PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A simpler life 2019

RicardaRacoon
RicardaRacoon Posts: 351 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 15 January 2019 at 1:08PM in Old style MoneySaving
Hello everyone

First of all, thank you SimpleLiving for starting the tread last year! I hope you don't mind me opening one for 2019.

The 2018 tread can be found here: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5752610&page=1

I am sure a simpler live is different for everyone, some might be decluttering while others are just mindfull about the new things they bring into their life. It might be about creating habits and simplifying things to make life or just the house run more smoothly.

I hope the tread will once more be an inspiration to work towards our goals!

I hope you will all have a great 2019!
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
Note to self, don't buy yarn!

Comments

• Didn't wanted to have too much in the first post, so starting the tread with another post :-)

I set myself some small resolutions that work into the direction of simple living:
    make more - buy less
    read more books and watch more movies - use the internet (and youtube...) less

walk more - eat less unhealthy things

I just had the first little declutter of 2019 and went through my medicine cabinet and sorted out a couple of things. One will be replaced, the rest will go back to the pharmacy.

Tomorrow I will be back to work so today I'll get a few things sorted so that I can start without a too big to do list. And I will spend a hour or two in the kitchen cooking some healthy things, my body really longs for vegetables....
    Fashion on the Ration 2022: 5/66 coupons used: yarn for summer top 5 /
    Note to self, don't buy yarn!
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’d really like to join you this year, a simpler life in 2019 sounds like balm for the soul.

First step for me is to avoid the prepping for brexit thread, it is making me feel all out of sorts.

I will give it a thought over the afternoon and post later with some thoughts.

Many thanks for starting this new thread.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've been thinking along similar lines. we've had a massive downshift in our incoming finances and need to adapt to a more modest income. I want to do more things that don't cost money : ) on the flipside I have lots of time to do stuff cos I'm not working so many hours.

Walk more. I get a lot of negativity on Facebook when I post walking pics...not sure why and that puts me off but I want to share pics for my own record iyswim.
    Read more...I have so many books bought on a whim and have never read : (
    Cook more...we eat better when we are skint because I may be cash strapped but I'm time rich and can hunt out the bargains and cook from scratch.
    Get a housework routine going.
    Do something with the jungle that's our garden, it's small but neglected.

btw. I also found ou all this Brexit stuff is subtly affecting my mental health so I'm avoiding the news.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • Would love to get involved this year. I crave a simple life. I feel like I'm half way to where I want to be. Maybe a little less.
    I've found small steps help, a smaller step I've started recently is to light candles in the evening and it definitely makes me feel calmer? social media doenst make me feel good and no got rid of that last year and dont miss it, now I'm finding even too much time reading in here willl have me feeling anxious. So I'm limiting myself to two check in per day, One with my afternoon coffee and once in the evening.
    So im trying to read more and have set myself a challenge to read 60 books in 2019!
    I'm lucky I am time rich as a stay at home mum, I do a bit of volunteering and look after the home and do my projects. When my kids are home it is extremely full on as two of them are disabled. I find the more simple I make my life the calmer I feel and more able I feel to deal with things? I also find that my children react very well to simple routines
    In January I'm going to try and get into a regular rhythm with my grocery shopping once a week and a predictable meal plan. I'm hopefully going to be able to do more cooking in the day.

I want to knit socks - so that is my project these coming months to master!

Sorry to here some of you getting negativity for the way you choose to live your lives in a more simple way, I think it's actually quite a blessing to appreciate the simpler things in life and thats what I want my children to learn.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am slowly working my way through some of my books and have a plastic box that they go into as soon as they are read,to go to the charity shop as soon as full I do have quite a lot of books that I seem to have acquired over the past couple of years, some I have been given and some I have bought in CS so its time to have a good sort out and only keep the ones I really wish to keep for various reasons. I am quite an inveterate reader and will read practically anything Hence my signature below :) But as I am hoping to move at some point in the next two years I certainly don't wish to box them up if I can help it .But as another poster says its baby steps, and even if it's just sorting out my book addiction will free up some space in my study

JackieO xx
  • mummyjane
    mummyjane Posts: 391 Forumite
    I would love to join you, we desperately need to restore some calm and order in our lives. My aim for this year is to enjoy more time together doing things we normally don't make time for and to sort the house out so that we can really relax when at home.
    GC 2023 June £72/500 NSDs 1/10
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    May I join in too? Having spent the last 2 weeks ill and now have a cough and a very sore back I want to change things and make life much simpler. Last night was too sore to get into bed so spent the night at the kitchen table with my head on a pillow on the table. Hopefully a doctor's appointment tomorrow. Then things are going to change. I follow the marie kondo thread so lots of tidying and I try and avoid the Brexit thread as it stresses me too much. I am personally responsible !! for the downfall of all the shops that are closing as I have been too ill to shop. Even lost the interest in the online sales. So maybe a shop in my wardrobe this year would be an idea and save money.
  • peony40
    peony40 Posts: 645 Forumite
    Morning all,

Grunnie, so sorry to hear about your bad back, hope it starts healing very soon for you, and that the dr can help.

Money_mess, I have some sock wool arriving today, and will be starting to knit my first pair of socks once I find a pattern. My sister was knitting a pair at Christmas and it looked fun. I have knitted with double pointed needles in the round before and enjoyed it once I got in the rythem.

I like your idea of minimising ‘online’ time, I wish to spend more time in reading and creating, whether in crochet, knitting, making the house a home etc. One thing I will work on in January is on getting up earlier, then doing housework in the morning, and then craft/reading time in the afternoon which is how my mum used to run her day.

Enjoy reading all your posts.

Take care all.
    Sealed Pot Challenge # 003
    August 2023 Grocery Challenge: Wk 2 £31.39/40 Wk 3 £35.18/40 (savings: £13.43)
  • dND
    dND Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Count me in RicardaRacoon, I have some serious belt-tightening to do this year :eek:
    2023 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 1🏅+ 4 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
    2024 DECLUTTERING CAMPAIGN 🏅💐⭐️
    2024 FASHION ON THE RATION 9/66coupons
  • I'm in

I'd like to get back to doing the stuff I did before the internet came along and became such a large part of my life.

So I think reduced screen time generally is called for. I'm going to limit the time I spend watching tv, browsing the internet and social media. Hopefully I can then use the time to read more, exercise more and declutter.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure