PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Tiny garden or large yard

Hi folks,

I need some advice. I currently live in a home with approx 1/2 acre which we bought so my mechanic husband would have space to work at cars. He’s now using a garage elsewhere that’s been set up for him to tinker in on the evenings so this means at the moment we only use a little patio that is 25msq. The house I am looking at has a back garden approx 22msq with a garage in it so the actual lawn space is very small.
Our current home is a 1970s bungalow that still needs work, the new house we are looking at is a new build Georgian style home that has never been lived in, needs no work and is beautiful. The only con with the new build is the lack of space outside. Although this could be a blessing too as there’s no hedging to cut and a small lawn to mow. Logically I think, we don’t use anymore space than our little patio but then I think what if my husband decides he wants more space on a few years time.
Do you look at houses and think this would suit us perfectly now or do you focus more on what might need/want in the future?
I should add the smaller house is cheaper by 20k although this isn’t the reason we are selling, it’s more because we don’t feel our current house is the home for us.

Comments

• I fail to see why you are bothering MSE for advice on an issue only you and your husband can assess.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    22m2 with a garage on it? That really doesn't leave much... Is there even space for a couple of chairs?

We went the other way - we went from a 30m2 back garden and 100m2 front garden (minus garage), pretty much all paved bar a couple of beds which largely got ignored, to an acre and a half. Fortunately, we can allow large areas of it to "rewild" in peace...
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Well, I would focus on what suits you know because you have to live there now - why buy something which doesn't really suit now , on the *chance* it might suit you later?

That said, it's not unreasonable think about what changes you might want to make further down the line, and how important they might be - you don't want to be stuck somewhere that is lacking something which is of paramount importance.

You say the new house has a garage - is that large enough that your husband could work in it so if he wants to work on a car at home he can?

Given he currently has a garage away from your current home it doesn't sound as though having space at home for that is of huge importance to him, so if the garage would be big enough to use in emergencies then that might be the reasonable compromise.

If he doesn't like having his workshop elsewhere then maybe keep looking, for somewhere with a double garage, or a bit more space, but bear in mind that that is likely to mean giving up something else - to me, it doesn't make a lot of sense to give up something which is important to you now in favour of something you may or may not find important later, unless the 'later' thing is something you expect to be of fundamental importance (an example might be having a house which can be made accessible fairly easily if one of you develops mobility issues, if your age or health meant that was a significant risk - it might not happen, but it would be essential to address if it did, so you might want to do some 'future-proofing to avoid the risk f being in a position where you were forced to move, further down the line)
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    You need to look at what is outside of the smaller garden. Are there bigger buildings that'd cast you in permanent shadow, or footpaths and open grassy areas that'd bring other people's activities closer to your own sofa.

Small is good .... but if it's small that means there's more chance to be irritated by others and be over-shadowed by buildings.

Large is not good if you don't fancy sorting it out all the time.

I'd prefer small ... but I'd have a keen eye on "so what's within 100 yards of my peace and quiet that'd annoy me".
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,495 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Has the Georgian type home got stairs? Are you thinking about future difficulties with stairs? Is this to be last and final house move?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • How long have you been in your current house? You say you are selling as you your house just doesn't feel right for you, why? I would focus on these things that your current house is lacking in the new search.

How long are you hoping to be in your next home? If only for a few years then the smaller garden will probably be ok. If you plan to be there longer term, will a small garden suit your longer term needs?
    • Original mortgage end date: March 2041
    • Current mortgage end date: Dec 2032 (aiming for October 2025)
    • MFW 2024 #15 £446.24/ £2500 /// MFW 2023 #15 £8,617.84/ £10,000 /// 2022 #15 £7,315.24/ £7250 /// MFW 2021 #15 £8,530.07/ £8500
    • Daily interest is currently £4.44
  • Have you ever looked up the issues with new builds? Who is the developer?
    "Everything comes to him who hustles while he waits" Thomas Edison
    Following the Martin mantra "Earn more, have less debt, improve credit worthiness" :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure