PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Advice needed to remove smell of smoke from second-hand pram

I have de-lurked myself to ask some cleaning advice. I bought a really nice second hand pram complete with covers. ( I do enjoy walking with a proper pram)
It's no bother to give it a good scrub and wash the covers.However,on getting it home, it has developed a distinct smokey odour. I am rather cross with myself that I didn't notice it when I was inspecting the pram. We are all non-smokers too!
Does anyone have some foolproof baby safe remedies to get rid of the smokers smell please? I have all the detachable bits in the washing machine at the moment.
Linda x
You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have :heart:

Comments

• Baking soda is good for getting rid of smells Litha . I sprinkle it on carpets and rugs leave for a while and then hoover it up. if it's just the main bodywork and interior it should do the trick .I usually add some essential oil to leave a nice scent but with a baby perhaps better to wash the interior and the rest with something gentle and safe such as baby bath or shampoo when you've hoovered the baking powder up.

If the covers are washable they should be fine in the machine . Good luck .
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Litha
    Litha Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Thank you Polly.
    I am quite allergy prone myself, so wanted to find the most gentle way of getting rid of the smell without bring on sneezemageddon!
    Linda
    You never know how strong you are, until being strong is the only choice you have :heart:
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,055 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Litha

Please let us know if the baking powder solution works.

Good luck

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Are you absolutely sure you want to use something you know has been around cigarette smoke? Even if you remove the smell, how will you know that all of the dangerous substances have been removed?

I don't know if anything has been proven either way, but Google 'third hand smoke' and see what you think. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take with my children.
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    rach_k wrote: »
    Are you absolutely sure you want to use something you know has been around cigarette smoke? Even if you remove the smell, how will you know that all of the dangerous substances have been removed?

I don't know if anything has been proven either way, but Google 'third hand smoke' and see what you think. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take with my children.

The research was about what people thought, not actual facts
    The research behind this story did not actually assess the dangers of “third-hand” smoke, but instead surveyed people’s beliefs about these dangers, and whether this was related to the likelihood of banning smoking in their own homes

I'd be more worried about the other pollutants in the air from vehicles etc. rather than a survey masquerading as science.
  • rach_k
    rach_k Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    unforeseen wrote: »
    The research was about what people thought, not actual facts

I'd be more worried about the other pollutants in the air from vehicles etc. rather than a survey masquerading as science.

I wasn't referring to that particular study as it was clearly about beliefs. However, things like this: https://www.nhs.uk/news/pregnancy-and-child/concern-over-third-hand-smoke/ would raise concerns for me. As I don't have babies any more and we don't go anywhere near cigarette smoke by choice, it isn't something I'm going to research much myself, but I think it's sensible for the OP to do some research her/himself. There has probably been much more done since the 2009 study you referred to and the 2010 study I linked to above. The idea that if you can't smell it, it can't be there or dangerous has always seemed suspect to me, so if this was something I was considering for my child I'd want to look into it properly.

You could ignore any concern based on 'there are worse things out there' but I personally think that's ridiculous. Each to their own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure