When will i get my pension ?

I served just over 14 years in the Army, can anyone tell me at what age you claim your British Army pension ?

Comments

• withabix
    withabix Posts: 9,508 Forumite
    When you are 55 years old, you can claim half and the other half at 65 I think.

Not sure now though...MOD website says 60 :confused:

When do I get my pension?

After two years service, you are eligible for a preserved pension, which you will receive when you reach 60. After 12 years service, you receive a preserved pension and a cash grant. From 22 years service and upward, you get immediate pension, resettlement grant and generous gratuity.

The above implies that you only get an immediate pension on leaving if you serve for more than 22 years.

12-22 years you have to wait until you are 60 and get a cash grant?

2-12 year and you just get pension at 60.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • Any service you have prior to 6 Apr 06 will count towards a preserved pension (plus a lump sum of 3 times your annual pension) at the age of 60. Then at 65 you will receive an uplift in your pension of any service made after 6 Apr 06 and a lump sum of 3 times the increase in your pension at 65. Hope that this helps :D:D
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,268
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    withabix wrote: »

2-12 year and you just get pension at 60.

Does this apply to WRAF?
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • fxt576
    fxt576 Posts: 12 Forumite
    I think this differs depending on whether you are on the new or old pension. I think on the old pension scheme an immediate pension is payable at an earlier date. Having said this I'm not sure if there's a difference between the different services..
  • ady_j
    ady_j Posts: 102
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    [FONT=&quot]Hi,

Presuming you are on Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 (AFPS 75), I think the answer is when you’re 65.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am not a MOD pension expert, but I managed to dig up the following quote:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Why was the preserved pension age increased from 60 to 65? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Prior to 6 April 2006 all personnel who were in AFPS 75 and left before the immediate pension point having completed at least two years reckonable service had their benefits paid at age 60. For service after 6 April 2006 the preserved pension age is 65. The reasons for the increase to the preserved pension age was to take account the impact of longevity on public sector schemes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lots of reading here[/FONT]
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/Pensions/ArmedForcesPensions/AFPS75/

[FONT=&quot]You can also try:

Who can I contact for further information? (updated 10/09/07)
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In the first instance you should contact your unit admin office. An alternative contact is: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The JPAC Enquiry Centre For personal specific questions relating to all schemes including pension sharing orders and life commutation estimates. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Email: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]JPAC@spva.mod.uk [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tel: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Freephone: 0800 085 3600 MOD: 94560 3600 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overseas: +44 141 224 3600 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Address: [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]JPAC Enquiry Centre, Mail Point 403, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, GLASGOW, G2 8EX [/FONT]

• ady_j
    ady_j Posts: 102
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Magnolia wrote: »
    Does this apply to WRAF?

All depends on when you served, I believe that before 1975, you either got a pension (22years service (16 for Ocifers)) or nothing eg no preserved pensions.
  • paul2468 wrote: »
    I served just over 14 years in the Army, can anyone tell me at what age you claim your British Army pension ?

The answer is: You will recieve your pension at age 60 providing you did not switch to the new AFPS scheme, i assume you did not.

You will recieve 14/22 of your pension and what ever your annual pension will be at age 60 ,you will receive a cash lump some of 3 x annual pension.
  • ady_j wrote: »
    [FONT=&quot]Hi,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Presuming you are on Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975 (AFPS 75), I think the answer is when you’re 65.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I am not a MOD pension expert, but I managed to dig up the following quote:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Why was the preserved pension age increased from 60 to 65? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Prior to 6 April 2006 all personnel who were in AFPS 75 and left before the immediate pension point having completed at least two years reckonable service had their benefits paid at age 60. For service after 6 April 2006 the preserved pension age is 65. The reasons for the increase to the preserved pension age was to take account the impact of longevity on public sector schemes.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Lots of reading here[/FONT]
    http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/Personnel/Pensions/ArmedForcesPensions/AFPS75/

[FONT=&quot]You can also try:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Who can I contact for further information? (updated 10/09/07) [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In the first instance you should contact your unit admin office. An alternative contact is: [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The JPAC Enquiry Centre For personal specific questions relating to all schemes including pension sharing orders and life commutation estimates. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Email: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]JPAC@spva.mod.uk [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Tel: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Freephone: 0800 085 3600 MOD: 94560 3600 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Overseas: +44 141 224 3600 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Address: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]JPAC Enquiry Centre, Mail Point 403, Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, GLASGOW, G2 8EX [/FONT]

Not 65, 60 is the answer. If you joined the military after April 2006 or switched the the new AFPS then it is 65. Any other preserved pension is 60.
  • Magnolia
    Magnolia Posts: 1,268
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ady_j wrote: »
    All depends on when you served, I believe that before 1975, you either got a pension (22years service (16 for Ocifers)) or nothing eg no preserved pensions.

So that'll be nowt then :rolleyes:
    Mags - who loves shopping
  • Barneysmom
    Barneysmom Posts: 10,123
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Can I ask what pension my husband is likely to get, and when he can claim it?
    He left the army in December 200, with 18 years service (he was staff sergeant when he left?)
    He had £7,000 given him when he left..
    He's nearly 44 now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family