Boots Sale

Comments

• Figgi
    Figgi Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Africat wrote: »
    Wednesday seems very late but would be the best option for me so I'm cool with that!

Just heard that it isn’t this week.
  • Lily54
    Lily54 Posts: 79 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    In Swansea this afternoon they were putting out all the suncreams etc. in the area where the sale normally is. Much less left than usual.
  • Lavendar
    Lavendar Posts: 55 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Maybe they are not bothering this year that will cause a great uproar!
  • Figgi
    Just noticed that hot uk deals just have a link to this forum for updates. Lol
  • Figgi
    Lavendar wrote: »
    Maybe they are not bothering this year that will cause a great uproar!

Think it will happen at some point but not when loads of people are still buying at 50%
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    I've decided that I'm not even bothering at all this year if a 70% sale even does take place. The past couple of years have been increasingly unpleasant to attend - these days it's just a scrum. Just out of nosiness I popped into the big Boots in Speke earlier today and was surprised to see no fewer than TEN aisle sides still groaning with sale stock. There were dozens of the big Soap and Glory tins, along with loads of the S&G advent calendars and makeup sets; also loads of Jack Wills, Ted Baker, Superdry, Harry Potter, Sleek, Hype, NASA, Maybelline, Fat Face..... you name it, it was there. It's mind boggling to think how much of this stuff they must have manufactured, given that it's been in stores since September!!
    My theory about Boots now is that it is approximately worth what they are charging in the 70% sale. Say for example a set is priced up at £10 but in my eyes it's only worth £3. (I don't mean what it is normally priced at when on sale separately, I literally mean what it's worth). If they sell one at £10 they're making a huge profit! At 3 for 2 they'd still make £20 for £9 worth, so still turning a profit. Once things are down to 50% they're still getting £5 for a £3 item! so it's only once the 70% sale is on, that you're actually paying what it's really worth! Hardly the huge bargains they're made out to be then!
    Just because something has an arbitrary price label on it, doesn't mean that thing is "worth" that at any point!!
    I'm quite glad I've finally come to this conclusion after years of mindless Boots shopping. I feel quite relaxed now knowing that I'm not missing out by not going to the sale!
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    cagsd wrote: »
    I've decided that I'm not even bothering at all this year if a 70% sale even does take place. The past couple of years have been increasingly unpleasant to attend - these days it's just a scrum. Just out of nosiness I popped into the big Boots in Speke earlier today and was surprised to see no fewer than TEN aisle sides still groaning with sale stock. There were dozens of the big Soap and Glory tins, along with loads of the S&G advent calendars and makeup sets; also loads of Jack Wills, Ted Baker, Superdry, Harry Potter, Sleek, Hype, NASA, Maybelline, Fat Face..... you name it, it was there. It's mind boggling to think how much of this stuff they must have manufactured, given that it's been in stores since September!!
    My theory about Boots now is that it is approximately worth what they are charging in the 70% sale. Say for example a set is priced up at £10 but in my eyes it's only worth £3. (I don't mean what it is normally priced at when on sale separately, I literally mean what it's worth). If they sell one at £10 they're making a huge profit! At 3 for 2 they'd still make £20 for £9 worth, so still turning a profit. Once things are down to 50% they're still getting £5 for a £3 item! so it's only once the 70% sale is on, that you're actually paying what it's really worth! Hardly the huge bargains they're made out to be then!
    Just because something has an arbitrary price label on it, doesn't mean that thing is "worth" that at any point!!
    I'm quite glad I've finally come to this conclusion after years of mindless Boots shopping. I feel quite relaxed now knowing that I'm not missing out by not going to the sale!
    Smart girl, smart post :T
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Desperado99
    Desperado99 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Figgi wrote: »
    Just heard that it isn’t this week.

At this rate it'll happen the usual time of the 90% sale.......

I've a feeling the remaining star gifts will disappear briefly and re-appear as Mothers day gifts at full price.

Maybe that's the plan...........

TBH if they're not reducing the star gifts further, I may as well hold out for the pre-xmas 50% deals and at least get fresh stock.

P.S. Thanks for all the updates Figgi, you're a star :A
  • hi Figgi
    just read that you heard it not this week ? oh dear, what is happening lol

thank you for all your updates Xxxx
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    hi Figgi
    just read that you heard it not this week ? oh dear, what is happening lol

thank you for all your updates Xxxx

Perhaps they have realised (penny dropped somewhat late) that people wait to the 70% off, so are trying to force people into buying at 50% driven by the uncertainty (and also the fact a number of people took holiday last week thinking the sale would start then so won't be able - or wanting to use more leave - to attend the 70% sale).

Which makes sense in terms for forcing sales, but hands up who has gone to the 70% for a specific item / items only to pick up several other items because they're 'a bargain'. I certainly have, but now I have what I wanted at 50% (the one item) I have zero actual need, and rapidly waning desire, to bother with the 70% sale. So actually I'll prob be spending less overall, and have bought some items elsewhere while waiting for the 70% sale.

It may be a health and safety initiative to try and reduce the crowds and stampede - I saw a lady fall last year and people actually stepping over her :eek: However i'm sure big corps don't actually care about H&S vs profit so it likely isn't that.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family