NHS Penalty Charge Notice received

Options
2»

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Options
    Just had another PCN for another prescription that the same pharmacy must have wrongly claimed for in October, thankfully I stopped using them not long after and so probably only another 2 or 3 to defend! It really is a low pick up rate though because I have about 20 items and so 4 or 5 physical prescriptions of 4 or 5 items each month, but each time only one prescription (4 items) that was flagged
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Flugelhorn wrote: »
    in our dispensary we didn't mark a script as pay or not pay until the medication was actually collected, if it wasn't collected after a period of time then it was removed from those waiting to be collected and the prescription destroyed - it would not have been sent to the PPA. You can't be charged etc for a prescription you don't collect.

On some other threads, it's become obvious that many pharmacies are signing these scripts and submitting them to the PPA before the script has been collected. As it's only the date of the medication's collection that the prescription charge becomes due, this has caused problems with PPCs and the like.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    The pharmacy should NOT be signing any prescription, that is down to the individual named on the issued prescription.

I would be complaining directly to the pharmacy and contacting the NHS Business Services Authority and letting them know what is happening.
  • KitKatKen
    Options
    Hello,

My apologies for the late response, it's been a challenging week at work. Thank you all for your advice and opinions, it's such a relief knowing I am not alone in receiving these awfully executed penalty charges, I had no idea this problem was so widespread. For a brief moment, I actually thought the PCN was a joke when I first opened the envelope as I have never heard of them before.

Once home from work I will send my appeal tonight and post their response to, hopefully, help others.

Many thanks again.
  • KitKatKen
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Just to update you all, the penalty charge I received has been cancelled! :)

This is the response I sent as my appeal:

"I recently received a Penalty Charge Notice: Ref: xxxxxxxxxxx

Prescription Charges: £26.40
    Penalty Charge: £100.00
    Total Due: £126.40

The notice states:

"an automated check has shown that on or between 19th October 2018 and 05 November 2018 I claimed A FREE NHS prescription." and I "submitted a claim named as a valid prescription prepayment certificate" and I should pay by 15th February 2019.

Not only have I never made an attempt to claim a free prescription I have not collected any medication of any kind from a pharmacy for nearly a year including the dates indicated on the PCN.

I allowed my last prescription prepayment certificate to expire at the end of September 2018 as I no longer wished to take the medication I had been prescribed.

I visited my GP around the dates indicated and he noticed I had not asked for any medication for nearly a year and sent a prescription electronically to my local chemist. I did not want the medication and chose not to collect it and forgot all about it.

I can only assume that as I am on record as having a prescription prepayment card, my local chemist processed my prescription in my absence which they had no right to do but this is just an assumption.

Whether this is the case or not I am challenging this PCN as I have not committed the offence I am accused of and have no intention of paying the penalty."
  • KitKatKen
    Options
    And their response:

"Thank you for your email.

As we've received a declaration confirming that you didn't collect the prescription relating to the Penalty Charge Notice (PCN), you're not required to pay the penalty charge and your case has been closed.

To query why this prescription was submitted to us, please speak to your pharmacy or GP practice directly.

Please give us your views on the service you received today by taking part in our survey (url not permitted)

For general enquiries, you can use the Ask Us section of our website.

If you require any further assistance please contact us by email or telephone us on 0300 330 9291.

Kind Regards,

Catherine

NHS Penalty Charges"
  • KitKatKen
    Options
    And lastly a big thank you to all of you for giving me the confidence to challenge this awful charge.

I hope the above helps others to challenge their PCN.

Thanks again and I wish you all a good evening.

:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport