Cherry takes the reins

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,002 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I've offered to get the drinks in for DD's pre-Christmas 'do'... I'm going to count that as entertainment, which we haven't exactly over-used recently and we aren't exactly going to be going too wild. :)

Spends:
    Clothing (boot repairs) £9.90
    Pets £6.00
    Housekeeping £18.87
    Gift £5.50
    Entertainment £12.40

The £18.87 for housekeeping came off my card and was extra to the weekly food budget - but it includes a large Christmas pud and £8 worth of loo rolls! I'm the only one here who believes in buying lots of these on the grounds that it's cheaper and makes us less likely to run out. The others would rather carry the things more often and risk having none when the shops are shut! All for the sake of space... well, they do have a point there.

I took a card to post and it's mysteriously disappeared. I think I dropped it somewhere but as it's all stamped and addressed I just hope some kind person posts it for me. I also grabbed a small carrier's worth of presentable clutter and took it to the charity shop. If I did that more often I wouldn't try my family's patience so much. :(
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Tea/coffee/biscuits for the nursing home? or drinks/food of some other variety. Other than that I'm not sure :o youngest's nurses always get something edible from us :o

Hope someone will find the card that will pop it in the box.

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • Cherryfudge
    Do you know, the tea/coffee/biscuits is perfect! I can remember a lovely member of staff walking round in the evening with the cup of coffee she'd had since the morning... no time to stop and drink it, but she kept on caring for people with a smile.

I might see if I can get some of the ready-made sachets so they just have to add water and might not even have to leave the room to put the kettle on. Hopefully that way they will get a bit of a brew!

Thanks Wannabe :)

• Rowing is horrible and it always seems worse at this time of year. Everything is so stressful isn't it.

I hope everything gets back to normal for you soon.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • I was going to suggest fancy tea bags or posh biscuits, the kind of stuff they may not buy for themselves, I'm sure they'll be pleased.

Is it worth apologising to DS for blowing your top? That has always been appreciated by my DC.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Apologies done and we had a civilised chat about work and Uni and stuff this evening - so hopefully the worst is over. It will take time though.

And a quick money update: I have begun the wearisome task of reconciling various receipts, mostly from our Autumn break and from Christmas present shopping. Not very far on but that's better than nowt.

I've had a small declutter... really my bedroom is a disgrace but it's less of one now than it was. I also had a quick tidy round in the kitchen - why so many jars get left on the microwave I don't really know but I had no difficulty fitting quite a few back in the cupboards. I also found some space in the freezer but I've just filled half of it with pumpkin soup. Four portions for under £1, not counting the bread to go with it.

Yet another shopping trip yesterday as I couldn't carry all the loot first time around!

Spends:
    Entertainment £1.66
    Gift £3.00
    Housekeeping £7.39

I'm back at work in the morning and tonight I've made some headway with wrapping pressies. I'll see how tiring tomorrow's shift is before I make any definite plans for the afternoon. Mornings knock me out a lot more than the same amount of time later in the day.

• Cherryfudge
    Nothing spent on 21st... MS-wise, I gave my hair a trim which should see it through to next year. Most presents wrapped but as usual the stockings are uneven so I have some last-minute buying to do. On the positive side, I now have Saturday off as well as all the following days through to 27th. :)

Work in the morning so I need to get to bed now.

• Cherryfudge
    So no more work for a few days - unless they have an emergency tomorrow! We'll see. I was originally on a day off, then picked up a shift, then cancelled it but am sort of on stand-by because I might just be needed... nice to have a varied life! :)

I was tired and achey when I got home so my plans to do some last-minute shopping got scuppered, then about the time that sane people are going to bed I had energy and enthusiasm so off I went. Mr T was about as busy as on a normal weekday despite it being gone 10 at night! The only items definitely on my list were bread and milk but I was in a bit of a flap about the people who don't have as many stocking fillers and ended up getting things for them, plus drinks for Christmas Day and meat for Sunday. So much for bread and milk, though I did at least get those.

It really looks as though two items for DD and DS2 aren't going to be here in time for Christmas but they are old enough to understand and there are lots of other things for them. However I'm really impressed with deliveries from other places. Nearly everything is wrapped. Phew.

Spends for 22/12/17:
    Housekeeping £36.77
    Household £2.00
    Gifts £18.00
    MS stuff:
    I was able to put the meat for Sunday straight in the freezer without invading DS's territory so I must have been successful in trying to use up stuff from there!
    Confession time:
    Went for bread and milk, spent £56. :eek:
    I know I have it to spend, which is a blessing, and it was useful stuff - even the gifts are practical - but frugalism seems to go straight out of my head as soon as Christmas appears.

• parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Blimey cherry, bread and milk is expensive by you. :rotfl::p

Have a lovely christmas. X
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • Cherryfudge
    Ha ha, absolutely parsnip :rotfl:

Hope you have a lovely Christmas too. :)

In other news, my new amaryllis finally has a shoot! Thank you to honeysucklelou for her advice which is probably what kicked it into start.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport