PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Help... It's time for change!!!

Comments

• Poddly
    Poddly Posts: 197 Forumite
    Sounds like you have mastered lasagne then, hope the evening is a great success!

You have added two 'building blocks' to your repetoire - a bolognese sauce and a cheese sauce, using these you can adapt slightly to make lots of other things.

From bolognese; add chilli powder or fresh chilli, peppers and kidney beans for chilli con carne; cook without tomato, use gravy or stock, add carrots, top with mash for shepherds pie; eat with spaghetti.

From cheese sauce: add to pasta with maybe bacon and leek, chicken or tuna to make a pasta bake; use in a fish pie; omit the cheese add to cooked chicken for a pie or cobbler (scone mix).

Sorry if this is too basic! I have teenage boys I am trying to teach to cook.
  • Mint1955
    Mint1955 Posts: 685 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi Goldie girl I have been following your adventure and noting being near to you in uk and talking about ears etc so thank you for commenting.

It's not been without a lot of heartache so this is a fresh start.

I am aware of the basics but it all seems such a faff hence short cuts with jars has become more and more the easier way.

But I have to remember I have so much more time I just need to use it better and actually enjoy cooking and eating it.

X
    Living the dream and retired in Cyprus :j

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5105296
  • Mint1955
    Hi Poddly,
    It was quite cathartic to make the lasagne and cheese sauce and I have to say not much longer time wise.

Thanks for the next stages as I hadn't thought of some of those especially using the white or cheese sauce. Pasta bake do I cook the pasta first or does it go in dry? How long in the oven, sorry so basic but I have tried looking stuff up but it then gets complicated with loads of other ingredients etc which then gets me into my oh b****r it I can't be bothered mode.

• Poddly
    Poddly Posts: 197 Forumite
    Yes for pasta bake cook the pasta first, then mix with sauce and other ingredients, I would cook meat etc. first too. Then put in hot oven for 20-30 mins for a crispy top.

Is there anything in particular you want to cook but can't get ingredients for? Maybe people could suggest alternatives or ways to cook from scratch.
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Mint1955 wrote: »

I am aware of the basics but it all seems such a faff hence short cuts with jars has become more and more the easier way.

But I have to remember I have so much more time I just need to use it better and actually enjoy cooking and eating it.

X

I've never been adverse to a jar or casserole mix, especially on working days, for the quickness

But they have way to much salt for my requirements these days.

But as you say, soon I'll have a lot more time, and when I have time I enjoy the cooking process.

Will you have a freezer? I've found it helpful to cook larger amounts of things like chilli, and then freezing it in portions so I have ready meals available when I'm short of time

I'm glad you are starting the next stage of your life, it's a good feeling to be able to move forward
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Mint1955
    Yes we have a small freezer and huge fridge but everything has to be in there because of the heat especially in summer and also the creepy crawlies are sly little wotsits!
    Last night was fab nibbles consumed with drinks. One small square of lasagne left for OH lunch and a some lovely comments so that was good.

Desert was a bit of A pick and mix but everyone seemed to love that and kept nibbling away. A beautiful lemon drizzle ring cake was bought by a guest so we had that with some coffee later.

Everyone went home just after 12 after finding torches as it's pitch black once the lights go out. The log burner was fired up just because we could as it's not that cold indoors with six people and the oven on but it was nice and everyone commented on it but jumpers all had to be removed quite quickly lol

All well worth the effort and far cheaper than eating out plus we could all have a drink ;-)

Today we are going to start scavenging on a walk in the mountains for kindling and pine cones to use as fire starters in the log burner for the winter and we also need to collect some local sandstone to build the gas bottle cover.

• Mint1955
    Just a little update .....

Tasks to be done

Get gas bottle moved out of a kitchen cupboard and locate outside which will free up a cupboard and be safer. Done

Have shelf put in cupboard

scavenge local sandstone lumps to build a little walled cover for the gas bottle

Fix the panels on the jacuzzi outer that have come unstuck due to the sun. Done

Get safe fitted Done

House number on wall Done

Make up cabinet for bedroom Done

Start collecting kindling for the log burner.

Chase up the log delivery

Chase up builder to put roof up to shelter the logs

Chase up other builder to winter proof the outside walls and wood etc Done coming Monday :money:

Re do sealant around windows outside

Indoors jobs which will probably wait until we return

Scrape out and renew all grouting on floor tiles

Remove clean and re fix all tiled uprights (our skirting boards)

Scrape back and repair damp patches

Do new sealant round all windows inside

• esmf73
    esmf73 Posts: 1,784 Forumite
    Mint, we lived in s cyprus for two years with the army and loved it. Yes you will need to cook everything possible from scratch although packets are available - try orphanidies in Nicosia, but prices are at a premium. See if you can get through Amazon Turkish and Greek cook books, I have two brilliant ones, small but great. What the Cypriots can't do with veg is not worth knowing!
    I used to make pastry with oil rather than using the rubbed in method. Try a good housekeeping cook book as they detail lots of things. Also try and get a cook book with pictures so you can identify what things are in a language you understand. Xx very exciting. Loved Kyrenia and famagusta.
    2014 will be all about ME!
    ( well that hasn't happened!!!)
    Mortgage free. Will be debt free in Nov 2014. Credit card £250
  • Mint1955
    We can cross the border into South Cyprus but need extra car insurance 25 euros for a month I think so we will have to plan the trip to maybe do a couple of crossings in the time. But I found out today that there is a lidl just over the border. There is also a carrefour, ikea and a large home store which is like b and q. So with a but of planning I may be able to stock up on things not easily available and save a bit to offset the insurance. But it will also be good to travel see a bit in the South. We also have a restriction on how much money wise our shopping can total but most times you are not checked but you can't bring big electricals over the border they will be confiscated if found.

There are also places like marks and spencer and debenhams but unless there is a sale on I won't worry as the prices are inflated. I will stock up while in the uk on my favourite underwear and marks and spencer slippers lol

We do have many many knock off designer shops here and the tourists love them!

Cook books with pictures is the way to go so I can see if I am anywhere near right when it's finished lol

• Anne_Marie_2
    Anne_Marie_2 Posts: 2,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Mint there's a great local cookbook available called Kibris Mutfagindan Tatlar/Tastes from Cyprus which I believe you can get in the bookshop in the block of shops next to Lemar, opposite the money exchange in Karakum. It has the recipes both in Turkish and English, which is great for learning the names of the ingredients, and also has photographs.
    You can get jars of sauces, as you will no doubt know, but they are expensive. It's so much better to buy fresh ingredients and make your own. When tomatoes are cheap, I buy kilos and roast and freeze them for making into sauces over the year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure