:58PM in Credit cards
hi guys,

I'm going to be spending around £1200-1500 over the next few months and I wanted to get a new credit card to earn some points/vouchers. Both items will probably be purchased from John Lewis, so I was thinking of getting the partnership card and get 1 point for every £1 spent. However they only pay half the rate for non John Lewis shopping.

I was wondering whether anyone knows any other credit cards that offer better rewards? (overall - including on
non-John Lewis shopping)

NB: I'm usually a low spender and these will be one off extravagant purchases so I'm not after one of those cards where you have to spend £2k a year or £500 a month etc, as quite a few of them seem to be.

Any advice, as always, greatly appreciated :j

Comments

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I have better cashback from Amex but it required a minimum spend that wouldn't work for you. I would try for partnership since it is a JL purchase.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TheLondoner
    edited 7 October 2016 at 9:07PM
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    I have better cashback from Amex but it required a minimum spend that wouldn't work for you. I would try for partnership since it is a JL purchase.

Just out of interest - which Amex card do you have?
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,611 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Platinum Cashback - currently gives me 1.25% on all purchases but I had to spend £7k (I think) to reach that earning rate and they have dropped it to 1% for new customers

0% on purchases for 21 months too
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I found this on MSE credit card pages - seems pretty good: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/credit-card-special-offers

The American express rewards card. £50 off voucher if I spend £1000, and £1 per point. The only drawback I guess is that if I spend £10,000, I'll only get £50 back, which is £5 per £1000, which is paltry! I guess it is on par with John Lewis, but the initial £50 vouchers makes it worthwhile I suppose.

What do you guys reckon?
  • JJG
    JJG Posts: 330 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I found this on MSE credit card pages - seems pretty good: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/credit-card-special-offers

The American express rewards card. £50 off voucher if I spend £1000, and £1 per point. The only drawback I guess is that if I spend £10,000, I'll only get £50 back, which is £5 per £1000, which is paltry! I guess it is on par with John Lewis, but the initial £50 vouchers makes it worthwhile I suppose.

What do you guys reckon?

It depends entirely on how much you will be spending on the card. If you will be spending £10,000 a year then that card is not the optimum one. If at you said in your initial post you plan an spending £1,200 to £1,500 then this card is the best. You're effectively getting 5% cashback for the first £1000.
  • TheLondoner
    edited 7 October 2016 at 9:05PM
    JJG wrote: »
    It depends entirely on how much you will be spending on the card. If you will be spending £10,000 a year then that card is not the optimum one. If at you said in your initial post you plan an spending £1,200 to £1,500 then this card is the best. You're effectively getting 5% cashback for the first £1000.

It's a tricky one because in the long run JL is better: £5 for every £500 spent in John Lewis vs. £5 for every £1000 with Amex. However as you say I'd get up to £50 worth of vouchers with Amex for my £1000 spend.

I guess the ideal scenario would be to use card, cash in vouchers, ditch card, and get the partnership card! haha!

Remains to be seen whether I can actually be bothered to do that!
  • Biggles
    Biggles Posts: 8,209 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    Platinum Cashback - currently gives me 1.25% on all purchases but I had to spend £7k (I think) to reach that earning rate and they have dropped it to 1% for new customers
    1% for existing customers, too, from 8 Nov.
  • Biggles wrote: »
    1% for existing customers, too, from 8 Nov.

It's almost becoming a joke isn't it? Almost no incentive to use credit cards these days - might just end up closing them all and sticking to debit cards!
  • BA Amex card will get you a return flight from London to Europe for spending £1,000 within three months. Get one for you and one for your other half and go to Prague or Paris.

Hilton card will get you a free hotel stay for spending £750 within three months.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It's almost becoming a joke isn't it? Almost no incentive to use credit cards these days - might just end up closing them all and sticking to debit cards!

Losing the S75 protection is a good reason not to, plus the interest free period, even 1% is better than nothing
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure