PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old style as an escape from the world?

Comments

• firebubble, I loved reading your post :T

My problem is I don’t like having anyone, not related to me or DH, in the house :rotfl:

What I would like to do is have a garden big enough to put EVERYTHING outside, do a thorough clean & then only put back what was staying. Hopefully would then create enough space to decorate a room at a time - Top to Bottom & side to side with full refurbishment.

However that is not going to happen, so we will just have to continue as we are - picking an area to empty, clean thoroughly and then put back, bin, repair, recycle or cs items. Unfortunately it is a slow process especially when my Mojo keeps popping in and out :rotfl:

Anyway onwards & upwards

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Mini Dark Star has watched Hogfather & loved it. They are working their way through The Dragons Of Crumbling Castle & The Witches Vacuum Cleaner which is junior Pratchett but more Pratchett than Truckers etc. :j:j
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    My problem is I don’t like having anyone, not related to me or DH, in the house :rotfl:
    Same here; I get seriously stressed even having Mr LW's pal round here (he's coming over this evening, too :eek: ) and I've known the chap for 16 years, the same length of time I've known Mr LW!! Canine visitors are welcome; human ones give me serious anxiety problems.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • firebubble
    firebubble Posts: 171 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    That's tough MrsSD and Lamewolf. Is the anxiety because of how your house is, or is it more serious anxiety? I had the former, and it took a while to get over that, but it went when I was further into decluttering because everything stayed (generally!) tidy. I appreciate it's very hard though if your anxiety is more serious.

I can understand the allure of taking everything outside - didn't there used to be a decluttering programme on telly which did that? It was so satisfying to watch!
  • mehefin
    mehefin Posts: 628 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Never laughed so much at a thread on here!! The ' Charter' should be on the school curriculum IMHO.
    Lamewolf...I so much know what you mean about Labradors
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I had a look at the Kondo thread and the Flylady thread and they gave me the heebie jeebies.

I have a messy OH and a messy DS and even though I d rather like no mess, neither of them is about to change any time soon so buggrit.

I am approaching my 67th birthday and am soon to retire, though I'll still do some sessional work if it is available. I don't plan to spend my retirement on housework. Not while there are books to read, yarn to knit and seeds to grow.

My friend has one of those fancypants coffee pod machines. You get a small cup of not hot enough and not tasty coffee, I have a cafetiere which makes good coffee though I rarely drink it.

My one suggestion is to pick your battles. Why spend your life pining for things that just can't be achieved? I am going to strive for the best within my reality, and if I need to stretch to achieve this, I will but not to the extent of making myself into a misery because I can't have something that I probably didn't need anyway.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Today I will be mainly tackling the "summer holiday" drawers. I'm sure there are old bikinis that have lost their elasticity (or don't fit!!), old tops and shorts that have seen better days. We go away in June, so need to start getting organised to see if I need any new items, once the shops have it in. I'll be sure not to add to the already stuffed drawers, without throwing old stuff away.
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • firebubble wrote: »
    That's tough MrsSD and Lamewolf. Is the anxiety because of how your house is, or is it more serious anxiety? I had the former, and it took a while to get over that, but it went when I was further into decluttering because everything stayed (generally!) tidy. I appreciate it's very hard though if your anxiety is more serious.

I can understand the allure of taking everything outside - didn't there used to be a decluttering programme on telly which did that? It was so satisfying to watch!

Hi firebubble,

I am lucky in that my anxiety is house related only - up until about 5 years ago I used to have the in-laws around every few months as the house was reasonably tidy & clean. Used to cook for them as well but always got a bit worked up as it would not do to poison the in-laws as they are lovely people :rotfl: As the house has got more cluttered I have become a bit more confident in my cooking - would you credit it :rotfl:

I used to love watching that programme you mentioned but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was called :eek: The part I liked best was when they threw the ‘emotional’ items into the large shredder/cruncher machine rather than into a normal bin :T now that would be satisfying :rotfl: I also liked that the programme makers would also decorate one or two rooms as well :j

ancientofdays, I applied a bit of the Kondo method but the FlyLady thread gave me palpitations (although heebie jeebies is a really good description :rotfl:) The visible clutter is going down quite well but I currently have cupboards of Doom, drawers of doom, cubby holes of doom & The Understairs Cupboard of DOOM :eek: but I will get there :) eventually :rotfl:

Still trying to do the things I enjoy - baking, knitting, reading & going on motorcycle holidays with my DH (we are both lucky enough to be retired - me for almost 7 years & DH for just over 1 year :T)

Thanks for your thoughts.

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Was the TV programme "Get your house in order" ?

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/programme-information/get-your-house-in-order

I remember watching it...:rotfl:
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    firebubble wrote: »
    Unfortunately, in my case it is serious and quite honestly crippling social phobia. People terrify me, and that's all there is to it. :(
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure