High Street Haggling Discussion

Comments

• I saw a 'Bench Saw' in B+Q, it was reduced from £120.00 to £60.00 in their 'End of Line Sale Day', after pointing out that the box was ripped (I said it was a present for a friend and I would have to present it in a box that would have to be made up at a great personal loss of my time) another 20%.
    Then I noticed that the tool kit was missing (an allan key).
    I offered £25.00 and it was accepted.

Ahem....Haven't used it as yet though.;)
  • Bought some solid wood flooring today for my dining room from Floors To Go for £450 instead of £530 which they originally quoted me and I told them it was too much, the same stuff in B&Q was nearly £1000 so I am a happy bunny
    Aug GC £63.23/£200, Total Savings £0
  • Clothes shops usually give no discount for a missing button etc because often the assistant doesn't know how to process it through the til. The alternative is stores (like Topshop) that offer student discount, in which case saying 'this is damaged can I have 10% off it, you give that to students anyway' can work.
  • My laptops on the blink and im looking in to getting a new one, i want a decent one for photos and music, and i was hoping you lot could give me a few pointers into haggling some money off and free stuff.
    (my dads coming with me so he can do the bargaining while i stand there and look embarressed!) Any advice would be brilliant, on the best place to go, what to say to them... etc.
    thanks xxx
  • Rebel wrote: »
    Re dougal21's post about the independent shop, sorry but I have to say the shop can always refuse to give discount, surely they are better off taking a smaller profit and getting the sale than NO profit at all because the customer goes elsewhere.

I used to be a retail regional manager, and dependent on the circumstances would far rather take some profit (If for example the item was readily available and not in short supply) than lose a sale.

Whilst I like seeing independents, many of these use that to their advantage and price stock accordingly.

I personally only buy from shops that supply the goods I want at a FAIR price, that doesn't necessarilly mean the cheapest, there are some occasions where back up and support matter more to me than a small saving, but I will NOT pay over the odds either.

A fair price is a price where both parties come away happy as far as I'm concerned, the shop makes some profit (albeit less than they hoped for) and I get what I want at a price I am prepared to pay.

You say you used to be 'retail regional manager'. That sounds like a salaried position for a chain of stores. Is that correct? If so then I don't think you quite understand the pressure on an independent retailer who is the shop owner and whose livelihood depends upon the day's takings.

Yes, loyalty and regular custom is rewarded with discounts, but not browbeating and haggling. A 'fair' price as you put it is the price on the ticket. It's fair because it's what's required for the shop owner to cover all the costs and overheads of running the business; paying for the stock, the staff, the business rates, utilities, security, various forms of taxation etc. AND make a little bit of profit so that there's something in the pot at the end of the year.

If you demand discounts for every purchase then you might as well ask to take a £20 note out of the shop owner's wallet/purse, because every other bill, tax, and cost has to be paid before the owner sees a penny's reward for all the hard work.
  • ger8 wrote: »
    If a customer asks me for a discount my reply now is - "Hang on a minute then while I call my Landlord to see if he will reduce my rent this month, and then I'll ring the Council to see if they will reduce my rates"

If I was confronted with such sarcasm the next thing you would see would be me leaving, never to come back.
  • Rebel
    Rebel Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    dougal21 wrote: »
    You say you used to be 'retail regional manager'. That sounds like a salaried position for a chain of stores. Is that correct? If so then I don't think you quite understand the pressure on an independent retailer who is the shop owner and whose livelihood depends upon the day's takings.

Yes, loyalty and regular custom is rewarded with discounts, but not browbeating and haggling. A 'fair' price as you put it is the price on the ticket. It's fair because it's what's required for the shop owner to cover all the costs and overheads of running the business; paying for the stock, the staff, the business rates, utilities, security, various forms of taxation etc. AND make a little bit of profit so that there's something in the pot at the end of the year.

If you demand discounts for every purchase then you might as well ask to take a £20 note out of the shop owner's wallet/purse, because every other bill, tax, and cost has to be paid before the owner sees a penny's reward for all the hard work.

As I said the shopkeeper has the right to refuse to discount (if I didnt say that I should have) however, I have the right to go elsewhere and buy from someone that is prepared to take a slightly lower profit and give me a deal I am happy with.

The question is does the small shopkeeper want some profit or none at all?

That is their decision, my decision is who do I give my money to and how much.
  • Rebel
    Rebel Posts: 189 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    StuHolmes wrote: »
    If I was confronted with such sarcasm the next thing you would see would be me leaving, never to come back.
    Well said, that would be my reaction as well.

Unfortunately some small shopkeepers can be their own worst enemy, whilst they may be happy with their decision to do business in whatever manner they choose a lot of them will stay happy all the way into bankruptsy.

The customer is NOT always right, but he IS always the customer, and it is HIS money the shopkeeper wants!
  • Clothes shops usually give no discount for a missing button etc because often the assistant doesn't know how to process it through the til. The alternative is stores (like Topshop) that offer student discount, in which case saying 'this is damaged can I have 10% off it, you give that to students anyway' can work.

Actually, retailers have what is known as "reason codes" for giving discounts, and there is one for damaged goods. I know because I've looked at it on receipts when I've asked for it.
  • My laptops on the blink and im looking in to getting a new one, i want a decent one for photos and music, and i was hoping you lot could give me a few pointers into haggling some money off and free stuff.
    (my dads coming with me so he can do the bargaining while i stand there and look embarressed!) Any advice would be brilliant, on the best place to go, what to say to them... etc.
    thanks xxx

Not sure about haggling in store but you can get cashback online and find discount vouchers....I did that with mine; I found a £10 code, free delivery and then went through a cashback site (although they still owe me money 6 months on - Quidco, FYI).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure