Xercise 4 Less / Harlands / Credit Resolution Services

Hi all

A couple month's back, maybe three, I no longer wanted my Xercise 4 Less membership (£19.99 / month rolling contract). I rang an advisor who said they would close my account and ring me if there were any issues - I have since learned they had an old number of mine so I may not have received any follow ups on this.

Around a month ago I found in a SPAM folder letters from Credit Resolution Services to my email saying they had received the balance from Harlands (I think they're all part of the same group). Furthermore, it has now amounted to £200 and they are passing it to another company for legal action!!

I have responded telling them I will not be paying the unreasonable fees they have applied (£25 per letter?) and that I had cancelled it via the phone. They keep persisting that per t&c I must cancel online, and they will be proceeding with their process. Is there anything I can do here ? Even if they requested the gym membership costs to date it would only be about £60. How on earth could they get away with taking me to court for £200 ????

Please advise.

Thanks all

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 16 August 2019 at 5:36PM
    Hi,

From their website :

How do I cancel my gym membership?

We’re sorry to hear you wish to cancel your gym membership with us. Is there anything we can do to help re-engage you in your fitness journey? If so, please contact us on any of our social media platforms.

Before we guide you on how to cancel your membership, did you know that you can freeze your membership free of charge for up to 3 months? That means that if you need to take time out from training for any reason, you can. You can freeze your membership by clicking here.

If you’re set on your decision to leave, you can submit your 30 days’ notice to cancel on the form on our app or here.

All you need is the email address that you initially used to sign up or your reference number.
    Once you have done so, please allow 30 days for us to process your cancellation, during this time one more payment will be taken, and you will receive an email confirmation that your account has been cancelled.
    We also ask you to keep your direct debit intact as we cancel this for you, and we wish you a smooth exit from Xercise4Less.

Makes no mention of any phone calls been nessessary ?

Like everything, there is a correct way to cancel, and an incorrect way, you should not have relied on their paid employee to do this for you, I found this in 30 seconds.

Until an actual claim form or a pre-action letter, lands on your doormat, its all just hot air, and all options to retrieve this are still open to you.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • TheManOfStraw
    TheManOfStraw Posts: 24 Forumite
    edited 16 August 2019 at 5:37PM
    Hi sourcrates thanks. It doesn't say any mention of having to cancel online, is that what you mean?
    Thanks for finding that. I will forward it to them.

edit: I actually thought ringing up the company and asking their employees to cancel my membership as a suitable way to cancel my membership. Is it not?

I also don't understand your last sentence, sorry, what options are available to me? To retrieve what?
  • sourcrates
    edited 16 August 2019 at 5:56PM
    Thats their cancelation policy copied from their website (above).

If you don`t follow correct procedure, unfortunatly this is what happens, your request to cancel would seem ok to me, but then those are their rules, not mine.

Options to retreive the situation before possible court action, ring them up, speak to the manger/customer service centre, whoever has the most clout, instead of been defencive, be contrite, say you thought you were doing the right thing, you were unaware you should cancel online blah blah blah.

Ask them to cancel the fee`s, and come to an amicable arragement over the outstanding balance.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • sourcrates do you think it's reasonable for a £19.99 to turn into a £200 bill a few months down the line ? I personally feel like i've been abused my big corporations and am sat wondering how they can get away with this ?

Yes I didn't cancel like it says on their website but is it silly of me to ring up a company and ask to cancel my membership. One would make the assumption that's and OK thing to do anyway. I can afford their balance but don't want to pay it out of principal as I feel I've been robbed. Big companies trying to prey on vulnerable again.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates do you think it's reasonable for a £19.99 to turn into a £200 bill a few months down the line ? I personally feel like i've been abused my big corporations and am sat wondering how they can get away with this ?

Yes I didn't cancel like it says on their website but is it silly of me to ring up a company and ask to cancel my membership. One would make the assumption that's and OK thing to do anyway. I can afford their balance but don't want to pay it out of principal as I feel I've been robbed. Big companies trying to prey on vulnerable again.

Which is why you discuss it with them, ask them to break down what’s been charged, you stand a much better chance of a good outcome if you are nice about it.
  • Because they’re vultures and they prey on the vulnerable , they don’t understand the language you refer to. I tried that
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    In that case it seems that the best option will be to pay up before it rises again.

If you’re set on your decision to leave, you can submit your 30 days’ notice to cancel on the form on our app or here.

It does say what you should have done on the website. While it seems it is a lot to add on, the people involved in taking action don't work for free and the company no doubt feel that they should not have to pay for your mistake.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • Karonher:

They’ve sent me 5 letters attached to email in my spam folders. Are you telling me their minimum wage employees have incurred £180 in costs for sending 5 identical templated letters ? I reckon it takes 10 minutes to send each email max so are you telling me charging their employees out at £216 is reasonable ? Do they have PHDs ?
  • And I won’t pay it the financial Ombudsman Service ought to do something about these vultures if it is indeed legal. I have debtors in my business who are past their terms. Can I send them emails chasing them and add 25 per email on (with no acknowledgment of receipt) ? I find it difficult to believe you think this is reasonable. Where do you work out of interest
  • sourcrates
    I don’t think it’s reasonable, that’s why I suggested you dispute it.
    Unfortunately, and with the greatest respect, getting mad and giving them attitude its no surprise they would not work with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure