is 20mph speed limit in residential roads legal?

Comments

• AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Deastons wrote: »
    I think you've confused me admitting I can get distracted when driving at 20mph with me not minding that I can get distracted when driving at 20mph.

You got distracted when you reversed into a hole.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I think you've confused me admitting I can get distracted when driving at 20mph with me not minding that I can get distracted when driving at 20mph.

If you minded at all you'd stop getting distracted surely?
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,552
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The problem with many 20 mph limits is that they are only needed some of the time. One example would be that limit outside or near a school. If technology was applied to the 20 mph limit so it was on during the period of school being open and not in the evenings and holidays then it would be more likely to be observed by more people. It is the inflexibility of those who install it that causes the problem IMO. Similarly having higher limits that vary according to road conditions would be sensible (they have had those in France on autoroutes for more than 20 years 82 mph in good conditions. Substantially less in heavy rain, ice or fog.)
  • ElefantEd
    ElefantEd Posts: 1,186
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    There's a 20mph limit outside our local school "when the lights flash" - which they do during term time at the start and end of the school day. Perfectly sensible, quite flexible. The limit is 30mph the rest of the time.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I hate people who speed. HATE. And too many people do it.

I hate braindead morons that think speeding is automatically dangerous and that not speeding is automatically safe.

If you looked at the official accident stats I think you'd be surprised at just how little exceeding the speed limit was a contributory factor in accidents and road deaths. In 2016, the last year there are official figures for, speeding was a contributory factor in just 5% of all accidents.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/ras50-contributory-factors#table-ras50008
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    ElefantEd wrote: »
    There's a 20mph limit outside our local school "when the lights flash" - which they do during term time at the start and end of the school day. Perfectly sensible, quite flexible. The limit is 30mph the rest of the time.
    One or two like that around here. Makes more sense than just bunging a permanent 20 limit at it IMHO.
    Tarambor wrote: »
    I hate braindead morons that think speeding is automatically dangerous and that not speeding is automatically safe.

If you looked at the official accident stats I think you'd be surprised at just how little exceeding the speed limit was a contributory factor in accidents and road deaths. In 2016, the last year there are official figures for, speeding was a contributory factor in just 5% of all accidents.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/ras50-contributory-factors#table-ras50008
    The speeding motorist has been a favourite pinch since the red flag law was in force.
    It's a catch all though, and you can't argue about being over the speed limit as you could if it had to be proved that a particular speed was dangerous.
    You also have to legislate for the least competent.
    As a lot of the driving that you see would suggest that the drivers shouldn't be let loose with a hand cart, it's probably better that they have a visible limit to at least roughly stick to. :eek:

The 40-45 mph thing was being discussed in the pub last night.
    You know the people who drive at 40 - 45 mph on main roads, but then keep going at the same speed in 30 limits. . .
    Seems to be becoming more prevalent.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Jackmydad wrote: »
    You know the people who drive at 40 - 45 mph on main roads, but then keep going at the same speed in 30 limits. . .
    Seems to be becoming more prevalent.

I call them MSMs ... Mono Speed Morons

MSMs are probably also MLMs ... Middle Lane Morons
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    The problem with many 20 mph limits is that they are only needed some of the time. One example would be that limit outside or near a school. If technology was applied to the 20 mph limit so it was on during the period of school being open and not in the evenings and holidays then it would be more likely to be observed by more people. It is the inflexibility of those who install it that causes the problem IMO. Similarly having higher limits that vary according to road conditions would be sensible (they have had those in France on autoroutes for more than 20 years 82 mph in good conditions. Substantially less in heavy rain, ice or fog.)

Got one near me outside a school, ludicrous setting off the warning sign when driving at 30mph into the area at 9pm at night, on a Saturday, during school holidays - they have speed bumps there too.

When I was in Australia a while ago I was told they also have variable speeds for roadworks with 2x the points for speeding if workforce are there, when no-one is there, road works vanish. Wish Britain would do this rather than waste time and money by enforcing 50mph limits with cameras all the time even when no-one is working. M5 near me is the worst, 30mph limit 2 lane each side during roadworks, you just crawl along
  • liviboy
    liviboy Posts: 544
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Nasqueron wrote: »
    Got one near me outside a school, ludicrous setting off the warning sign when driving at 30mph into the area at 9pm at night, on a Saturday, during school holidays - they have speed bumps there too.

When I was in Australia a while ago I was told they also have variable speeds for roadworks with 2x the points for speeding if workforce are there, when no-one is there, road works vanish. Wish Britain would do this rather than waste time and money by enforcing 50mph limits with cameras all the time even when no-one is working. M5 near me is the worst, 30mph limit 2 lane each side during roadworks, you just crawl along

It was actually the death of a friend's family member that changed the rules in the UK for roadworks. It was ultimately his death by a driver, driving through roadworks on a road he drove 4 times a day (and so was driving in "autopilot") that led to roadworks road layout changes...

That's why in the week before work begins on especially busy roads (motorways, etc.) the cones are put down and speed restrictions introduced. It gets regular users used to the new layout and speed. It is also the reason why reduced speeds are enforced 24/7.

Just thought I'd give you that wee snippet of info. As annoying as slowing down to 50 or 40 through roadworks can be at 2am, ultimately it is there for a reason and if one life is saved then it's well worth it.
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,022
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    liviboy wrote: »
    Just thought I'd give you that wee snippet of info. As annoying as slowing down to 50 or 40 through roadworks can be at 2am, ultimately it is there for a reason and if one life is saved then it's well worth it.

Exactly. If people drove sensibly and paid attention, these rules would not be necessary. But we have to protect people from those who don't.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure