£99 deposit on fuel.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ectophile wrote: »
    It's called a storm in a teacup.

I was referring to our ancient banking system that can't process a transaction instantly, having to take 3 days to refund reserved funds. Also the fact that UK pumps never have options to fill up pre-set amounts unlike other countries.

Also I'd say the storm could be much larger if you only have limited funds, while they are holding £100 for no reason you could have other bills due etc.
    2e0arr wrote: »
    so i go to self service pump insert card it asks for pin.
    i put in incorrect pin it cancels transaction, i remove card.
    should £1 or any deduction from available credit be made please ?

Why would I know that? I don't tend to put my card in, type a wrong pin then leave. You'd have to ask ASDA that.
  • 2e0arr
    2e0arr Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 May 2018 at 9:05AM
    Why would I know that? I don't tend to put my card in, type a wrong pin then leave. You'd have to ask ASDA that.
    It was a new card collected that morning. i had selected a new pin when i collected the card from the store.

At the Asda petrol station i was on auto pilot I used the pin i had used on my old credit card and realised it when i next used the card by making the same mistake at another transaction.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    facade wrote: »
    So much for "Industry Rules" then :D

It means the rules set by the industry - essentially Visa and Mastercard - for the operation of their card schemes by retailers.

Cards are not a right - the issuers get to set the terms and conditions for using them by consumers and retailers.

This requirement was set by them, not by Asda, as a way to reduce fraud. But many of the banks aren't playing nice - industry rules also say they should release the pre-auth immediately once the transaction completes but many of them don't.

So Asda have decided to ignore the rule set by Visa / Mastercard on this until the banks also abide by them.
  • 2e0arr
    Joe_Horner wrote: »
    It means the rules set by the industry - essentially Visa and Mastercard - for the operation of their card schemes by retailers.

Cards are not a right - the issuers get to set the terms and conditions for using them by consumers and retailers.

This requirement was set by them, not by Asda, as a way to reduce fraud. But many of the banks aren't playing nice - industry rules also say they should release the pre-auth immediately once the transaction completes but many of them don't.

So Asda have decided to ignore the rule set by Visa / Mastercard on this until the banks also abide by them.

I would consider that the FCA set the rules in the FCA principles and industry must work within them.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    I would consider that the FCA set the rules in the FCA principles and industry must work within them.

Like most industries, they set their own "rules" in the hope of keeping officialdom off their backs ;)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,175 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post

Cards are not a right

Well they need to buck up their ideas if they are pushing for a cashless society. A card will be a right.
  • Joe_Horner
    Joe_Horner Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker

No, the FCA sets the limits within which the rules are up to the issuers.

So if, for example, the card issuers decided to introduce an annual fee for debit cards to cover the administration cost of the many cards that are only ever used in cash machines, then that's up to them. The only interest the FCA would have is whether the level of fee is reasonable and whether it was explained properly to customers.
  • JP1978
    JP1978 Posts: 527 Forumite
    I wonder if any organisations make money (interest) off these pre-auth amounts?
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,026 Forumite
    I imagine the banks do somehow, as there is really no reason for the transfers not to happen instantly.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • 2e0arr
    No, the FCA sets the limits within which the rules are up to the issuers.

So if, for example, the card issuers decided to introduce an annual fee for debit cards to cover the administration cost of the many cards that are only ever used in cash machines, then that's up to them. The only interest the FCA would have is whether the level of fee is reasonable and whether it was explained properly to customers.

Have a look at these principles ?
    Principle 3 Management and control...A firm must take reasonable care to organise and control its affairs responsibly and effectively, with adequate risk management system.

Principle 6 Customers' interests...A firm must pay due regard to the interests of its customers and treat them fairly.

Principle 7 Communications with clients...A firm must pay due regard to the information needs of its clients, and communicate information to them in a way which is clear, fair and not misleading.
    p, li { white-space: pre-wrap; }
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport