PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Dogs in rented houses

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thank goodness someone else has mentioned OpenRent ha ha! I am going to have to ask them for commission soon lol.
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In my experience it is the agencies that are the problem.
    We used an agency to advertise our house for rent, they had a approach from a family with a small dog. The agency recommended us against accepting them. We agreed to meet the family (including dog) and were happy to rent to them. We did take a larger deposit.
    I think it helped that we are pet owners ourselves and had the difficulty of renting prviously and lying to a landlord about having a cat. There are understanding landlords out there - good luck with finding one with the right property.
  • wesleyad
    wesleyad Posts: 754 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    We've rented 6 places with 2 collies and now as LLs we allow pets (seemed hypocritical not to!) We never had much of a problem finding places. If you are struggling I'd recommend having a look on gumtree as you will be dealing directly with LL.
  • thermal2844
    thermal2844 Posts: 118 Forumite
    Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Try searching on Zoopla, there is a filter for pets. Then you will find most listings will says pets considered, but that opens up potential options for you. This is how we found both of our last rented homes, and we have two dogs so it was more of a challenge (one of them being a Lab as well). You may get quite a few !!!8220;one small dog only!!!8221; replies but keep at it. You will definitely have to pay a higher deposit up front, something like ~£200 extra is my experience.
  • Im a Landlord and would far rather dogs than children. Dogs don't spill Ribena on carpets or scribble on walls.
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    edited 17 May 2018 at 8:24AM
    I believe that larger deposits for pet friendly rentals are soon to be banned (but OK for now), a cap of 6 weeks rent is going to be introduced. I was surprised when I read that, as it seems to penalise pet owners, because additional 'pet deposits' will apparently not be allowed. The article that I read, made the point that landlords can charge higher rents for tenants with pets, but that isn't particularly helpful for the tenant. Although I must admit that we don't allow pets, we recently had a flea infestation with our own dog, and it took about 3 months to get rid of them. The problem wasn't the fleas on the dog, it was with the carpets and upholstery. He now gets two flea treatments, the regular one which kills fleas, and now also 'program' which stops them breeding, so if the first method fails, it will be far easier to control the infestation (in fact, it will get to an infestation stage). Although that was the first time in over 12 years of owning a dog, but it was bad enough in our own home, it would have been a nightmare in one of our investment properties.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Slithery wrote: »
    Really?

That's news to me and a lot of my friends that rent :)

More landlords (about 61%) use agents rather than manage their own properties, so although he overstated it slightly by saying "generally you can't contact landlords directly", this will vary geographically, for example in Scotland 79% of landlords use letting agents:

https://www.rentpro.co.uk/blog/proportion-of-landlords-using-letting-agents-spikes/
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Unpopular though it may be to say it, some dogs really smell, particularly labradors.

We have owned cars that have had dogs in them, and despite our best efforts, those vehicles kept reminding us of the fact throughout our ownership. It wasn't nice.

Frankly, I wouldn't want anything to do with renting a property that had had a lab in it, and that's coming from someone who used to have ferrets as pets!
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Davesnave wrote: »
    Unpopular though it may be to say it, some dogs really smell, particularly labradors.

We have owned cars that have had dogs in them, and despite our best efforts, those vehicles kept reminding us of the fact throughout our ownership. It wasn't nice.

Frankly, I wouldn't want anything to do with renting a property that had had a lab in it, and that's coming from someone who used to have ferrets as pets!

Former Lab owner here, too. Luckily, Suzy wasn't too bad until she reached about 12 years old, when she definitely took on the "old dog" smell.

I think it can be a dual problem, because many owners get so used to the smell they don't even realise how bad it is. If I went away for a week or two, I'd always notice the "Suzy smell" first time I walked through the door, and then 24 hrs later, the smell mysteriously went away. ;)

But seriously, I think the dog smell is easier to deal with than cigarette smoke smell, and plenty of landlords seem OK with smokers (I know a lot don't).
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • SamJ35
    SamJ35 Posts: 63 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We rent with 2 (albeit small) dogs in a private rented 2 bed, and we've lived in 2 properties with them.

Our approach was when looking online, if there was no specific statement in the listing that pets were not allowed, we would contact agent and after stating that we are interested in the property and immediately disclose up front about the dogs. The agent would usually say they would have to check with LL, or in some cases they would already know the landlord's stance. That would help with filtering straight away and avoid wasting our own time and the agents time. Some said they would require a larger deposit - some have no problems whatsoever and just standard deposit required.

Keep an eye out for properties with gardens or outdoor space - sometimes a LL is more open to pets if a garden is available as they know the 'business' will be done outside (if appropriately house trained of course!). We have a private garden with our 2 bed in London and its a life saver - couldn't imagine renting with dogs without a garden.

Keep looking and keep chasing those agents. At one point I thought it would be impossible (agents asking 'do you NEED to keep the dogs' - as if just getting rid of them was an option), but it can work out!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure