Free online storage services

Options

Comments

• richardlower
    Options
    Dropbox is superb.
    Extra free space for recomending others.
    Automatically syncs with all your devices so you have your files saved in multiple places as well as online.
    Best of all, when you take a photo with your android it automatically syncs all your devices so when you get home your photos are already waiting for you on your desktop or laptop etc. No need to connect your phone and transfer the files.
    Brilliant.

If you can't get enough free space, don't pay for it, just sign up with as many other free services as nessesary.
    In my opinion Dropbox is easiest and most convenient to use so use the others only when you need to.
  • greenalien_2
    Options
    Just to point out that none of these services are actually free - transferring data to an online storage facility will eat into your monthly data allowance. Of course, you may have an unlimited account - but if so, you're probably paying a lot of money for it!
    Burning data onto a DVD-R leaves you in control of the data and only costs around 30p for 4.7GB. If the data is important, burn 2 copies and keep them in separate places.
    Better still, invest in a portable hard drive for your backups as well - at around £70 for 1 TB of data, that's only 7p per GB!
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    seaneeboy wrote: »
    I use Livedrive and it's excellent. Unlimited backup of a computer (I'm currently on around 500GB) or higher packages let you share files like a massive, cheaper version of Dropbox.

From £35/year.

Sorry, I'm too new to post a link. But it's easy enough to find. Search for Livedrive.
    The thread title is " Free online storage services", and £35 is not free...
  • prowla
    prowla Posts: 13,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    greenalien wrote: »
    Just to point out that none of these services are actually free - transferring data to an online storage facility will eat into your monthly data allowance. Of course, you may have an unlimited account - but if so, you're probably paying a lot of money for it!
    Burning data onto a DVD-R leaves you in control of the data and only costs around 30p for 4.7GB. If the data is important, burn 2 copies and keep them in separate places.
    Better still, invest in a portable hard drive for your backups as well - at around £70 for 1 TB of data, that's only 7p per GB!
    I pay a monthly amount for unlimited use on my BB. The storage services are free because the provider does not charge you.

Also, beware that a DVD may not be as safe a storage medium as you think, and if you burn 2 DVDs from the same pack at the same time then they may not offer quite the absolute data security that you may imagine.
  • TheRealFixer
    Options
    weinsteini wrote: »
    I'd like to back up my USB key online but i have loads of folders within folders on it. I've tried Sky Drive but they only upload one folder at a time. Does anyone know of any free services that will allow me to upload the whole directory in one go?

adrive.com will - I use it to batch upload my photos contained in nested folders.

Phil
  • markbernstein
    Options
    What has kept me from using any of these services so far is that I feel uncomfortable with uploading files that may contain personal, private or otherwise "sensitive" information into an environment that is basically open to anyone who has the means to sniff around, be it a rogue employee of the file hoster or the government of whichever country my files may physically end up in.

What I would really like is to keep my files at the host in an encrypted form. I could do that by hand (i.e. encrypt on my computer before uploading, decrypt after downloading), but for regular backups or any sort of synchronising that would be very awkward.

Does anyone know of a file host that offers "on the fly" encrypting/decrypting during uploading/downloading, or a PC-based program that would do the job independently of the host?

I'm not talking about encrypting the files during travel through the Internet; I assume many services will offer that protection by using a https connection. I'm looking for a way to keep the files encrypted while they are with the host.
  • BHS
    BHS Posts: 11 Forumite
    edited 5 September 2012 at 9:34PM
    Options
    If you're looking for a totally secure/private service then look at Spideroak.

With Spideroak your data is encrypted on your PC before transmission to the servers and only you have the key, so nobody can look at your data, Spideroak call this Zero Knowledge Privacy.

If you want to achieve similar results with Dropbox, GDrive etc. then take a look at BoxCryptor or Cloudfogger apps.
  • ReefDebt
    Options
    Amazon recently launched its Cloud service in the UK (Amazon Cloud Drive).

You get 5GB free with your amazon account and various packages that are cheaper than skydrive/google/apple.

Search for "Amazon cloud drive UK" (Sorry can't post links)

I'm looking to purchase the 20GB for £6 which seems a fab deal to me.

I already have 50GB with box.com however would trust my files with amazon more.
  • I use the free zonealarm idrive backup at 5GB (type it into google)

The data transfer and storage is automatically securely encrypted
    Software is free
    It sync updates automatically any changed files
    It works flawlessly

Downside - still only 5GB free
  • markbernstein
    Options
    BHS wrote: »
    If you're looking for a totally secure/private service then look at Spideroak.

With Spideroak your data is encrypted on your PC before transmission to the servers and only you have the key, so nobody can look at your data, Spideroak call this Zero Knowledge Privacy.

If you want to achieve similar results with Dropbox, GDrive etc. then take a look at BoxCryptor or Cloudfogger apps.

Superb advice! Thanks very much.

Here's an interesting review of Spideroak:
    http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/04/spideroak-dropbox-for-the-security-obsessive/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure