"Wombling" and the law...

MalF
MalF Posts: 25 Forumite
I wish to make a request for MSE to update and revise the information it provides on one of its most famous (or infamous) topics - namely "wombling". I feel it is (at best) irresponsible and arguably negligent for MSE to so vocally promote this activity when its legality and appropriateness is still in doubt.

The main article makes reference to "a letter" from ASDA that says they allow the activity, and another piece includes a quote from an ASDA spokeswoman apparently praising "wombles" for being savvy shoppers. However, reading the various threads on the topic, it is clear that an increasing number of people are being banned from stores and/or threatened with prosecution for fraud for an activity "that moneysaving bloke off the telly" unequivocally says is accepted, if not encouraged.

While I agree that actual prosecutions for fraud are unlikely, the prospect of a ban from what is sometimes the only affordable local supermarket can be devastating, especially as many (most?) "wombles" are those struggling for money in general.

Surely at this stage, MSE and Martin Lewis must be operators of a high enough profile to be able to pin ASDA down to a quote on a concrete policy? I appreciate it's unlikely the store will ever actively encourage the activity, but perhaps MSE could persuade ASDA Head Office to quietly instruct security staff to stop intimidating and threatening genuine shoppers looking to save a bit of money by wombling - especially as many are only doing it based on the encouragement of this site/Martin Lewis.

Alternatively, if ASDA now say it is fraudulent and wombles are indeed to be discouraged and banned, this should be made clear.

I'm sorry for the length of this, and my intent is not to have a go at a brilliant site I've lurked on but never joined for over a decade. As a relatively new wombler who follows MSE's guidelines (not looking in bins, in the store etc), I love the way it's described as a "hobby". That's exactly what it's been for me, getting me out of the house at a very difficult time (and also inevitably resulting in a lot of shopping at ASDA). Howeever, being told I was a fraudster, and being threatened with losing access to my only large, local, value supermarket if I ever picked up another receipt on ASDA property was a thoroughly depressing experience.

tl;dr: Stand up for your wombles, Martin!

Comments

• Former_MSE_Andrea
    Former_MSE_Andrea Posts: 9,614 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've helped Parliament Rampant Recycler
    edited 15 May 2017 at 10:37AM
    Thanks MalF

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see you've been with us all these years. Let us know what your best saving's been. It would be great to hear if you bought Boots toe separators - remember them?!

The article I think you're referring to was our wombles average £250 a month news story from March 2016. We don't generally update old news stories but I'm passing this on to my colleagues who cover the subject so they're aware.

Andrea :)
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Twitter, Instagram
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
  • MalF
    MalF Posts: 25 Forumite
    edited 15 May 2017 at 7:58PM
    Hi Andrea,
    Thanks for the reply. The biggest saving is probably quite boring - the huge savings from the Energy Club collective switches. I remember getting some really good mobile phone cashback deals back in the day too from the "Quick, grab it" board. Didn't get the toe separators though!

Yes, there are two wombling articles on the site that I could find, one from 2011 and the one you cited, and they both provide different support for the claim that ASDA (in particular) are OK with the practice.

I take your point about not updating old news, but given that some people are now being treated quite aggressively when they attempt to follow the advice in those articles, perhaps now is the time for a follow-up article that actually asks ASDA what their policy is. This is for the site's sake as much as anything, as I'm sure MSE does not want to be advocating and even actively encouraging fraud (as that is how ASDA staff have explicitly described the practice to me).

I have sought clarification from ASDA myself, but a week on I have no reply to my email. This is a situation (like the collective switches) where the size and reputation of a site like MSE is more likely to get a straight answer, so I'm sure a lot of people would appreciate it if, as consumer champions, MSE championed this cause on our behalf! If ASDA are OK with the practice, it would be nice if they could instruct their security to stop threatening the genuine, law-abiding customers (I had two ASDA bags full of shopping when I was threatened with a ban) who do it too. On the other hand, If it turns out ASDA are no longer OK with it, then the site needs to be updated ASAP!
  • TOP_CAT
    TOP_CAT Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 11 October 2018 at 1:15PM
    I believe after the fact at this late date Asda was saying one thing nationally to promote cheapest supermarket out of the big 5 but actively at stores letting the store management deal with APG use anyway they felt like it .
    So they would then start on customers individually to warn them off so too speak anyway they saw fit and often only if they had time .

Once its all said and done you just have to figure out methods to stay under the radar which isnt easy at all if using many apg,s weekly
    Many were making out how simple it was to use a number of Apgs yet if done so this is soon found to be full of hurdles .
    Its not impossible to do but depending on alot of varibles mostly associated with high use or high volume of APG use it can get differcult too very differcult .
    I am sorry its finishing but more sorry I didnt start using the system from the get go .at a more subdued pace .

What I have seen come out of this is how controlling the Supermarkets are becoming which is not unlike the banking sector which is never to be trusted .
    Bottom line is I fight my corner as best I can as its not worth relying on anything Asda says or does .
    If I win more than I lose givern my time limits to spend jumping the hurdles thats all I can do ...or try to manage until 31st oct .
    I have taken a few on the chin via Asda staff and it sounds like MalF has too .
  • LABMAN
    LABMAN Posts: 1,659 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    TOP_CAT wrote: »
    I believe after the fact at this late date Asda was saying one thing nationally to promote cheapest supermarket out of the big 5 but actively at stores letting the store management deal with APG use anyway they felt like it .
    So they would then start on customers individually to warn them off so too speak anyway they saw fit and often only if they had time .

Once its all said and done you just have to figure out methods to stay under the radar which isnt easy at all if using many apg,s weekly
    Many were making out how simple it was to use a number of Apgs yet if done so this is soon found to be full of hurdles .
    Its not impossible to do but depending on alot of varibles mostly associated with high use or high volume of APG use it can get differcult too very differcult .
    I am sorry its finishing but more sorry I didnt start using the system from the get go .at a more subdued pace .

What I have seen come out of this is how controlling the Supermarkets are becoming which is not unlike the banking sector which is never to be trusted .
    Bottom line is I fight my corner as best I can as its not worth relying on anything Asda says or does .
    If I win more than I lose givern my time limits to spend jumping the hurdles thats all I can do ...or try to manage until 31st oct .
    I have taken a few on the chin via Asda staff and it sounds like MalF has too .

Why drag up an 18 month old thread....particularly as the Asda price guarantee has ended?
  • TOP_CAT
    TOP_CAT Posts: 583 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Its not over till the 31st .
    Although it may be over for some .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts