PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help Buy - Are my figures correct? Massive

Options
Hi All,

currently looking to second step from 350k house to a 450k house. We have been on the market a few months and have viewed a few new builds. The agent (how helpful of them) said we should consider a 500K house with help buy. Having looked the guidance on the interest rates it looks a shocking deal if you can't pay it off in the first 5 years:

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/help-to-buy-scheme-everything-you-need-to-know

Interest rates for paying back your loan

Years 1-5: no fees
Year 6: 1.75% of the loan
Year 7 onwards: 1.75% + RPI + 1%
These fees do not go towards paying off the government loan.

So using my example if I took the max loan 20% 100K and RPI remained the same:
Year 1-5 : no fees
year 6: 1.75% = £1750 = £145 per month.
year 7: 1.75 + RPI (current 3.6)+ 1 = 6.35% = £6350 = £529 per month

Considering most people would use this scheme to get on the housing market as they can't afford a big mortgage it seems crazy to give them house and then charge them a much higher interest rate that most mortgages after 5 years. It seems to defeat the whole purpose of the scheme and would only work if people can pay back the loan within the 5 years in which case they don't need the scheme in the first place.

I wonder how many people have bought this way and are sleep walking into potential bankruptcy. I certainly won't be taking one out.

Comments

• dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I think it's RPI +1 percent in year seven but that is still 4.6 percent as of today.
    With luck most people will have paid down some of the mortgage in the first 5/6 years and will then be able to remortgage with a lender the mortgage outstanding and the HTB loan.
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 15 April 2018 at 4:44PM
    Options
    If you assume inflation runs at 5% per annum, the rates are 1.75% in year six, 1.86% in year seven, 1.97% in year eight, 2.08% in year nine and so on.

See page 20 of the Buyer's Guide.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/Help-to-Buy-Buyers-Guide-Feb-2018-FINAL.pdf
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • lowmiles
    lowmiles Posts: 87 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    If you assume inflation runs at 5% per annum, the rates are 1.75% in year six, 1.86% in year seven, 1.97% in year eight, 2.08% in year nine and so on.

See page of the Buyer's Guide.

https://www.helptobuy.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/Help-to-Buy-Buyers-Guide-Feb-2018-FINAL.pdf

thanks so the RPI is added to the rate rather than the loan? Not clear at all from the link above I posted but is from your link
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Always better from the horse's mouth. The maths;-

1.75 x 6% = 0.105.
    1.75% + 0.105 = 1.855 rounded up to 1.86(%).
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure