PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Weekly Flylady Thread 7th May 2018

Comments

• Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Thank you Ionafan, and I hope you have a lovely, lovely day. So exciting!
    Better is good enough.
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    First things first - you need to be able to eat.

You might need to declutter as well as clean -

First - chuck all empty packets, half eaten boxes, packets, tins, bottles and jars. Clear the countertop. Clean the countertop. Clear the sink. Clean the sink. Start washing up. Clear the hob. Clean the hob. Wash up pans left on the hob.

Things like books, magazines and food containers - books into spare room, magazines into recycling, tupperware, takeaway containers into the bin (you can get more at a pound shop if you find out later you need them).

Chuck out rusted pans, buckled trays and cracked crockery.

That starts you off - keep the sink, counter and hob clean, wiping up as you cook, sticking packets into the bin or putting away the moment you stop using them. Wash up bits as you go along - less to do after tea when you just want to sit down. Whilst the sink is filling for after tea, wipe over the hob.

Add in more bits as you get used to having somewhere to prepare and cook food.

NEXT - your bedroom. Because it's where you rest.

Most importantly, strip and make your bed with all fresh linen. Once you've got a nice, clean bed to fall into (or lie on when it's hot), start thinking about the next thing that you notice as you lie there - a box of stuff? An overfull wastepaper bin? Heaps of stuff on a dressing table? Keep your bed clean, no putting things on it, just deal with that one thing. If it means making the spare room look worse, so be it - your bedroom is more important because you're the one who uses it.

If you have a clean bed and a way of feeding yourself, the rest will follow.

Himself is all a flip floppy waify drip today. It's too hot for the poor love and he wants to have a nap. Like he's been up all day whilst I've been at work.

I was up at stupid o'clock with the joys of AF pain, so faffed around trying to find something cool enough to wear without it highlighting my bloated belly. Then went to work to find the s*dding central heating was still on. I was not happy.

I have therefore done next to nothing all day and snuck out early because everybody else seemed to have already left for the day.

Idiot Cat has fallen out the window again. Just as well it's the ground floor.

Decluttering/kon mari has been in and out of my life this past 18 months, i actually don’t have a great deal of ‘stuff’ i just need better organisation. I much prefer when the counters are clear. Im going to have a good read of this tonight again once i am home and see if i can pluck inspiration from your help – thank you!:cool:
  • Dizzy_Imp
    Dizzy_Imp Posts: 2,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello flyladies and welcome to the newbies :wave:

Feeling wobbly today, both mentally and physically I'm afraid. I've got a dress on that used to make me feel great, but it now looks like a skin-tight T shirt and is utterly gross. I'm seriously considering going to the GP for help with my eating. Any advice, other than wire my jaws shut?

Right, off to sort out my bedroom. Should burn off a few calories...
  • klew356
    klew356 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Dizzy_Imp wrote: »
    Hello flyladies and welcome to the newbies :wave:

Feeling wobbly today, both mentally and physically I'm afraid. I've got a dress on that used to make me feel great, but it now looks like a skin-tight T shirt and is utterly gross. I'm seriously considering going to the GP for help with my eating. Any advice, other than wire my jaws shut?

Right, off to sort out my bedroom. Should burn off a few calories...

Aww im the same, i have started to bring out the summer clothes for work and im already feeling like crap in them, i cant spin this week so apart from walking with the dog im not getting alot of exercise either grrrrr :mad::D
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 40,981 Forumite
    ionafan wrote: »
    I don't take credit for the dot-to-dotting - it was happening long before I joined this thread (Anj's Mum springs to mind???).

AnWsmum ... but close enough.. I think of her often.. lovely lady <3.

Spent the day dealing with Jasper.. DD1 brought him round so I could experience his true horror for myself.. he was an angel... he ended up falling asleep on me .. then Twinkle climbed on so they were both asleep on me lol.

Off to dump craft stuff at school.. and maybe collect some beasties,
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • Honey_Bear
    I'm freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee of him! It feels marvellous.
    Better is good enough.
  • ionafan
    ionafan Posts: 4,419 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    pigpen wrote: »
    AnWsmum ... but close enough.. I think of her often.. lovely lady <3.
    As you say, close!

We have been out as planned, got measured up, enjoyed a good lunch and ended with a very pleasant walk along a wooded limestone escarpment with a quarry full of fossils :) Came home and caught up with zzz (I need min 7 hours a night, but always wake up after 5 or 6 :() and have since mown the lawn, dug up about 100 dandelions and buttercups, and cleared nettles from around the back gate so that I can get in and out with Rosie without being stung.

Help! I have had a reply about the ad that I placed on Gluetree a couple of weeks ago (child's car seat) and am now panicking about the fact that someone has asked if it is still available and might want to come and see it while DH is out.

Must get on with admin work this evening - it's fast becoming a toad :eek:

Enjoy your new-found freedom, HB :j It's amazing how much hard work some friends prove to be.
  • Another relatively unproductive day, but did get some things sorted - including time off for the next dentist visit :(

Rather disappointed to find a lunchbox full of leaves (and nothing else) today, but thanks to the joy that is a Parents' Evening, I could grab a couple of slices of pizza from the Staffroom before coming home.

Himself has been doing the washing today - I walked into the lovely smell of Fairy and Comfort Pure (no eco friendly stuff on offer this month and we'd run out).

As far as dealing with food goes, I don't recommend entrusting your dietary needs to a frankly erratic Catering Department. However, what does work for me is deciding what I actually like, rather than what I felt obliged to buy (and then obliged to eat) because other people expected it.

Examples of what would be expected vs. what I prefer would be;

Lasagne & chips
    fresh cauliflower cheese on masses of salad.
    Pasta bolognese
    courgette ribbons, coriander pesto, on salad with extra pine nuts.
    Fish and chips
    fresh fish seared in a pan, dumped on bowl of salad including leaves, cucumber, tomato, new potatoes (or, if salmon, a whole avocado sliced up), a small splash of oil and lemon squeezed on top.
    Boiled egg & soldiers
    boiled egg, pinch of sea salt flakes on top, lightly cooked asparagus spears and a tiny bit of butter.
    Ice cream/cookies/cake/biscuits
    big tub of prepacked melon or fresh fruit salad, a little coconut yoghurt.
    Milkshake (prepackaged or in a powder/syrup)
    cold coconut milk blitzed with fresh or frozen fruit and half a banana if the fruit isn't quite sweet enough alone.
    Another cup of tea/coffee/fizzy drink/beer
    water. (Not that I don't have all of the previously listed, I just don't have a second, third or fourth).
    Chicken Tikka Masala and all the fried extras from a delivery place
    veggie curry (potatoes, okra, mushroom, lentil or chickpea, for example), homemade, no dairy (so onion, garlic, ginger, spices, tomato puree, tinned tomatoes and a blob of tarmarind paste/chutney, half bag of spinach or salad leaves from the fridge and fresh coriander chucked in at the end to wilt and a small toasted flat bread.
    Chinese Takeaway/Supermarket bagged meal for 2/4 including very sweet sauce, no vegetables, fried rice, prawn crackers, noodles
    salt & pepper squid, prawn balls/vegetable tempura or packets of steamable dim sum/chicken gyoza.

This isn't always mega healthy - I'll quite happily have a large iced coffee with caramel syrup every couple of months (with coconut milk, preferably - I don't drink cows' milk because it makes me feel bloated, sick and the doctor reckons it probably made my autoimmune nonsense worse), but I have black coffee every day, so I've got the room for manoeuvre there, I am fond of gin and any variant of elderflower or rose flavoured fizzy drink (plus the occasional cheap and nasty energy drink because I need a kick up the behind to get moving when I haven't slept well), but I don't feel like I have to have them everyday because they're currently sat in the fridge - they're there if I want them.

Upshot of all that is that, whilst I don't particularly record these things, I'm finding stuff in the wardrobe that I must have been given that didn't fit, I've put it away and promptly forgotten about it and now fits perfectly - even on my biggest week. So my shape has at least changed. And, even if it's TMI, I've always had tummy issues since I was a baby. Always - visits to the hospital, medication, xrays, the lot. But since I've started on my meds for Psoriatic Arthritis and eaten more like this, my tummy has been functioning exactly as I've read it's supposed to do for the first time in my life.

I've also managed to make sure my blood test results are good - Hb is in the healthy range and, possibly quite relevant here, I've got my Vitamin D level up from severe deficiency to slap bang in the middle of ideal. Vitamin D levels can affect your mood (as my PsA inflammation levels do), lack of sunlight/daylight can make you feel lousy and generally being malnourished isn't going to help anybody feel good about themselves or feel energetic.

Obviously, it's not medical advice - if you're actually feeling depressed, you need to see your GP, you need to get any physical illnesses excluded - but in the meantime, do you think you are actually eating foods that you like, nourish you and give you what you physically need, rather than stuff that enables you to squash down bad feelings, gives you a bit of a sugar/carb high/makes you feel sleepy/punishes you because you, for some reason, don't believe that you deserve food that makes you feel good or healthy?
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Honey_Bear
    Jojo, very sorry to have to let you know that lovely Billy, landlord of the Dolphin, died on Sunday or Monday this week.
    Better is good enough.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,759 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Wooty Wooty Woot Woot...

DS 'sort of' lost his management job at the pubs (2; in a mini chain) because fo reorganisation BUT they kept him on a zero hours contract with the 'promise' of 16 hours a week. Well he did 16 hours 1 week...
    So he has pulled himself up by the bootstraps (always hard when you've been rejected) and got applying. At the end of this month, after a 4 stage recruitment process :eek: he starts with a 'proper' company. Now he's told them at the pub I can share. But I'm not actually wooting about that (though that's excellent news) I am wooting because he has taken my suggestion that he sorts through his room before he starts at the end of the month (think hoarders) and has flung no end of gibble. So I am quickly separating into bin/recycling/CS/I'll have that.
    For his new job he has to wear suits etc; very formal.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family