PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cheese in fridge: safe?

Options
Oh dear. I've somehow overlooked a fair sized block of cheese in my fridge. It was bought for Xmas and says use by 19 Jan. How long have I got to eat it before I shouldn't? There's only me here and I don't want to eat cheese every day!!
Magnolia Stellata

Comments

• MovingForwards
    Options
    Until it goes mouldy.
    Mortgage started 2020, aiming to clear it in 2026.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    I personally have eaten cheese several months out of date so it is safe enough.

Have you got a freezer? Would it be worth dividing it up into manageable blocks and freezing some? A lot of people tend to grate cheese and freeze it like that because it tends to be a bit more crumbly after it has been frozen.

If it goes mouldy just cut the mould off, cheese goes mouldy when it gets moist. I should point out that that is green mould, if it is black mould you need to cut a bit deeper.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Dont worry I have cheese far far older than that and live to tell the tale. If it has a bit of mould on then just cut it off no need to waste it. You can freeze it too :)
  • stellata
    stellata Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you! I have got a freezer, yes, space a bit limited so I will put half in there and start getting through the rest. I'm relieved I don't have to bin it as it did cost a few quid. It tastes great. It's Mature Cheddar if that makes a difference.
    Magnolia Stellata
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    Mature cheddar? If it's a good one it gets better with age.

Eat and enjoy
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it's not green, eat it.
    If it's got green bits on, cut those off and eat it.
    If it's gone a dark yellow, shiny, solid .... use that in cheese sauce and eat it.

If cheese isn't walking away under its own power it's fine.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    stellata wrote: »
    Thank you! I have got a freezer, yes, space a bit limited so I will put half in there and start getting through the rest. I'm relieved I don't have to bin it as it did cost a few quid. It tastes great. It's Mature Cheddar if that makes a difference.

NO it will kill you stone dead, send it to me for safe disposal:D
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    Mature cheddar lasts for months and months. As always when giving advice on such things, I'd be wary of giving it to anyone 'vulnerable' (very young, very old, ill). But I allow Cheddar to keep for ages - soft cheeses are another matter.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    If it's not green, eat it.
    If it's got green bits on, cut those off and eat it.
    If it's gone a dark yellow, shiny, solid .... use that in cheese sauce and eat it.

If cheese isn't walking away under its own power it's fine.

Brie needs to be walking away under it's own power :D

With mature cheddar I buy about a year's worth when Lidl have it on offer, I never pay attention to dates on cheese :rotfl::rotfl:
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Grate it into a freezer bag, then lay the bag flat in the freezer, so you have a layer of frozen cheese rather than a clump - it takes up less space, and it's easier to break off however much you need when the time comes.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure