PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Student House Hell - Need Advice

Comments

• He didn't have to study medicine, no,maybe not but it was what he wanted since he was 5 years old and he worked his socks off to get there.

Also as far as being compensated with a huge salary and long holidays really? Last weekend he worked 4 12 hour consecutive night shifts followed by a 12 hour day because his consultant had a theatre list, so he was operating from 8 o clock Sunday evening until 7 o o'clock Monday evening.
    While you were no doubt at home with your family for Christmas he worked 4 days of twilights 7 am to 11pm. He is a neurosurgeon, with 9 years of training to undertake and before you think he earns a vast salary, believe me with the hours he works, per hour it does not equate to vast!
    He never has a lunch break and some days doesn't even get a drink.

I really feel for the OP, trying to study at Uni, whatever course you undertake, you should have somewhere decent to live and study, especially for that level of rent.

Good for him - he's worth his weight in gold. Must people don't have that type of stamina.
  • I'd be absolutely amazed if the LL didn't have a gas safety cert, the OP just said he wasn't given one. If they used an agent check with them, the agents I've used always check this themselves and the cost is so low why wouldn't LL get one? I can also envisage students not being particularly interested when given stuff like "How to rent" booklet and Cert.

Re the lock send landlord a letter stating premises insecure and if not fixed you will get it done and deduct cost from rent.

Could be cheaper to change inner door barrel or mortice, both simple jobs for a handyman.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's irrelevant if the LL does have a GSC, because if it is not provided to the tenants at the point of occupation, then the LL is committing a criminal offence. End of. No defence.
    OP has not yet told us if the deposit has been protected, but if not, then that's yet another breach of the LL's duties, and I'd fully encourage the OP to sue at the end of tenancy for 3 times the deposit, which they will win.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • dimbo61
    dimbo61 Posts: 13,716 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    So the poster has stated that this is a 4 bedroom student property which maybe a HMO requiring a Licence depending on the area. Is this Wales ?
    It would be a very very stupid landlord who did not get a Gas Safe Certificate every single year.
    Ask the Landlord for a copy of the GSC. Did the Landlord sent you the How to Rent booklet as required by law ?
    Were you sent the Information for Tenants leaflet about where the deposit would be registered ? Have you received the deposit information. Who is the Lead Tenant.
    The Landlord is a complete idiot for not having a full inventory done.
    There are so many Laws and rules/regulations/ responsibilities around renting that being a Landlord is not about watching the money role in each month.
    The New HMO licence now required for all large HMO properties ( 5+ tenants ) places a whole new number of standards on landlords IE Room size, waste management, Fire Safety, Kitchen and Living Space, Kitchen Facilities IE Number of Cooking appliances, Washing (Sink and Dishwasher ) Bathrooms etc
    Complain to the University accommodation office if you have one.
    Write with Pen and Paper to the Landlord that the property is not safe due to the fault with locking the door.
  • FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    So why should we be paying so much extra to basically improve and maintain the property when we already provide her with enough money?
    I expect the lack of cooperation from your LL Could have to do with your attitude she's picked up on. You have no idea whether you're given her enough money. You don't know how much she pays in rent and/or taxes, and how much repairs are costing her.

Depending on where you are, what you pay is not a lot for student accommodation, my DD pays more than that up North and there are 5 of them.

Mould is more likely your doing. How many baths are there. 4vpeople showering every day possibly more, a dryer that goes on maybe every other day if no more, lack of open windows will be enough to cause a problem. It is your responsibility to ventilate the house appropriately even if it means doing things you don't want to do.

Waiting 10 days for hot water is not great but not totally unacceptable. I had to wait about that long as a home owner because I couldn't get one gas engeneer to come for 4 days and then the part needed ordering. It's a pain, but it happens.

As for the door, it doesn't make much sense. The lock broke, possibly due to one of you guys misusing it but the LL changed it and didn't charge you. You say it has t been done properly and then bring up something about the structure of the door which indeed, if the issue wasn't therecwhen you fist moved in would indicate that it's been cause by one of you guys being a bit too forceful with the door.

Sadly I think your pushy attitude might mean that your LL wants as little to do with you guys as possible. Ideally, you should ask her to come over, at a convenient time to her, to check the door and see what she thinks about the security. You can then come to an agreement all together as to whether she's get the full repairs, or not, in which case you can tell her that you'll change the locks whilst you're there and will put the current lock back when you move out.

By the way, my DD is studying Medicine and working PT, some evenings and weekends. A few of her fellow students do.
  • OP: You said that there was an 'inner' front door behind the broken porch-type front door, and that the landlord had told you that the key to this had been lost.

Change the lock on this second front door and have a key cut for each of the four students living there. (Yes, there are videos on how to change locks on YouTube.)

That way it won't matter if the porch door falls off the wall, or the lock gives way; you won't have to lock it at all.

If the landlord queries your ability to secure the house via this second front door, tell her that, by a fortunate chance, you "found the key which had been lost." That should call her bluff.

And no, you don't have to give her a key to the replaced lock, at least, not until the end of your tenancy.
    e cineribus resurgam
    ("From the ashes I shall arise.")
  • macman wrote: »
    It's irrelevant if the LL does have a GSC, because if it is not provided to the tenants at the point of occupation, then the LL is committing a criminal offence. End of. No defence.
    OP has not yet told us if the deposit has been protected, but if not, then that's yet another breach of the LL's duties, and I'd fully encourage the OP to sue at the end of tenancy for 3 times the deposit, which they will win.

So in that case almost every tenant could just say they weren't given a copy and win in court. The landlord's ability to show a certificate and claim he gave a copy would obviously count for nothing.

I let a house last year to a young couple, they locked both sets of keys in the house after a few days and expected me to drop everything and come and let them in. They didn't think they had to pay rent at the end of the month because they had paid the agent 2 months rent in advance, (ie deposit and 1 months rent) do you think they even read the tenancy agreement let alone knew about the deposit bonding or the gas safety?

Don't take everything posted on behalf of students as being accurate, the landlord may be at fault, but then again we are only getting one side of the story.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Comms69 wrote: »
    No-one held a gun to his head and forced him

Quite an ironic statement from you ;)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Marvel1 wrote: »
    Quite an ironic statement from you ;)

How’s that?