Why don't companies show salaries when posting jobs?

Noticed that a lot of the time when applying directly for a job, a salary range is not published. Quite annoying as you can have a similar if not same title but big difference in salary and position.

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    They're likely to be paying at the lower end of the market and are coy about advertising this.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd say the above is basically on the money.
    Know what you don't
  • Don’t want existing staff learning about higher rates to new starts.

Haven’t quite set salary.

All is not as it seems.

They want to chat it over first - two examples recently where one employer asked what salary requirements where at point of offering interview - managed to be in for potentially £500 extra if took job on above that of my current salary and then an extra grand when I would pass probation so it was tailed to what my current pay is clearly - pity I hate the type of interview they do...!

Another was a telesales role where if you don’t make your target for commission then you’ve the opportunity to work overtime to ensure you do.

Neither would have read well in a advert?
  • because retention is cheaper than recruiting and they don't want existing employees to get wind of it
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I work for a large American oil company. They don't advertise the salary but will tell you if you ask before or on the interview.

I am in a collective bargaining group. All our salaries and grades are published in a booklet.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    as above and also because they don't know who is going to be applying and/or exactly who they want. Could be a superstar with loads of experience or could be a newbie
  • Exodi
    Exodi Posts: 2,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    But then, I was offered an interview for another role within the business I worked. I had the first initial 45 minute interview/discussion about the role, near the end I enquired about the salary to which the HR representative said that the salary wouldn't be discussed at this stage.

Fast forward two weeks, a second successful interview and again no discussion of salary as directed by the HR representative.

A further week later, I receive a letter with the formal job offer and find out the salary is less than what I was currently on... all could have been avoided by initially disclosing the salary range.

HR departments, what would you do without 'em.
    Know what you don't
  • My personal bugbear is "competitive salary", which I'm certain translates to "we're paying the minimum market rate, which is the same as many of our competitors pay - so that makes it competitive". Meh!

If a salary is halfway decent the company will advertise it to draw people in.
    "The problem with Internet quotes is that you can't always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864
  • ohreally wrote: »
    They're likely to be paying at the lower end of the market and are coy about advertising this.
    Yes I agree with this, or potentially they want to see what calibre of candidates they might attract.
    Say a company has a role that might be worth £30k-£35k across the industry. If they advertise this scale, they are essentially committing themselves to pay that amount. They could get an applicant who is maybe younger, less experienced or doesn't fully meet all the criteria, but the interviewer likes and wants to take a chance on. They might be able to get away with offering the candidate significantly less, because they haven't "shown their hand" with what they might have been prepared to offer.
    Not saying its right, but it can happen, companies will try and get away with paying as little as possible, especially when they have their choice from a large number of applications.
    Mortgage = [STRIKE]£113,495 (May 2009)[/STRIKE] £67462.74 Jun 2019
  • Jane_B
    Jane_B Posts: 131 Forumite
    The ones I have dealt with are usually because they don't want to pay the higher end of their bracket. Most workplaces I have dealt with typically go along the lines of 'If I advertise X job at £40,000, someone who is currently on £30k might apply and expect the full £40k - when they might have been happy with £32k)

I personally never apply for roles without the salary advertised, as it can be a waste of time. Salary for me typically indicates job level, so if a role is ambiguous in title, salary usually help place if I am under qualified/under experienced etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure