Will a smart meter allow me to view past electricity usage hour by hour?

I'm responsible for managing a sports clubhouse with quite high electricity usage, which I am keen to manage better. Our supplier is British Gas Business, we are registered as a "micro business".

If I opt for a smart meter, will I be able to view or download a history of say the last week's electricity usage, hour by hour, so that I can understand our pattern of consumption better and so focus our cost saving efforts? Being a clubhouse, one of the issues is that it is unoccupied for much of the time, and it's not easy to nip down there at say 7am to see what the usage is.

Alternatively I could just buy an energy monitor, but I have not been able to identify a reliable one which has such a facility.

Thanks

Comments

• D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Have a domestic smart meter and can tell energy company to get readings either once a day or (I think) hourly from the My Account section of their website.

Would assume a business smart would be the same.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,091 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I have a commercial smart meter and I can't. When I enquired I received the following " Unfortunately without the required hardware on the site (HH meter or NHH meter with AMR) we would be unable to provide your consumption data for the meter."

My supplier is Total Gas and Power
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • Hazzanet
    Hazzanet Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm with Octopus Energy and I can get usage down to 30 minute intervals with their SMETS2 meter.
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    You could look into a Pc based energy monitor, I use an Eco-Eye for solar monitoring but can just as easily be used for general power use, it will store in a memory card all the past data you need then download to a pc or laptop.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've got an Eferg Engage kit (without the display) which allow me to my consumption in real time and download a minute by minute, hour by hour or day by day consumption spreadsheet if I want to. Once is into an format you can do what you like with it.

It comprises a battery powered clamp which fits onto the incoming cable and a receiver which is connect to your router. I was lucky and got mine for £20 from Maplin's a long time before they went bust.

I can check and download my consumption anywhere I want to on my mobile phone, tablet or PC.

When smart meters can do that then they'll be worth having. My smart meter will allow hourly info for the day that I'm looking but not for previous days, weeks or months although I can read daily and monthly info but only from the IHD, I cant get it onto a computer or remotely read it.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Adam1918
    Adam1918 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 19 January 2020 at 11:03PM
    Thanks all, I like the sound of the Efergy Engage and will look into that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure